1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Wizards Broadcast goes off the rails

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by joshuaao, Jan 5, 2022.

1. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

[​IMG]

2. Bryant2108

Bryant2108 Member

Seems to me like an honest, albeit unprofessional, mistake. We love our Rockets, but sorry, they aren't the most interesting team to other announcers in the league, like Lakers, Bucks, Warriors, etc. Probably didn't go through all his prep and scouting. Most people focus on Green, not KPJ. I'm sure he didn't do much research, and it was a lazy call. Kenyon Martin, Kenyon Martin Jr... Kevin Porter, Kevin Porter Jr... it's not farfetched, though super lazy and the timeline doesn't make much sense. In the moment, he likely went with something that he hadn't thought through and just said it. Bad announcing, sure. Sinister, I don't think.

Why risk your career over this - you'd have to be a pretty cold hearted b*stard to reference his father's manslaughter and murder. Like that's the type of thing you'd see on twitter by some troll, but not an NBA announcer.

He came out and apologized, everyone needs to move on and focus on the big time shot KPJ hit. Sad that this is overshadowing everything, but the way of the world these days..

joshuaao, amaru and fchowd0311 like this.
  3. juanming

juanming Member

The wizards announcer is racist and was so upset his team lost the game that he decided to make fun of kpjs dead father. I dug further into his background, he blacksheeped his white daughter for marrying a black man. He is evil and deserves 10 nights in a federal prison alone to defend for himself.

/Thread

4. Juxtaposed Jolt

Honestly, should give this dude the benefit of the doubt.

Kevin Porter was a basketball player for the Bullets. Kevin Porter Jr. is a basketball player for the team the Wizards just played. It's super unfortunate that KP has "Jr." attached to the name - it's an honest mistake. Not trying to speak for every single Rockets fan, but I doubt even most Rockets fans know of Porter Jr's parents or situation, since he's such a new player and doesn't exactly have 'marquee talent' yet.

Like, did we try to google search Harden's AZ State days or his parents or personal life or whatever, when he first arrived in Houston? No, all we knew about was how good he was on OKC. And if you want to find out about a player's personal life or parentage, that's on you. I personally think it's weird.

So if you can't expect most fans of the team to know about KPJr's dad and his past, there's no way in hell an announcer for an opposing team would know about it, much less bring it up and use it negatively.

clos4life and joshuaao like this.
  5. Juxtaposed Jolt

I do find it weird that the announcer made the comment when he did, when KPJr was shooting a 3.

The last 3 years of Porter's career were spent in Washington. In his first year, he shot 0.000%. In his second, 0.25%. In his last year, he played 11 games for them and then retired, I guess.

It's not like Porter was known for shooting 3s...so it's strange that the announcer made the comment of how Porter Jr. was trigger happy like his supposed NBA father, when the 'NBA father' either didn't shoot many 3s, was inefficient at them, or both.

6. BonziWellsGOAT

Yeah all anyone had to do is think for 5 seconds. Like what's more likely? He didn't do his homework or he made an unbelievably callous joke about KPJs dad? People want to be outraged so badly. That Braddeaux clown on Twitter should be ashamed for whipping everyone into a frenzy. He won't take down the tweet ofc because LeBron retweeted it but what's a man's livelihood compared to clout right?

slothy420 likes this.
  7. BonziWellsGOAT

Yes he would. Bill has done it before

Kevooooo likes this.
  8. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

WTF????
    Nah . . . I don't believe it is ANY misunderstand
    They knew EXACTLY what they were saying

F***ing Scum Bags

Rocket River

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Honest mistake, people don't know Scoot's history....

DD

10. BonziWellsGOAT

What a reasonable, measured response lol

11. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

Anybody who believes he said it intentionally is a complete idiot/moron. That of course includes, without saying, Lebron James. 1000% was talking about their Kevin Porter. Listen to his words people….pulled the trigger at the RIGHT time. Killing a 14 year old teen girl means he would have said pulling the trigger at the WRONG time!!!!!!!!!!! End of this stupid story period.

majicdonjuan likes this.
  12. majicdonjuan

majicdonjuan Member

I can't believe this story has gotten the legs it has, it was clearly unintentional.

It's like some folks get a huge hit of dopamine from being outraged. I would say unbelievable, but its ridiculously typical these days.

slothy420, joshuaao, Imanimal and 3 others like this.
  13. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Lol sure, i bet he even knows what "why are there no videos of tmac passing" and "Sura faints" means too.

BonziWellsGOAT likes this.
  14. J.R.

J.R. Member

15. SamFisher

Lol, like whoever is complaining about the age difference between KPJ and Wizards Kevin Porter, expecting somebody whose main reference point is Earl Monroe (last played for Baltimore Bullets 50 years ago) to have command of this detail in the heat of the moment is even less likely than him having intimate knowledge of KPJs father's homicide involvement and landing a perfect burn because of it

joshuaao likes this.
  16. SamFisher

Im sorry but why is LeBron spending his Wednesday watching Wizards Rockets lol. Only degenerate Rockets fans and NBA beat writers would do this voluntarily

Nook, joshuaao, harold bingo and 2 others like this.
  17. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Yikes. What you doing Lebron?

Just so utterly pointless and stupid.

18. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

I know that announcer had a valid reason but still...

"..pulled the trigger right at the right time just like his dad" and then you find out Kevin Porter's dad was charged for accidentally pulling the trigger while handing a gun over to a young girl..

I don't think guy should be fired or anything but that wording and the way he said it...I'm also not 100% sold that he didn't know..

Rocket River and joshuaao like this.
  19. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The announcer did F up - he should have known that KPJ was not related to KP. That's his job to know that. But it's not a horrific mistake and it's clear to any sane person that is what he was saying.

There is no way he was referring to his father pulling the trigger of an actual gun against a 14 year old girl. No way. I mean, who knew that until this came out? I certainly didn't. Why would a freaking broadcaster know this and reference it?

Regardless of what anyone thinks, the man deserves the benefit of the doubt in this situation - as does everyone when there is a very plausible alternative explanation. I'm sick of the react culture from every corner of this country - left or right - where we take any coincidence and use it to paint someone as the devil incarnate.

20. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Well it's literally their job to research their players, their own and opposing. They get prepped by the production with notes. And KPJ story has actually been highly publicized. This isn't the first time he has announced a game with KPJ. I'll give him a pass but I'm not 100% sold. And I'm usually very anti-cancel culture too.

Rocket River and NewAge like this.