1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Wizards Broadcast goes off the rails

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by joshuaao, Jan 5, 2022.

1. palmsnbananas

palmsnbananas Member

You don’t get fired for not knowing who a player is as an announcer lol

2. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

True, but in that case he needs to go after every announcer in the NBA. Only reason he is going after this guy is because of what he said. I didn't hear him going after Clyde Drexler after the baby seals comment. Or how about going after Bill Worrell for the Tractor Taylor comment.

3. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Alternative take. The mind glitches sometimes. I have a hard time believing this guy was making the connection in real-time during the game that Kevin Porter Jr. has a name just like Kevin Porter, so recklessly decided to go with his assumption during the live broadcast in the hope that his assumption was correct. More likely, he believed that was the case...possibly for some time. He may have initially wondered about it when he called a Cavs game 2 years ago, but there are a lot of "Juniors" in the league who do have an NBA Dad, so at some point over the next 2 years he may have got his wires crossed and it got stuck in his mind that KPJ was one of those guys. And just a side note that may have no relations to the KPJ confusion, but during the same game he made a couple of references to KJ and Kenyon with similar "just like his Dad" references.

Either way it doesn't really excuse the guys incompetence at doing his job or that he could be losing some of his mental faculties as he ages, but I think it rings more true that he just literally thought that was the truth as opposed to being lazy or not "doing his due diligence" (the fashionable phrase of the day it appears). Anyway, just my 2 cents.

#183 DCkid, Jan 6, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2022
    txtodd likes this.
  4. BonziWellsGOAT

Lmao now pull the trigger should never be used??? Why tf not?

harold bingo likes this.
  5. Gakatron

Gakatron Contributing Member

Yeah he is absolutely guilty of being **** at his job but that is it.

BonziWellsGOAT likes this.
  6. DCkid

Also needs to tweet about any NBA player who doesn't fully read and correctly implement the scouting report. I mean, I know 100% of them are studiously reading it front to back at bedtime every night before a game, but mistakes do happen.

ElPigto likes this.
  7. Gakatron

Gakatron Contributing Member

Oh dear. China in general obviously. You OK with them I guess because they don't vote in your country so you don't have to hate them? The wokeness is only in your bubble? **** the rest of the world right? I mean nothing compares to an announcer of a local broadcast making a mistake. Imagine those disappearing or in camps because of their beliefs thinking they have issues when poor old LeBron is fighting the real injustices.

8. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

9. Juxtaposed Jolt

Yeah, researching the players entails stats and misc. things like if they just returned from Covid protocols or whatever. It's not an announcers job to research the family tree of any player or what they had for breakfast that morning or which club they were at last night or whatever.

This is why, to me, it's clearly unintentional and just the poorest choice of words.

10. hakeemthagreat

Because ppl are running around committing mass shootings in highschools, church's & other places. Aren't you american?

groovemachine likes this.
  11. DCkid

slothy420, RKREBORN and pippendagimp like this.
  12. HI Mana

HI Mana Member

Horrendous gaffe, but I am inclined to forgive him, assuming he did reach out to KPJ afterwards and really tried to apologize directly. The public statement seems genuine to me, with no equivocation at all.

When I heard that Evan Mobley was the son of a former professional basketball player, I had assumed that he was Cuttino's son. Then when I found out his dad was Eric Mobley, and saw the news that Eric had passed away just a little while after Evan was drafted, I thought it was pretty tragic.

Of course, that also isn't true, Coach Mobley is still alive and well at USC. But if I can get so mixed up as a fan with the benefit of google, then I can't really fault an announcer making a live call right after a backbreaking buzzer-beater, shot by a player who was 2-12 before that point, so that your team who is fighting to stay out of the play-in games, lost to the third worst team in the league who was entering on an 8 game losing streak. If the Rockets were in the Wizards' position during the James Harden era, and had lost to the Kings, I know that I would definitely not have been in any position to think rationally.

Kevin Porter lead the league in assists 4 times in the late 70s, when Glenn Consor was playing college ball. I don't really think it is too big a leap of faith to think that the name just stuck in his head. I can tell you that if there's any Stricklands, Millers, or Van Exels that come into the league in the near future, I'm probably going to assume they're related to star point guards of the late '90s. Having KJ Martin on the same team doesn't really help either.

I hope KPJ gets his apology, shrugs it off and moves on. He should be the first person to admit that people make unintentional mistakes in the heat of the moment, and these things aren't being made with intended malice.

joshuaao and wlekfjv923n like this.
  13. hakeemthagreat

So if he hasn't researched a players family background, why would he make a reference to a player's father? He wouldn't know because "it's not a announcers job" to research anything, according to you. But it actually is a announcers job to do his homework. This wasn't a accident

14. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Deep dive research, perfect timing and delivery... this announcer is an all time great.

15. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

He made the reference because he wrongly assumed from his name that his father was Kevin Porter. I really don’t get why that is so hard to believe but you find it easy to believe he had the worst of intentions and chose to put his own job and reputation at risk.

Juxtaposed Jolt likes this.
  16. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

You know, I'm not a professional broadcaster but I heard it live and immediately thought it was a sex joke. Unaware of the situation until just now.

As far as apologies go, "I'm not hateful, I'm just bad at my job" is kinda underwhelming. Possibly inaccurate.

Not enjoying Lebron speaking about our team so often, I'll say that much.

17. wlekfjv923n

wlekfjv923n Member

We need more forgiveness and grace in our culture. There's gotta be room for honest mistakes, sincere apologies and graceful forgiveness. Can't just advance technologically, gotta advance character-wise as human beings

Plowman likes this.
  18. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

LMFAO LeBron traded for Russ in the year 2021

Don't tell me about due diligence.

19. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

I want to apologize to everyone (except LeBron who is still a moron) as I watched the shot several more times and now realize that the compliments about the great play that was called was from the other announcer and this guy literally piped in just do denegrate KPJ and state just the part about the trigger and that it really hurts. I thought it was the same announcer the whole clip. If he literally just chimed in at the end with only that comment it certainly could be a reference to KPJ’s dad. Keep in mind that most of us on the board did not know he was a murderer, so either this announcer is extremely diligent and a total a-hole or just making stuff up and got burnt. People have been fired for less in the business.

groovemachine likes this.
  20. Juxtaposed Jolt

Because he was ignorant and assumed a person named "Kevin Porter" and "Kevin Porter Jr." - both of whom are black males who play/played professional basketball - are related.

I've already said it before - you can expect an announcer to give you stats and team happenings / activities - that's what research they do - but I don't know why anyone expects the announcers to know each player's personal lives.