1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Embiid and the Sixers taking on Brunson and the Knicks -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

KPjr has more to do with us winning games RIGHT NOW than anyone on the roster

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Jan 6, 2022.

1. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

Love the description. But it is a little harsh. It is not easy to reach Wood level. You have to show a complete lack of interest in anything other than yourself.

And since Wood is a borderline allstar, KPJ is an allstar then ;):D:p

Corrosion likes this.
  2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Fair enough, if we signed Brunson, I am good with that, his footwork is amazing.

DD

TimDuncanDonaut and daywalker02 like this.
  3. TimDuncanDonaut

The point guard befuddles me as well. The likely scenario is that, end of last year, Rockets was high on KPJ, they want him to have starter minutes, and point guard was a position that became available.

1) He's been a SF in Cavaliers, the results for that has been meh. Even though basketball became more position-less, a 6'4" SF wing is short by today's standards. A few nights are OK, but KPJ most likely won't be good at matching against taller, stronger SF every night.

2) Stone drafted Green at SG, which in Green's short stint with the Rockets is panning out. That SG spot is Green's.

3) PG is a spot that became open, after Westbrook/Harden left the team. So Rockets slot KPJ to PG.
    It's not because KPJ showed innate ability with court vision or passing, they give them the spot. It's more that, he had some games where he scored well, they think well if he has gravity, maybe he can play point also.

If that's the org's main reason, it is honestly terrible logic.

Wood, Gordon, there are other guys who have 'gravity' and can draw defenders, that doesn't mean they should be full-time point-guard or point-center.
    4) There could be a part of Stone that wants to quietly hit a lottery in finding the next Harden. Harden was a SG that became in a PG, so the org thinks KPJ can become this. This kind of hoping is irrational and counter-productive. It's best to evaluate talent based on that player's own merit

Is it possible for someone to improve at a new skill? Yes, if a person practice 10,000 hours at something any reasonable person can improve. Improving doesn't mean the person becomes proficient. It just means by his own standard, he was better than yesterday.

Job hiring 101, you take the best candidate for that position, not because you saw potential of that person in a different role with different skillset.

I didn't mind KPJ starting this year and agree that Wall should sit. KPJ has a chance to prove himself this year.. The lockeroom stuff is whatever, but I'm concerned that the Rockets Org is hell bent on him being point-guard, that even if KPJ is not cut out for it, it takes Rockets Org too long to realize this.

If I'm Stone, I'd be seriously keeping tabs on Christopher's progress and keep searching elsewhere. If they worry this news might 'offend' KPJ's sensibilities, then they have bigger things to worry about.

#183 TimDuncanDonaut, Jan 8, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2022
  4. thedude077

thedude077 Member

The Rockets should trade him while he has value.

5. PatBev

PatBev Member

Lol he doesn’t need development because he is 25 so give Porter 4 more years

DaDakota likes this.
  6. Reeko

Reeko Member

KPJr has value? Maybe top 59 protected pick value.

7. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Let me correct this for you.

No wonder WE’RE such a bad team.

You are a Houston Rocket fan, right? Or do we need intervention?

Dobbizzle and burlesk like this.
  8. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

You can lead a horse (Christian Wood) to water but you can't make him drink (run PnR).

Honestly if Porter, with 4 years of development, isn't way better than Jalen Brunson then I'd be miffed with the situation. There's a reason the Rockets are putting up with him. There's a reason Lebron is commenting on his potential.

vlaurelio and Plowman like this.
  9. Tuckankhamun

Tuckankhamun Member

I’ve been off the KPJ wagon since it came out that Green goes to Lucas’ morning practices every day while KPJ gets to skip them.

Green is working to be great, KPJ thinks he’s already arrived.

jcmoon and cheke64 like this.
  10. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

We.dont know what he does instead but he looks in great shape tight handles.and good looking suot

11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

In one sentence, Stone messed up, he messed up with the Theis signing and he messed up the PG situation.

He was getting cute there believing the corpse of Augustin would be enough and one of the rookies, youngins would become a decent PG.

He underestimated the competition in the NBA, plain and simple. (The Draft was good enough though)

12. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

Also a Villanova product.

daywalker02 likes this.
  13. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

A lot of good points here, I'll offer some others to ponder...

- This is a year of development for KPJ, Jalen, Sengun, and JC (primarily).
    - There is not one natural pass first PG on our team. All of our guys are shooters/scorers (KPJ, JC and even Augustin).

On the first point, developing young guys in the NBA comes at a cost, efficiency and effectiveness go down as they learn from playing against different teams and players. Add to that KPJ and JC are learning to play the most difficult position. I don't think either has the innate vision that makes PG's great or even good. The question is can one of them develop their skills good enough to be our 1? I really liked this article discussing 12 attributes of elite point guards--https://winninghoops.com/article/attributes-elite-point-guards/

When you think of PGs, the modern NBA has some interesting examples, heck look at who we've had here in just a few years--Harden, Paul and Westbrook. Of the 3, Paul is what most of us probably think of as a natural PG, where Harden and Westbrook are more hybrids. Some discussion is whether KPJ can fashion himself into a Harden-like PG because he has some of the traits. As I look at those 12 attributes, I believe KPJ needs the most work on 2, 4-7 and 10-11. He can obviously improve on all of them, but I have been encouraged by his improvement in defense (#12). I get frustrated when he drives, jumps in the air and throws the ball away. This is where #4 and #7 are critical for him to improve in. Cutting down on TOs and delivering the ball to the open man at the right time/right area to shoot will be critical to him making that next step.

We can harp on many of these attributes, but the one that I think may be most critical to KPJ personally is #2 (Focus on others). If KPJ is going to be our future at PG, he has to CARE about his teammates and not focus on himself. Leaving the team the other night was a selfish/me oriented action. He has to understand and accept that personal sacrifice is key to being a leader and winning. When you're young this can be very difficult to grasp, but if you want to win you have to embrace it.

I look at this year as "An Experiment". Silas is Dr. Evil and he's trying different concoctions to see if he can find the right mixture for success. While I'm not a Silas fan, he's trying to build the airplane while flying it and that's never going to be pretty.

#193 Shark44, Jan 9, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2022
    Corrosion, Easy and Plowman like this.
  14. DaDakota

KPJ's passing has been great lately, but guys are not hitting their shots.

He still needs to stop jumping in the air and contorting away from contact....to draw more fouls but he is really becoming a good PG.

DD

PatBev and Plowman like this.
  15. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Yes on a better shooting team he would be averaging 8-9 assists a game. He needs to develop a floater in the lane so opponents won’t be able to lag and cut off the lob. Even though KPJ and Wood have decent chemistry, if KPJ had a Capella or Ayton that could set picks and finish at the hoop, people would quickly see that he has PG chops.

Corrosion, DaDakota and Plowman like this.
  16. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

???

I guess you and I have different definitions of “great”

17. DaDakota

Well not everyone knows basketball but if you keep watching you will eventually get it.

;)

DD

18. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

https://go.nba.com/n694

TEXNIFICENT likes this.
  19. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

I think it would be more appropriate if you say this to that mirror guy you see every day…

20. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member