1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fired Culley

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by DaDakota, Dec 5, 2021.

1. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Last year the Texans fired BOB super early (first week of October) and still were one of the last teams to make a hire (last week of January).

2. showa13

showa13 Member

Are y’all really that against Brian Flores? He hasn’t had much to work with in Miami and has had some moments. Wouldn’t be my first choice, but much rather him than Josh McDaniels as Pats South HC.

Also I’m almost 100% sure a HC change will have zero impact on Deshaun getting traded.

3. mario_v

mario_v Member

I think they are just waiting on Flores to decide if he wants the job or not.

4. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Opinion or sources??

raining threes likes this.
  5. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Opinion

Rudyc281 likes this.
  6. Buck Turgidson

What retired coach will they hire to conduct the month-long external evaluation this time, only to have them recommend no changes. Reeves, Dungy...now who?

7. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Charlie Weis and/or Romeo Crennel. Maybe Eric Mangini, Al Groh, Jim Schwartz, and Matt Patricia will also be considered.

Slyonebluejay and Buck Turgidson like this.
  8. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://www.nfl.com/news/ranking-nf...ich-job-is-most-enticing?campaign=Twitter_atn

David Culley was given a virtually bare cupboard and outperformed expectations. His firing would suggest that he was never more than a lame duck and that would be a blight on the franchise. The next coach will take over a team that appears to be set to trade the franchise quarterback who didn't want to be there. Deshaun Watson is expected to draw a load of picks that will be the foundation of the rebuild, but it is a long climb up with very real questions about ownership. This would be Cal McNair's second head coach hire in as many years and any candidate will have to wonder about who has McNair's ear. The presence of Nick Caserio as general manager means Josh McDaniels' name is going to circulate around this opening, but this would be the least desirable job of the ones mentioned here.

Rudyc281 and conquistador#11 like this.
  9. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

10. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

HC Josh McDaniels
    OC ??
    QB coach Josh McCown

11. Juxtaposed Jolt

Yeah, you're looking at it from a fan's perspective, which I totally get.

But there's only 32 NFL HC jobs in the entire world. If there's an opening, regardless of how bad the team's outlook is for the foreseeable future, you have to deeply consider it.

It's hard to just dismiss the job outright, especially if you're a candidate they like.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  12. Htown Legend

Htown Legend Member

You do realize that Brian Flores is a former Patriots DC, right?

Genesis and Rudyc281 like this.
  13. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

That it's "still up in the air" seems like it's bad news for Culley.

raining threes, Fulgore and Rudyc281 like this.
  14. raining threes

!st of all, you must not believe Cal when he says that Caserio in in charge of the football operations side of the org. I believe Cal because nothing so far has made me believe anything Caserio has done looks like he's not calling the shots. Easterby has a role but he's not running things.

2nd Belichick makes final calls, not Caserio. Caserio makes suggestions and from what I've read Belichick relied more on the college coaches opinions than Caserio's. Why do I believe this? Because this last draft, without 1st/2nd rd picks Caserio found who I consider to be who will end up the best QB in this draft in the 3rd rd. Plus a contributor at WR and TE in the 3rd rd and later. Add in late rd depth guys like Wallow and Lopez and Caserio did a great job in last yrs draft. I'm looking forward to seeing what Caserio can do with a full complement of draft picks.

3rd of all, there's a difference between a team of players with character and a team full of religious guys. The Pats had guys with character concerns on their teams, once they were ready to compete for championships. They've added guys like Moss/Dillon/AB/Talib etc.. and have drafted troubled guys like J.C. Jackson/Chung etc... I expect when the time comes Caserio will do what was done in Foxboro and add some of these kinds of guys in an attempt to put them over the top. But time will tell.

4th I'm hoping after this season Caserio will hire the HC that can put all of the talent together that he accumulates in the next 2 FA/draft cycles. McDaniels (Who's Caserio's college roommate and McDaniels brother is on staff.) would be the optimal hire to help develop Mills. I think Caserio is going to wait and see if McDaniels want to cometo Kirby before he decides what to do with Culley. Unfortunately Pep looks like he's going to be the next OC in Carolina and that could set Mills development back if he McDaniels decides not to take the job down on Kirby.

15. conquistador#11

Only those in the nepotism circle enjoy the nepotism,

'we are not Patriots south"

16. Rocket Guy

Rocket Guy Member

One small thing I noticed was Brian Flores agent Sean Kiernan works for AthleteFirst. Same agency as Deshaun's agent David Mulugheta. Now I see possibly why Watson wanted to go to Miami.

17. raining threes

Why?

Flores had millions of dollars in FA and high draft picks to work with and he failed. Give me a chance at the guy proven that he can develop QB's like Mills. Flores is a great defensive mind but heruns through OC's like water. There's a reason for this and for this reason I would pass on Flores.

The reason Flores failed mainly is because his OL couldn't protect Tua. Looking back at things, trading Tunsil for those picks was a death knell to Flores tenure in South Beach.

18. showa13

showa13 Member

Yes, hence why I mentioned Pats south. If we’re going to go that route(hiring a former Pats coach) I’d rather him than McDaniels

19. raining threes

I disagree with this take.

Best rookie QB in the draft, plus the #3 pick and a boatload of picks in a Watson trade would make this one of the most desirable jobs. BTW, You dont hae to worry about who's calling the shots either, Caserio is calling all of the shots in personnel. Hopefully McDaniels will have an office down on Kirby in short order.

20. showa13

showa13 Member

That’s more on the GM than Flores(Miami’s GM is terrible btw). Again if we moved on from Culley Flores would not be my first choice, I just like him more than McDaniels if the choice was a former or current Pats coach.

Fulgore likes this.