1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can former Rocket Eric Gordon and the Suns bounce back against the Timberwolves? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Jalen Green Went Back to Basics. Now He Looks Unstoppable

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by vator, Jan 6, 2022.

1. Nook

Nook Member

Yeah, Green has the look of at least a 25 point a game scorer in his prime without dominating the ball.

Defensively I don't think he will ever be even average, but he will be good enough because of effort and hard work.

I would love to get an athletic point guard that has some size and defends to put next to Green.... someone like Ivey would really compliment Green well. Both can run and Ivey is long enough and a good enough athlete to guard guys that give Green a hard time.

Milos likes this.
  2. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

He doesn't have to b a lock down defender, just decent enough like curry where u cam hide him around better defenders so he doesn't get exposed.
    He is motivated to b better so that's a plus

3. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

Yeah, crazy right? Numerous people were saying they're basically the same player (lol) and KP was the better of the two and the one we should keep. As far as I can see it, the only player on our squad with anywhere near the potential of Green is Sengun, and even his potential comes with the caveat of needing to transform his physique and gain athleticism to get anywhere near.

Tfor3 likes this.
  4. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

Thing is though, Kobe was 6'4 and 3/4 without shoes on, Green is 6'4 without shoes on. People banging on about the height are being disingenuous, he's basically Kobe height.

Tfor3 and 34to11 like this.
  5. conquistador#11

5.7 FTA . That's More FTAs than Beal, Lavine or Mitchell.

As long as they don't go back to the kill the offense lineup, 5.7-6 FTAs should be the norm for this season.

Richie_Rich, BigMaloe, D-rock and 5 others like this.
  6. cmlmel77

cmlmel77 Up all Night Watching Houston Sports

I’m pretty sure the Rockets agree with you, and that they believe they have someone meeting exactly that description.

D-rock, Jontro and conquistador#11 like this.
  7. HeyBudLetsParty

I like the fact that he can score 20 plus without isoing all game like Harden. Makes me optimistic he’ll be able to fit in with whoever we bring in or young guns we can develop him with.

8. csc177

csc177 Member

N
    Not for a 19 year old rookie it isnt. but I agree otherwise - 25ppg is very doable for proven nba scorers

9. csc177

csc177 Member

He doesnt shoot enough to avg 30. I wish he became more of a volume shooter (he defers to the bums on our team a lot and lets them ice him out of too many possessions). He'll get it soon enough - I anticipate he will be cruising come March and will probably be leading the ROY race, if he stays healthy of course.

Milos, vator, Dobbizzle and 1 other person like this.
  10. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

I really wanna see Green in some form of Klay Thompson role temporarily. There's no way anybody can keep up with him running off of 10 different screens every possession. Not saying his jumpshot is like Klay but I think it's his best asset right now. A slightly more ball-dominant Klay

If Tyler Herro can average 20ppg in his third season there's no reason why Green can't be averaging 25 by his third

D-rock likes this.
  11. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Why don’t you think Green can develop into a good defensive player? He has shown some improvement, he is long and athletic and is willing to put the work in. Porter was terrible and now is at worst solid on defense. I was not in favor of selecting Green 2nd, but his recent play is changing my mind. I think he is going to go on several 30 point tears before the year is out. Slow and steady progress on the defensive side would be just fine.

12. BonziWellsGOAT

It's all contingent on adding strength but I agree. He's not really long but has above average length (pause) and is hyper athletic. I see no reason why he can't become a plus defender eventually

D-rock likes this.
  13. vator

vator Contributing Member

His defense would certainly be helped out by having a defensive anchor protecting the rim. It was interesting to watch when we played Philly how much Embiid impacted the game as a backline of defense. Green was still getting to the basket at will, but I think Joel was in his head. Myles Turner controlled the paint against us too. I was watching Cavs/Grizzlies the other night and Jarrett Allen was deterring Ja Morant from penetrating all the way to the rim over and over and Ja had to rely on his floater.

Having a defensive presence at the 5 spot would go a long way towards shoring up our team's defense. Doesn't have to be a do-everything player either like Embiid or maybe what Mobley will possibly grow into either. A Clint Capela or Jarret Allen type of guy would be great. Defense, rebounding, and vertical spacing. You can typically find guys to develop with those skill sets outside of the lottery because they can't shoot.

D-rock, Dobbizzle and Deckard like this.
  14. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

I remember Mario Elie once talking about how Hakeem had told him to not worry if he gets beat because he had his back and Elie emphasized how much that meant to a wing defender knowing there was a rim protector behind him.

D-rock, Dobbizzle and vator like this.
  15. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Ya when you have a all time elite bigman defender like Dream in the paint, your job as a perimeter defender isn't to prevent the ball handler from going by you but rather making sure you funnel the player towards the elite defensive big.

Dobbizzle likes this.
  16. vator

Exactly! It makes a huge difference. Just watch games of teams that have good centers that are either rim protectors or guys that are good defenders and extremely switchable. Having a good defender at the 5 goes a long way. It is the backbone of a solid defensive team.

NewAge likes this.
  17. alethios

alethios Member

Thanks @foggy94 and OP for helping push the narrative on Green to a more positive light and buffering out some of the negative rhetoric.

#57 alethios, Jan 6, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2022
  18. vator

@foggy94 deserves ALL the credit here. This is his baby. I was surprised he hadn’t logged in and shared this himself. He did all the hard work writing up this piece and cutting up the clips to share. I just ended up being a messenger of sort that simply didn’t want this to go unnoticed. He often has really good content.

#58 vator, Jan 6, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2022
    burlesk, BigMaloe, D-rock and 3 others like this.
  19. alethios

alethios Member

Gotta give credit where credit is due! Nice work, @foggy94

20. foggy94

foggy94 Member

Thanks so much man. I'll be honest, even though it's always a positive reception, I get nervous about sharing my stuff sometimes cause I worry people will think it's spammy or something. Sounds silly as I think about it.