1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Davis Mills - From not to hot

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Two Sandwiches, Sep 19, 2021.

1. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

What Mills has accomplished this year should definitely earn him the unquestioned starter position going into next year, however, the Texans can't let off the gas... they need to draft another QB with a high pick. With such a small sample size, there are no guarantees Mills doesn't turn into a pumpkin. That being said, for him to perform as he has with what was the consensus worst roster in the NFL this year is pretty remarkable and so I'm actually genuinely excited to see what he can do with a real team around him (and probably a new OC/HC).

2. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It is important to remember how bad Mills looked in spring training versus where he is now. I had forgotten about those reports of him throwing horrendous interceptions and just looking lost. For him to come this far in such a short period of time does bode well for improvements next season. Maybe he's never much better than he was the last half of this season, but if that's the case then he's a QB you can win a lot of games with if you just actually surround him with some talent.

With the general ineptitude of how this team has handled things leading up to Caserio's hiring, I was about ready to forgo my Texans fandom and find another team. I told myself if they traded Watson that would be the last straw (this was before all the weird sex deviant stuff came out).

But now...now I feel somewhat positive about the future and Watson is a distant spec in my memory. If we get even a reasonable trade for him that will be more resources for Caserio to build with. I haven't heard Easterby's name in months (and I'm staying the hell out of that thread for a reason). I'm pretty meh on Culley and don't feel like he's the guy for this team, but that can be corrected if need be.

In general, I'm so much more positive about this team's future than I was 5 months ago. I hope it is not a mirage.

3. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Most rookies look bad early on because their "internal clock" is moving too fast as they adjust to the speed of the game. This means they are forcing throws, locking on to their receivers on plays, and panicking in the pocket. What gives me confidence with Mills is that he seems poised and he is constantly looking downfield and reading the field. His throws have a loft and touch to them that creates a very catchable ball. And he anticipates very well -- often making throws where the receiver doesn't look open, but he throws it before a WR's break is made (or before the WR turns his head around) and before the defender can adjust. These traits are really hard to coach. When you combine that with his intelligence and maturity, it's very promising.

4. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

From "worst QB prospect ever" to serviceable in one year is a great accomplishment for him. He has answered the critics on the field and has shown enough to give him an extra year to ensure that he can be the franchise QB. Once he can pick and choose the spots to use his feet and feel the pressure better it will elevate his game even more. Perfect way for him to end the year (minus the loss obviously).

cmoak1982 likes this.
  5. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

He certainly made significant progress from training camp to yesterday, He deserves a chance to continue to grow and its not like were one player away from being good so we have time to try and develop him, IMO he has gone from hoping he is a serviceable number 2 to someone who "might" be a decent QB1.........not sure how much Pep H had to do with this but if he`s the reason for the improvement then we must keep him.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  6. HeyBudLetsParty

Watching the highlights, his arm is an enigma. He’s put some balls into tight windows 20-30 yards down field that only a hand full of quarterbacks can make, but he doesn’t necessarily have that fast ball like the elite guys. Ultimately it’s gonna come down to anticipation if we want to be able to take the top off the defense.

Who would you compare his arm and throwing ability with?

cmoak1982 likes this.
  7. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

He has a strong arm, but he likes to have touch probably too much.

8. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

I think they need to go BPA for the next few years unless you get an Andrew luck level prospect come through the draft. The Jags may have ruined Trevor Lawrence due to the lack of talent around him. This is a full rebuild. Whether you want to start with the line or defense. That needs the attention. Mills actually showed flashes of being a very good QB. Let him prove it next year.

SuraGotMadHops and cmoak1982 like this.
  9. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Mills has made significant progress and I think currently he can be a very good backup to low level starter but is that what we're shooting for?

To me he's sort of a Case Keenum type. He can win you a few games here and there but not for the whole season.

10. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Not sure what you are basing that on. Even some of the best veteran quarterbacks from the past 20 years with 4 years of college experience had worse starting years than Mills.

11. Buck Turgidson

20 years of experience at tampering expectations for the Texans franchise?

12. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Nothing was a worse decision than trusting Creeper to stop creeping and sign him to a new contract. I feel better with Mills already.

13. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

The very first thing you need for a rebuild is your franchise QB.

Until Mills proves beyond a shadow of a doubt he is that, you need to keep taking QBs, otherwise you're pissing up a rope.

If you believe he's the guy, that's fine, but I personally think it's too early to tell.

14. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

I agree that his arm is kind of weird. He throws one of the best (high arc, tight spiral, usually on the money even when running) deep (25+ yards) balls in the league, but he does not have an amazingly fast release nor is the ball velocity ungodly but damn if it ain't pretty.

HeyBudLetsParty and cmoak1982 like this.
  15. Buck Turgidson

He also stands in the pocket well some, then other times has dancing feet

cmoak1982 likes this.
  16. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

This is true. Gotta calm the feet down. On the bright side he’s shown he can make some nice throws without a solid base and off platform. Every physical tool is there

Zen Tabak likes this.
  17. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

His floor is probably closer to Jameis Winston or Kirk Cousins.
    High side is a Joe Burrow type.

Fulgore likes this.
  18. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

You better not reach this year. There isn't a guy out there that would be considered a better prospect than Mills had he stayed in college. I have seen enough to say that Mills deserves to show he is the man next year which means you aren't drafting a QB this year. Nor should you imo. Remember, Mills just had arguably the best season from a rookie QB with the worst supporting cast. His arm talent is above average, he has natural talent and an ability to be accurate no matter what his feet are doing. That is traits guys like Mahomes and Rodgers have. There is def something there. Lets see if he keeps improving. Wasting a pick on a QB this year would not be intelligent.

cmoak1982 and cbass like this.
  19. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

If he’s cousins then Texans will definitely take that.

whag00 and cmoak1982 like this.
  20. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I know Cousins is a religious fit, he gets a lot of hate but his numbers are pretty damn good. Specially for a 4th round pick.

Fulgore and whag00 like this.