1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Şengün Out For a Week

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by aaquaa, Jan 1, 2022.

1. aaquaa

aaquaa Member

The calculation is right, but let's say Alpi takes 5 3-pt.ers per game.
    The difference would be 14.2/20 = -.71 points per game.
    A tanking team can live with this.

2. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

Been a little down lately. Thought it was seasonal affective disorder or post-holiday blues, but now realize it’s because I haven’t seen Sengun on the court since last year.

[​IMG]

3. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

And that's the concept you do not understand. When he gets the ball for an open 3, he needs to get inside to create that 59.6% (5 ft or closer) shot. To do that he needs to blow by the defender. To do that with a good rate of success, the defender must be close. To do that he should have 3 pt threat. If the defender does not come close, his options are limited. The cutting lanes are clogged, getting to the basket becomes a low percentage play, making assists are not easy. You may have to settle for a midrange or pass the ball away without even having a proper play. That's why you want to develop your 3pt shot. That higher 3pt shot will allow you to get to your high % inside play, or will produce more points than the shot than you can create if you can't get to your best % shot.

If all the players could replace their low percentage shots magically by their high percentage shots, they would never need to develop anything other than the high % shot.

@aaquaa 59.6% is for 5ft and below. Even if you take his overall 2pt fg %, which is 50%, the 35% 3pt is the better choice. As I explained above, if you are passing on open 3s regularly, you can't even produce your average 50% play because you are at a disadvantage to start with.

So his reasoning is wrong even if you just take the plain 2pt fg % but the actual situation is much worse.

aaquaa likes this.
  4. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

https://itsgame7.com/suns-star-devin-booker-on-how-nba-players-poop-their-pants/

I'm talking when a player logs in 5 minutes or 7 minutes.

Maybe a man from Turkey eating chili cheese fries or
    chili cheese hotdog for the first time.

Not easy transitioning from another land/culture to a new one.
    Those who go to Mexico can relate....often find that out the hard way.

After all these are people we are talking about. Not robots.

Jontro likes this.
  5. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

You’re overstating this. I can agree it’s true in iso situations, but since he’s such a good picker and pass threat, he can get the drive you’re discussing in non-iso situations. If Sengun has the ball at top of arc, Mathews, Green, Gordon, Brooks, etc just come around him for a DHO, or even pre-dribble pick and handoff. We see this a lot. At the point of handoff, senguns man must come up, or give up an open three (as well as drive threat from Green, Gordon). This is when we see him fake the hand-off and do his spin-drives. It’s not just iso.

also, in 5-out, with good spacing, whether his man drops or not, Sengun can take up the space just fine, for low post. Sure, it’s better to blow by someone, but Sengun has the low post moves to dribble into his sweet-spot, should defense drop with no help defenders, due to 5-out spacing.

make sense

6. aaquaa

aaquaa Member

You're greatly mistaken, underestimating the Turkish cuisine like this.
    Some Turkish food will bore holes through people.

hakeem94 and ApacheWarrior like this.
  7. bmelo

bmelo Member

people forget that for 60 out of 70 years basketball was played without majority of people jacking threes. There is way more attacking schemes than we are shown in current nba

AroundTheWorld, aaquaa and hakeem94 like this.
  8. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

The emphasis was there because it was an answer to the argument

'he can take his 60% 5ft and closer shots, instead of a 35% 3pt shot because it is mathematically better.'

I agree with your analysis. The things that you listed and improving your 3pt shot will all get you to make a higher percentage play than if you did not have them. But you can't say

'hey, if he takes 3pts, we are losing pts on average, even if he develops a 35% 3pt shot because instead he can make 60% shots from 5ft and less'

That's the only thing I was pointing out. That reasoning is wrong.

A more detalled analysis of his stats in those situations would reveal more info. But that is something I do not have access to. It would be nice to see.

Easy likes this.
  9. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

[​IMG]

10. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Hersey squirts could happen to anyone going from one environment
    to a foreign one.

Whether it be from Vietnamese to Mexican to Turkish to American.
    In no particular order.

Eating Wassabi everyday doesn't prepare you for all foods. Lol

11. aaquaa

aaquaa Member

All said, I'm 100% for Alpi developing a somewhat decent 3-pt.er.
    (I suspect he already has it; just in a slump.)
    No reason not to take the extra bullet to the gunfight.

AroundTheWorld and cmoak1982 like this.
  12. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

the calculation was imho also incomplete because having a 3pt range means increasing % on close range shots because if he can hit 3s hed be guarded more closely so the blow bys will be easier and the fakes would be more effective....

AlperenSengun and aaquaa like this.
  13. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

g league cant teach you how to play but it could take away 'insecurities' and infirmities related to lack of PT, rookie jitters and the lack of repetitions....

JC didnt learn how to pass because its not in his DNA but he did got into a better flow, rhythm and kinda unstuck himself...hes playing with much better rhythm flow and is more confident

imho passing, teamplay and assists is in alpis DNA and a few months playing in the valley cant take that away

hed be going there exclusively to nail down the jumper and perhaps handles because he lacks playing time to do the work here

really? is this really so?

14. TimDuncanDonaut

I can see Silas thinking this, but is this vision fitting to personnel? The after trade guards you listed.

Green, Christopher, Brooks, Mathews (4)

On not needing Sengun's passing, how many of these guards can actually pass well. Maybe JC. Doesn't look promising.

ApacheWarrior and hakeem94 like this.
  15. juanming

juanming Member

Okay you guys are arguing nonstop over the same thing over and over again.. whether it's who doing the correct math formula who is better at math where is senguns best place on the floor who should be cutting and where his teammates should be on the floor

All of it can be solved with one simple action: fire silas

Ankara1923, clos4life and hakeem94 like this.
  16. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

[​IMG]

clos4life likes this.
  17. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

That's funny. As a former point guard there is no way I'm saying
    a center can distribute better than a guard.

Somehow I think the Rockets would survive without Senguns's
    2.6 assists per game. 5.1 assists per 36-minutes.

But I do have Sengun getting minutes next year.

If it's assists you want....I've proposed free agent Bronson.
    And we may see the Rockets drafting Ivey or yet another guard.
    Yes, for the assists.

18. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Jokic and Sabonis say you’re wrong

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  19. TimDuncanDonaut

Bron and Magic are one inch shorter than Sengun. I'm less saying Sengun is the answer, more saying, if this is Patrick/Stone's vision, then they may consider getting other guards. That or need to develop the existing guys more. For a while at the beginning of season (granted this was before garrison). Players didn't know where to be, the bad passing resulted in lot of TO's.

20. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What happened to the really hot translator he had?