1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What will it take to make you seriously consider an EV?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by jiggyfly, Mar 31, 2021.

1. CXbby

CXbby Member

That data is incorrect. Tesla is +80% yoy in the US in 2021 and current the largest luxury carmaker by sales in the US(Mercedes, bmw, Porsche, Audi etc)

Not largest EV luxury carmaker in the US. Luxury carmaker, period, gas or otherwise. The cars that outsell it, gm, Toyota, Honda etc costs half as much.

ramotadab likes this.
  2. CXbby

CXbby Member

Speaking of company not being around

https://www.wsj.com/amp/articles/ri...-departed-amid-production-ramp-up-11641849820

probably don’t want you COO leaving during your ramp when that’s…the COO’s primary responsibility

3. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

In my RAV4 PHEV, I can do 40 miles on EV. I pay $0.11/kWh, and a full charge is 14.5kWh for a total of $1.60. Alternatively, I could run on gas which is roughly 40mpg, and the going rate of gas is $2.60. So I save $1 per 40 miles on EV vs gas.

All my driving in town is in EV mode. I only use gas when driving to Houston.

jiggyfly likes this.
  4. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

5. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Nice. How much was your RAV4?

6. Duncan McDonuts

Bought it for $42k at MSRP. Had to get it shipped from the NE as no Texas dealers were getting allocations. I get the full $7500 tax credit.

ramotadab likes this.
  7. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

8. FrontRunner

FrontRunner Member

Everyone should watch that.

9. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

10. KingCheetah

11. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

The state of Delhi in India just mandated EVs for all delivery services. By 2023, half of all purchases must be EVs and it goes up from there.

Ford had over 1500 TV ads run for EVs in 2021 compared to less than 100 in 2019.

The majority of German national ads are now for EVs. EV ad spending is now more than 3 times for ICE cars.

European sales of EVs topped diesel sales for the first time in 2021.

Hybrid sales in the US hit a record high in 2021.

ICE is a dead man walking. Lots of stranded assets over the next 20 years, including a bunch of Houston infrastructure. Plan accordingly regarding jobs and housing.

Meanwhile, the largest EV market by numbers continues to be bikes with 35 million sold in 2021. Almost 90% of those were in China. Going from ICE to EV auto cuts emissions by about 50%. Going to an electric bike cuts emissions by 98.5%.

If we had better bike infrastructure and better bike security, I would be riding one for most in-town errands. If I ever move, I want to move somewhere I can use one of these on a regular basis:

[​IMG]

ramotadab and jiggyfly like this.
  12. KingCheetah

I've been trying to buy an electric mountain bike for about 2 years -- they just aren't available anywhere (they are pricey as well).

B-Bob likes this.
  13. KingCheetah

[​IMG]

OMG.

Rip Tesla

+

Sajan likes this.
  14. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

I have a PHEV as well with a 50-60 mile range and I'm personally a believer that they are the way to go. The reality is that we don't drive very much and a 40-50 mile EV range is more than enough to cover most daily commutes (especially with working from home due to covid). I fill the gas tank once every three months simply due to the fact that most driving is done in EV mode.

It would be nice to be full electric but from an environmental standpoint, one can build multiple PHEV vehicles with the battery capacity installed on a single Tesla. All while giving each of those PHEVs the ability to operate on full EV for most daily commutes. In my opinion, its the most practical path towards reducing emissions but it seems like everyone just wants a full EV.

15. Duncan McDonuts

I agree that PHEV makes sense at the moment. I've read some gloom on the horizon for PHEVs because they think the focus should be on EVs, especially with the 2030 deadlines. While battery tech is improving, I don't think it's close to phasing out ICE completely. Solid state batteries are going to help, but those will get introduced in 2025'ish. When you factor in that there isn't a strong enough charging infrastructure, I doubt manufacturers will be full EV by 2030.

PHEVs make more sense to me, too. You can increase the range up to 100 miles if needed with the newer solid state batteries, but 50-60 miles is more than enough for most daily driving. I think PHEVs can be optimal for another decade at least.

16. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Now officially 2 months since we brought the Mustang Mach E home. No issues so far. We're very happy with the car for running around town mode. We'll take a trip of five hours drive time next month, so we'll see how it does and how much of a pain it is to charge on the road.

Still learning things about the car. The BlueCruise self-drive mode on the highways is cool but scary as hell. It's also a little more jerky than when a human has the wheel. I do like the lane assist and I'm amazed by the speed limit info it gathers. It's still way too easy to go fast as you don't hear the RPMs. More than once I've looked down and am clocking 40 in a 25 or similar. Have to be vigilant.

Heating the cabin is no problem--even on cold nights--though it does affect the range.

The carrying capacity is greater than I expected. We bought my wife an office chair the other day and the hatch closed with room to spare.

Still charging at home out of a regular outlet. Don't see a need to upgrade as we are not daily commuters.

Will work on taxes next week and see what a difference that sweet $7500 tax credit makes.

In short, 10/10 and would buy again.

17. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Nice breakdown.

How much charge are you getting overnight?

How much charge do you usually drive with.

ramotadab likes this.
  18. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Damn, got all barber shop in here.

KingCheetah and jiggyfly like this.
  19. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

GM prioritizes faster EV launches ahead of fatter profits

They already said they were going to launch a $30k Chevy Equinox, but apparently are looking to release something even cheaper. Interesting for those looking for cheaper alternatives -- a segment that hasn't gotten any love because of how pricey EVs are for most. Hopefully the cheaper alternatives aren't rattlecan death-traps.

jiggyfly and FrontRunner like this.
  20. KingCheetah

Have you corrected your rim issue?

FrontRunner likes this.