1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What will it take to make you seriously consider an EV?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by jiggyfly, Mar 31, 2021.

1. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

All great points and is something everyone should be asking themselves before they purchase.

I was talking about looks mainly and lets be real functionality is usually not high on the list for most truck buyers.:D

2. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

So they are gonna like going to charge stations and have to wait much longer to get electricity?

Every EV owner is not gonna have a charge point at home anytime soon and that's really gonna be an issue for apartment and condo people or people who live in multi occupant buildings.

No it's not easier than getting gas if simply because you don't have the number of charging stations like gas stations and not the number of charging access points like gas pumps at those stations and that's before how long it takes to get it takes to actually charge.

You are hand waving away a lot of the infrastructure issues with EV and not talking about how most people actually live, what about multi car families and charging multiple cars at home?

Uprising and ramotadab like this.
  3. Sajan

Sajan Member

All this hoopla about tesla breaking sales records...doesn't seem to be in the US.

2020 - 1.99% of total US sales
    2021 - 2.01% of total US sales

seriously.. @CXbby just 9000 cars more in the US YoY? that's it? 3% more sales doesn't seem significant in what's supposed to be big years for EV adoption.....

People gobbling up BMWs it seems?
    [​IMG]

#703 Sajan, Jan 9, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2022
    ramotadab likes this.
  4. Butterfingers

Butterfingers Contributing Member

Im trying to decide between base Porsche Taycan or Tesla Model S. I like the interior and self driving capability of Tesla but love the exterior of the Porsche, and like that less Taycan's are out there in the market. Any thoughts either way on either car?

ramotadab likes this.
  5. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Question: has Tesla had any factory stoppages?
    Has Tesla had any factory expansions?

If no to both of those questions, why would you expect any increase in production?

ramotadab likes this.
  6. Sajan

Sajan Member

I don't know man..I thought everyone was buying teslas and nothing else but I am seeing plenty of green for others in that chart.

7. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

ramotadab likes this.
  8. VanityHalfBlack

I thought this was funny and I just wanted to highlight that. I want a horse.

Asian Sensation likes this.
  9. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

I'll note my Mach-E is cheap to run. I figure about $8.50 for a 75-80% charge/210-230 winter miles. That's the cost of two gallons.

Of course, I'm in the NW where we get that good Bonneville Power electricity straight from the Columbia River dams.

10. Buck Turgidson

Poor salmon

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  11. rimrocker

12. Sajan

Sajan Member

Ya. Indicated by the TESLA sales stats I posted earlier.

Maybe the F150 and other cars might change it but MURICA ain't down for electric cars just yet it seems.
    Have you seen the monstrosities we drive around houston? they don't come in EV yet...

#712 Sajan, Jan 10, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2022
    ramotadab and jiggyfly like this.
  13. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Thoughts on the Lightning?

14. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

The other thing I notice about these countries is they're small. You can cross the entire country in what, a couple of hours? You couldn't drive across Texas in an EV if you wanted to. Americans enjoy road trips and doing 300+ miles in a day, without needing to purchase the larger battery and makes plans for exactly where to stop (and shopping for an hour while you do it).

ramotadab and Sajan like this.
  15. Sajan

Sajan Member

100% agree.
    For Americans, convenience > any benefits from an EV.........

Unless of course they have no other choice.

16. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I have not heard or read anybody talking about real world economics about the cost per miles as opposed to gas.

Less than 10 bucks to drive over 200 miles is great.

How much does it cost to charge a 3/4 of a charge in the average EV?

ramotadab likes this.
  17. rimrocker

https://www.kbb.com/car-news/how-much-does-it-cost-to-charge-an-ev/

Plus, the only maintenance is wipers, wiper fluid, cabin air filters, and brakes/tires. I suppose the lights will fail at some point and maybe an electrical system will fail too, but still, the cost to own is pretty darn cheap.

Ford's battery warranty is 8 years/100,000 miles guaranteed at 70% of original battery power. The decay over time is another reason I got the extended range on my Mach-E.

18. CXbby

CXbby Member

Where are you getting this data from? Tesla is up 80% yoy in the US. Tesla does not report local sales breakdowns but we know the exact number from data in Europe and China so can extrapolate US.

We know the numbers in your table are wrong because it has last year YTD at 292k when they only did 499k world wide. Usually half is in the US but last year Fremont was shutdown during the lockdowns and Shanghai carried the load.

Here are more accurate numbers:

Tesla global sales are up to 936k in 2021 from 499k in 2020. They are not up 3% in the US, that would mean all their growth was from international which we know isn’t the case, since international sales data are reported locally.

ramotadab likes this.
  19. CXbby

CXbby Member

This is 2020 data. EVs really took off in 2021, but it is true that US is still lagging EU and China. But won’t be the case after $8k tax incentive gets passed which Tesla will qualify for (they do not qualify for current $7500 incentive and no one wants to buy the other EVs that do qualify), and also when Tesla Austin begins production which will ramp up US supply (current 6-12 month wait on some Tesla models).

ramotadab likes this.
  20. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Im still waiting for a corolla ev that seats a 6'3 person comfortably and fits 8 people

ramotadab and Sajan like this.