1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Cam Reddish

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by htownfan_9210, Jan 8, 2022.

1. lionaire

lionaire Member

Solid catch and shooter, defense has been much more consistent this year. Would love to have him if he could stay healthy. Seems like the Hawks only want to pay one of Hunter or Reddish and the former is the obvious keeper. And he's likely getting handcuffed with Bogi or Gallo's salary if moved.

Also what is this foolish idea I see going around here that we can't/shouldn't take on anymore projects.

Milos likes this.
  2. varughese.arun

No thank you. We have enough potential. When we get Jabari Smith there wont be space for this guy

Ramo$e likes this.
  3. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Your mom?

[​IMG]

4. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2022/1/10/22876169/klay-thompson-golden-state-warriors

4. The Hawks Shouldn’t Trade Cam Reddish

Cam Reddish’s name has been caught up in the trade rumor mill this season. In just the past week, ESPN’s Brian Windhorst said there’s belief the Hawks aren’t committed to giving Reddish the type of contract he’s looking for; and at The Athletic, Sam Amick reported Reddish is one of the two “most likely candidates” to be dealt by Atlanta.

Veteran forward Danilo Gallinari is the other, according to Amick. Gallo is 33, and makes over $20 million but plays barely over 20 minutes a night. It makes sense to want to trade him. But Reddish? I fail to understand why the Hawks would trade him unless the return is overwhelming.

Reddish is 22. He’s a nuisance of a defender with the versatility to contain quicker and longer players—exactly the type of player you want to put around Trae Young. On offense, he provides spacing as a spot-up shooter for Young but has also shown three-level scoring flashes out of the pick-and-roll. At the end of December, he scored 33 points and 34 points in games in the span of five days. He helps now, and he offers upside later.

But I have also heard what Windhorst and Amick reported. It’s one of those topics executives are talking about a lot. Especially after Hawks general manager Travis Schlenk effectively said that he needs to consolidate the pieces on this team to fix what’s wrong. “Maybe it wasn’t such a great idea to bring everybody back. That’s on me,” Schlenk said on 92.9 The Game. “It’s my responsibility to put a product on the floor that can win. Right now I’m questioning whether or not I have done that.”

Clearly not. The Hawks have the league’s fourth-worst defensive rating. An offense powered by Trae’s heroics has carried them to a 17-22 record. Atlanta needs two things: one more primary ball handler who can run the offense, and more help on defense. What Atlanta has is a bunch of dudes who can handle the ball but not run the point. Reddish definitely isn’t a floor general. Delon Wright, Bogdan Bogdanovic, and Kevin Huerter aren’t either. Lou Williams, even with all of his age and wisdom, is still a score-first bucket-getter, not someone looking to get others involved.

The Hawks would be better off trading Huerter or Bogdanovic. Reddish brings something different with his defense and scoring upside, whereas Huerter and Bogdanovic have redundant skills as shooters who occasionally handle the ball. Bogdanovic is 29 and has two seasons remaining. Huerter is 23 and his four-year rookie extension hasn’t even kicked in, which means any team dealing for him would be subjected to a punitive trade kicker known as a “poison pill.”

Moving Reddish only makes sense if the return includes a player who can help the defense and fulfill this major need on offense. Like, say, Ben Simmons? Last week, Marc Stein wrote in his newsletter: “It was suggested to me this week by one league source to keep an eye on Atlanta as an emerging suitor for Philadelphia’s Simmons.”

Anything short of a player of Simmons’s caliber should not be considered for Reddish, no matter what money he might demand more than a year from now. Many other teams want him because he could be worth it.

sirjesse likes this.
  5. Nook

Nook Member

He may become a pretty good starting role player if he keeps developing, but I find him overall overrated. He is a good but not great defender and mediocre on offense. Does a team really want to trade for him and then have to pay him a lot of money as a free agent?

#25 Nook, Jan 10, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2022
  6. raining threes

Depends on how much money you have to pay him and how much you think he can improve. 6'9 wings that can play defense and aren't a major liabilty on offense are hard to find. The rockets haven't had a guy like this in awhile.

Is Reddish worth it? I dont know, You would probably know better than me.

Nook likes this.
  7. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Friend who is a Hawks fan says he's very wishy-washy, even on defense. Every now and then he'll have a big game but his effort is not always consistent. He doesn't want the Hawks to pay him what he's going to demand which is supposedly a big contract. Advanced numbers aren't very flattering..barely a replacement level player.

Ramo$e, raining threes and Nook like this.
  8. verysimplejason

Shooting ability isn't an easy thing to learn. Most of the time, either you have it or not. Noted that there were some exceptions but they're too few.

9. Milos

Milos Member

His play is not why Hawks are shopping him
    They do not want to pay him past his rookie contract to backup Hunter, whom they prefer to start at SF

Agree he is far from a finished product, but he still has untapped potential IMO, and he brings 6'7" length and 38% from 3, something none of our young wings currently provide

I'd do EGo for Cam + Gallo without hesitation

10. Milos

Milos Member

How about this 3way?

HOU
    Gallo + Cam

ATL
    Simmons + Augustin

PHI
    Gordon + Huerter + Jalen Johnson

Probably zero chance Morey accepts this deal, but seems like Hawks & Rox would be all over it

Still ...
    Gordon & Huerter will help Embiid a lot more this season than fining Simmons

11. Milos

Milos Member

He still has 2 more years on his rookie deal after this, including the option

We could talk with his agent before pulling the trigger to let him know the situation:

"Cam, we think you could become the ideal 3&D SF to slot in between Green and whichever PF we draft in June ...
    But we want to see the fit next season.
    If it all clicks, we will take care of you."

His situation still improves here because Tate is not Hunter, meaning entrenched as starting SF
    If it doesn't work out, we can shop him this summer or next before he expires

Meanwhile, Gallo brings an entirely different skillet to the frontcourt that we desperately need
    He has rare ability as a 7footer who can create his own offense from all 3 levels
    A very rich man's Olynyck to create lots of spacing for our penetrators to attack inside

raining threes likes this.
  12. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Right his value isn’t worth the contract they would have to pay. I agree. As I’ve said his performance isn’t great. And doesn’t merit his market value and the contract teams are likely willing to pay for.

13. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Danuel House in 2019-20

10.5 pts, 4.2 rebs, 1.3 asts, 42.7 FG%, 36.3 3PT%, 81 FT% in 30.4 MPG

Cam Reddish in 2021-22

11.9 pts, 2.5 rebs, 1.1 asts, 40.2 FG%, 37.9 3PT%, 81 FT% in 23.4 MPG

steddinotayto and No Worries like this.
  14. sirjesse

sirjesse The Udoker has spoken!
    Supporting Member

His athleticism stands out on the court. For the right price he is worth a try.

Milos likes this.
  15. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Switch a FRP for Cam and I'm in.

16. vator

vator Contributing Member

17. lionaire

lionaire Member

Welp..the stage is set for a Duke big 3 reunion in NY once Zion is free.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  18. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Includes Kevin Knox too

19. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

20. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

That's one lopsided trade.