1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Game 3 between the Knicks and Pacers in Indiana. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Wizards Broadcast goes off the rails

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by joshuaao, Jan 5, 2022.

1. Ramo$e

Ramo$e Member

Why stated in that way though? "Just like his dad". lol KPj is not Steph. Everybody know KPj story in the NBA it's no secret and it's not because his dad used to play in the league. Don't be naive or at least as naive as this commentators wants you to be.

juanming likes this.
  2. Ramo$e

Ramo$e Member

You can't tell me they are not at least a little bit salty. We fouled out Beal (that is all they have really). We have their former Allstar point guard on our bench lol and whatever they got for Westbrook is not helping. I'm sure they feel some type of way losing to such a young team, especially one with a brighter future ahead.

3. Ramo$e

Ramo$e Member

Nah brah.....That's too much benefit of the doubt. It's their literal job to know every player. He's been in the league 3 plus years my guy. As a starter at least 2.

If he isn't fired for the comment. Then he should be fired for even letting this situation come about. Not knowing isn't good enough. How could you not? Is he not doing his job?

4. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

It actually seems like you want to believe the opposite. It's kind of like you're saying, "I want to believe he simply just made an assumption that ex-Wizards player Kevin Porter was Kevin Porter Jr's Dad, but it's more likely that the Wizards hometown radio broadcaster of 22 years took the time to read the family history of every player on the worst team in the NBA, saw Kevin Porter Junior's troubled past, and then concocted a hateful burn to sneakily insert at the perfect moment and hope no one noticed."

It's kind of like your skeptical of the more obvious explanation, and really going way out off the deep-end to convince yourself it was something sinister.

#224 DCkid, Jan 7, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2022
  5. DCkid

If you are truly asking, it definitely is not in the Washington Wizards local radio broadcaster's job description to be familiar with the family history of a 30th pick on the Houston Rockets, who has thus far had an inconsequential NBA career.

#225 DCkid, Jan 7, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2022
  6. Ramo$e

Ramo$e Member

He's been a starter in the league for two years. If it's not then Bill Worrell must be the greatest commentator of all time.

groovemachine likes this.
  7. Ramo$e

Ramo$e Member

No, I said what I said and said what I meant. I don't need you telling what I mean. For about a day I never thought nothing of it but there's literally no excuse. It's not an obvious explanation. It is convenient though isn't it? Almost like a dog whistle. Double meaning. You know racist mind games, then they try to convince you other wise.

Beside that though. Lets say it was an honest mistake.(clearly it was not) It's unprofessional, un sportsman like and quite frankly it doesn't matter if he knew or not. I bet he'll do his homework next time. Dude even cries into the mic. "that stung". What more evidence do you need?

8. Ramo$e

Ramo$e Member

KPj got opposing team's commentators in they feelings.

groovemachine likes this.
  9. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Until this story, I thought Kevin Porter, Jr. was the son of former NBA player Kevin Porter. I also think Glen Rice III, Mike Dunleavy, Jr., Tim Hardaway, Jr., John Lucas III, and Larry Nance, Jr. were all the sons of the former NBA players of the same name. Was I wrong about any of the others?

10. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

@Os Trigonum

Would it have been any better if he said kill shot?

Os Trigonum likes this.
  11. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

You do realise that there's no logic in what you're saying right? Just because there are other players in the league who are descended from former NBA players, doesn't mean every player with Jr on the end of their name has to be. This is one of the stupidest comments I've read in a while, imagine actually typing this out and thinking you were making a point...

12. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

There’s no way this guy knew anything about Kevin Porter Jr’s dad, nor should he have. He probably should have known former NBA player Kevin Porter wasn’t his father but that’s a mild slip up.

There’s some comedic gold in this thread though.

13. juanming

juanming Member

Wait, you didn't know Bill Worrell was the greatest of all time?

14. amaru

amaru Member

Had KPJ played for the Wizards he would have likely known. But given his employer and KPJs status in the league it’s not surprising he didn’t know KPJ. Besides why would a commentator risk his career over a fringe nba player? ( fringe b/c attitude not talent)

15. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

Clearly an unfortunate mistake.

People out here saying: No way a professional broadcaster hasn't done their research...

1. Ummmmm, sure buddy, go ahead and keep believing that.
    2. So it's more likely that this color commentator did his research AND made a malicious comment referencing KPJ's dad, then you know, it was simply a mistake?
    3. Assuming this commentator is an ******* and did this maliciously, how in the world did Kevin Porter Jr.'s dad "pull the trigger at the right time." He plead guilt to manslaughter.

BonziWellsGOAT and jboslett like this.
  16. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

I sure hope that you have keyboard warriors sitting around critiquing and micromanaging every single menial aspect of your career.

17. cbk41

cbk41 Member

This situation is like when I make a "your mom's house" joke to one of my Sailors who never opened up to me about their family and I found out she died... and then trying to grasp at straws to ascribe malicious intent and get my reprimanded instead of "aw he probably didn't know".

This is indicative of the true erosion of social intelligence. LIke why is spending time building this flimsy conspiracy worth any kind of meaningful value?

BonziWellsGOAT and NewAge like this.
  18. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

The difference is, you’re not paid to tell mama jokes on television where you are representing an organization.

What I can agree on is, I don’t think he meant this the way it’s being described. BUT that’s part of being in the position he’s in, you can’t make this type of mistake because you’re lazy.

Again, I’m not calling for his head but he has to know something simple like this. Was Kevin Porter even a shooter? Lol

19. DCkid

Okay. It definitely is not in the Washington Wizards local radio broadcaster's job description to be familiar with the family history of a 2-year starter for the Houston Rockets, who has thus far had an inconsequential NBA career.

20. DCkid

Seek help, dude.

BonziWellsGOAT likes this.