1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Davis Mills - From not to hot

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Two Sandwiches, Sep 19, 2021.

1. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

I see a more athletic Matt Schaub. Sketchy on the deep balls, but money in the intermediate game. If Mills can work in his wheels in a timely manner ala a Mahomes or Rodgers then his game would open up. He's earned another year to prove the doubters wrong. It will be a tough decision next year if Mills doesnt take the next step and you have a high draft pick looking at bonafide blue chippers at the position in 2023.

2. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Watching these highlights, I'm struck by how often he throws the ball without setting his feet. And he seems to do it relatively well. It's unusual for a guy to have any kind of accuracy when throwing off the back foot or in mid-stride. But he seems pretty comfortable doing it. I remember watching Mahomes do that a ton when he first came into the league. It typically seemed to work out for him but I kept thinking it would catch up with him eventually, but he is just really good at it. Hopefully Mills continues to be so as well.

3. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

This is what I’ve noticed as well. His arm talent is legit. His feet are legit.
    Would like to see him tighten it up a bit, that’s where his potential is.

raining threes and deb4rockets like this.
  4. Kemahkeith

Kemahkeith Member
    Supporting Member

At a minimum you have to let him go into next year as the QB and give him some more o line, and a quality running back. If he doesn't make the grade we will be rewarded with another high first round pick. Coupled with the picks from the Watson trade and loads of free agent money. We are NOT going to win the super bowl next year anyway. Let it ride he is house money. Surround him with talent at positions of need and don't waste picks reaching for the QB lack of class this year. Brady would not have gotten us to the playoffs this year.

5. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Those two things aren't mutually exclusive. I firmly believe that Mills should be our day 1 starting QB and the job is his until he proves otherwise, but I also believe it's entirely plausible that he faceplants next year and we never hear from him again. Given that, it would be smart to take a QB to 1) insure against injury 2) insure against failure and 3) keep healthy competition going. Everyone around here is acting like this is a huge investment or heresy, but it's really not. The best run franchises do this and its easy to claw back value on an underutilized QB prospect.

Like I said, you either believe he's the guy or he isn't. You saying "he deserves a chance to show he is the man" signals you don't believe he's the guy. If so, why would you not be drafting QBs until you have answered that question in your mind? The last 20 years are littered with case studies of teams who draft a QB, stop investing in the position, everything goes to hell, and then 2-3 years later they're back at square one again. That's a guaranteed way to maximize the amount of time on the rebuild treadmill.

6. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

I think Mills at minimum can be that guy next year and at best your guy. There’s no QB’s in this draft that I feel have a for sure better future than Mills. That’s the point I’m making. If Mills falls flat, then we take a Qb and move on. Use the draft capital you will get from being bad, trading Watson, and trading Tunsil this year towards improving the whole team. We saw Mills with a good run game once this year. I want to see that all the time.

raining threes likes this.
  7. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

er whut?

[​IMG]

This is where you lose me. Nobody thought Mills was worth much, either. None of us are draft experts. I approach each draft assuming I don't know **** about ****, because I don't. Other than the once-every-20-years generational thoroughbred QB, trying to time the market is mostly a fools game.

You move on, but you also put yourself another year behind in the rebuild. If you take a QB this year and Mills flames out, you can either A) start the new guy immediately and get a sneak peek at what you have or B) at least have a more prepared QB ready to go next year instead of just throwing another greenhorn to the wolves.

To me I don't know how anyone can be ready to give Mills the wheel no-questions-asked. He acquitted himself nicely this year and I'm excited to see what comes, but I'm not so foolhardy as to think the actuarial tables aren't very much against our search being over with Mills.

8. HeyBudLetsParty

Was thinking Schaub earlier but I’ll give his zip more credit than that. Andre would routinely take the top of the defense and have to slow down to catch the pass, I think Mills does a better job of leading the receiver while not having elite zip.

9. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

10. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

Should have been allowed to play uptempo much sooner

11. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

His arm is more Burrow/Brady. Strong but not elite. Can fire it in when needed but doesn’t need the fast ball all the time.

raining threes, whag00 and Rudyc281 like this.
  12. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

Yup…as trader_jorge mentioned earlier he throws with touch, anticipation and accuracy. 3 things more important than pure arm strength.

13. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Right, you add those with well above average strength and you got something

raining threes and whag00 like this.
  14. raining threes

Have you not watched the 49ers game on that beautiful deep throw to Cooks that got called back on a Brown holding call? Deep accuracy isn't an issue. Mills has a much better arm than Schaub ever had and much more accurate than Schaub on deep throws too.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  15. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Apparently has the best passer rating in the league on deep balls

16. Buck Turgidson

To be honest: he also threw up at least a half-dozen balls that should have been picked off but turned into catches or inc.

17. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Maybe a couple, he also put some where only the receiver could catch the ball.
    Hell, Watson did that all the time with Hopkins

18. Buck Turgidson

No, it was way more, don't deny it.

Mills threw some straight up WTF passes that worked out as incompletions and not INTs.

19. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

What plays in particular? Since there are so many

If a ball is placed where only the receiver can catch it that’s a good ball.

20. raining threes

This all comes down to if you think there's a franchise QB in this draft. Do you think there's one? I dont. So you're wasting a draft pick.