1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Teachers

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by DudeWah, Sep 16, 2015.

1. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Dude what the hell are you talking about, Teachers are entrusted with 40 to 60 children everyday shaping and molding the mental and emotional abilities while the average government worker is doing glorified data entry and have nothing to do with national security, water safety, infrastructure safety and don't impact are daily lives at all.

Either you are being obtuse or you don't have a clue of what is asked of an average teacher or the average gov worker.

No teachers cannot ignore emails and phone calls because if they do then those parents start complaining to the principal and the supervisor.

Teachers have just as much paperwork duty as government workers, all while babysitting and teaching 80 kids a day and mediating emotional outburst on a minute by minute basis.

This is not ******** on government workers and by the way there is no such thing as a "gov worker" some surf the internet all day and some have tremendous responsibilities and deadlines, so it's disingenuous to try and use them as one bunch of workers.

Yes gov workers are valuable but not many have the duties and responsibilities of a teacher day to day.

CourtOfDreams likes this.
  2. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

3. Nook

Nook Member

I am not going to say teachers are not equipped to kill it in the private sector, I don't doubt some are.

I will just say that the private sector is very ruthless when it comes to high paying jobs, and there are less of them than people think.

jiggyfly and ElPigto like this.
  4. superfob

superfob Mommy WOW! I'm a Big Kid now.

True, STEM and business degrees are probably the fastest way to 6 figures, but you could equally say that those skills definitely don't translate to teaching either. The root issue is basically the US doesn't value teachers, which is reflected in their pay and characterization as babysitters.

Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if this is because it was always a woman's profession.

Other equally underpaid and essential jobs like firefighters get more respect.

dmoneybangbang, Nook and jiggyfly like this.
  5. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I don't disagree with any of this, and that's the reason teachers do not seek out those jobs in droves and why people in the public sector go to teaching positions.

I don't think private sector jobs are easy at all, it totally was not my point, I was just saying that teachers are the ultimate multitaskers and have skills that are very useful in the private sector.

Nook likes this.
  6. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

That makes total sense because traditionally it was a glorfied babbysitter, just look at the respect the title professer brings because it's usually a male position.

A "teacher traditionally was the 2nd job in the family while the male was the bread winner.

dmoneybangbang and Nook like this.
  7. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

can't tell if this is a teacher excellence story or a covid story. probably deserves its own thread

Mom allegedly stuffed son in trunk because he had COVID, needed to be quarantined

https://nypost.com/2022/01/08/texas...edly-stuffed-son-in-trunk-at-covid-test-site/

excerpt:

Beam, who has worked as a teacher in the Cypress-Fairbanks Independent School District since 2011, explained she was trying to keep her son isolated.

“(The mother) stated that she put (her son) inside the trunk to prevent her from getting exposed to possible COVID while driving (him) to the stadium for additional testing,” the filing says.

Gordon told Beam that she and her son would not be tested until the teen was removed from the trunk and seated in the back seat of the car. He then called the police.

The school district runs the testing site and has its own police department which investigated the incident. Cops said the child “was not harmed.”

Surveillance footage from the testing site showed Beam opening the trunk door and her son climbing out, according to the probable cause statement.

The Cypress Fairbanks ISD Police Department said a warrant was issued for Beam’s arrest Friday on child endangerment charges.

Beam most recently worked as a teacher at Cypress Falls High School. She has been placed on administrative leave.
    more at the link

8. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

We don't value liberal arts degrees entirely.

Creative? Fake it on social media till you make it.
    Journalist? Fake it on social media till you make it.
    History/language major? Could've googled that ,then fake your bona fides on social media till you make it.
    Political science? Say stupidshit, get elected because voters are faking their own competence, then help Rome burn faster.

There's nothing wrong with this picture at all.

AkeemTheDreem86 and Nook like this.
  9. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

10. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Somebody needed some attention.

What does this article have to do with the current ongoing reasonable conversation that was going on?

Do better O's.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  11. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

this is a thread about generic high school teachers and the woman who stuffed her own son in the trunk of her car is a generic high school teacher. If anything, I am completely on point as far as the theme of the thread goes and you are WAY out of line. :p

12. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

also in my experience generic high school teachers are terrible. We want brand name high school teachers if we want our children to grow up well-educated. ;)

13. CourtOfDreams

CourtOfDreams Member

My wife is an AP. Works 10 to 11 hours days. Seriously, **** y’all talking down on educators. Doing their job was hard enough and add in Covid? I hardly post but damn.

14. CourtOfDreams

CourtOfDreams Member

To my previous point most all educators do it because they love kids and want to better the community. They know the pay is less than they deserve. They don’t go into it with an agenda whether political or religious. They want to better kids and our future.

Have we gotten so far with “red tie blue tie” bullsh!t we now **** on teachers? I mean honestly?

15. CourtOfDreams

CourtOfDreams Member

I await all your fringe political memes/cartoons.

16. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Sux a once respected field is losing good people and for several compelling reasons... It only makes the wagons circle closer among the weaker links, therefore stifling discussion of meaningful wholesale reform.

www.wsj.com /articles/teachers-are-quitting-and-companies-are-hot-to-hire-them-11643634181
    Companies Are Hot For Teacher