1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

KPjr has more to do with us winning games RIGHT NOW than anyone on the roster

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Jan 6, 2022.

1. PatBev

PatBev Member

Real recognize real and Lebron unfamiliar

2. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

Nook….great write-up! This is spot on. Porter was very good last year and looked like he could potentially carry on Harden’s theone of being “the man”. He has clearly fallen off the cliff this year and is playing horrible on a consistent basis. The record in games he has played this year is like 2-24 for the team. He is barely shooting 60% free throws and has almost more turnovers than assists. He likely partied and did not put the time into developing the beautiful game he was displaying for most of last season.

3. mr_gootan

mr_gootan Member

THT from LAL is already everything we’re hoping KPJ will become. Being proactive in game management is more important to me than defensive reaction at the PG spot. That’s sixth-man talk when you focus only on defensive benefits.

4. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

https://rocketswire.usatoday.com/20...rter-jr-can-offer-jolt-to-struggling-defense/

Corrosion and Plowman like this.
  5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

6. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

If we're going to prop up any Rocket having "to do more with us winning games"--specifically ELEVEN out of 39 games--Tate or Garrison Mathews comes to mind before KPJ.

7. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

I’ll add Gordon in that list too. His numbers in wins vs. losses are eye popping. To me he’s always the X-factor, dating back to Harden era.

clutchdabear and steddinotayto like this.
  8. NewAge

NewAge Member

as far as TOs, you got it right, I think: trying the Home Run pass way to often, instead of the Single

burlesk likes this.
  9. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

In many ways KPJ reminds me of Francis. He is oozing with talent, but shoots when he should pass, pass when he should shoot, dribbles down the clock for no reason. If it's a 2 on 1 fast break, he will take it himself when he should pass or will throw a ridiculous high risk alley opp. Francis always played hard, but you could tell after 3 or 4 years, he would always be a low IQ player. My biggest problem with KPJ is his ball stopping. He refuses to get the hockey assist. He has to make the play, instead of helping the team make the play. People like KJ and Tate are not regarded as good passers, but they don't stop ball movement.

#89 withmustard, Jan 7, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2022
    Easy, txtodd and clutchdabear like this.
  10. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

Great post. It's about time people started living in reality and stopped trying to prop up KPJ over Green when it's very clear which is by far the more gifted offensive talent. There's a reason one of them was drafted second and one of them was one spot away from being a 2nd round pick.

11. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

12. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Not saying I agree 100% with the OP, but I will leave this here.

13. steddinotayto

Unfortunately 3 days after that article was published Porter decided "F*** defense, I'm cutting out early to go play NBA2K"

Nook likes this.
  14. Nook

Nook Member

Too much is made of the Rockets 7 game winning streak. They beat OKC twice, Orlando and the Pelicans... they should have won those games.

They beat a Charlotte team that had been 3-9 in their last 12 before playing the Rockets.... and it took overtime for the Rockets to win.

They beat a good Bulls team that had played poorly, getting blown out by the Pacers the game before.....

The win over the Nets was impressive, but the Nets also didn't seem to take the Rockets very serious.

It was a nice streak, but it really wasn't all that when you actually break it down.

15. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Wins are never a negative when dealing with young players. Just a simple example in trying to isolate Scooters worth. Feels like a 'damned if you do, damned if you dont' situation. Stats seem to show that the TEAM plays better defense with Scooter on the court and that alone should be glimmer of hope. He is getting better little by little and there needs to be some big picture thinking multiple years down the line when looking at his game now vs what it can be. No need for impatience with one of the worst teams in the league. If his game hasnt matured in a few years then you can go find a veteran PG to steer the ship when this team is ready to contend.

Corrosion and vlaurelio like this.
  16. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

He shot well last yr, remember his 50pt game? His defense improved this yr.

Since this is 1st yr as the full-time PG, have you ever thought he's trying to find his niche of how he's going to get his points but at the same time of getting everyone else involved too?

He needs time to adjust, it's a new position for him

Monkeychef02 and Plowman like this.
  17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Yes, I think that is 100% the issue with his shooting, that he is trying to do too much other stuff, or learning, once he gets comfortable, it will come back.

I think he is 42%FG and 44%3pt in the last 10.....

DD

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

We would see more in game heroics such as Porter's last second shot.

Less talk about the streak.

19. Reeko

Reeko Member

lmao, KPJr isn’t 42% from the field and 44% from 3 in his last 10 games

people just make sh*t up, no wonder they think he’s actually good…

KPJr in his last 10 games is 34% from the floor, and 37% from 3…oh, and 55% from the line

trying to do too much other stuff and learning to be a PG must be why he can barely shoot 60% on free throws

the excuses never end

harold bingo, jcmoon, vator and 2 others like this.
  20. steddinotayto

Fun facts:

There are only four players on the roster who saw playing time in all 11 wins: Wood, Gordon, Tate, KJ

Porter played in 7 of the 11 victories. His stats in those 7 games:

FG%: 36%
    3PT%: 34%
    FT%: 56%
    PPG: 12.7
    APG: 6
    ToPG: 3.7
    RPG: 4
    SPG: 1.4