1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Jalen Green Experience is Coming

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mathloom, Nov 9, 2021.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I'm not concerned about it either really.....because he's not a PG, he's a SG that is an off ball scorer.

It only becomes an issue if they try to force him into a different position he's not suited for.

2. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Contributing Member

Lol this is such a terrible take... I promised myself I wouldn't respond to these posts but I have to on this one. Firstly, Brooks doesn't attack enough or rather isn't enough of a threat off the dribble to pull the defense and create for others. So you really cannot compare the two. And like others said, you're either not watching the games or are just negligent (I'm going to go with the latter) to actually acknowledge some of JG's playmaking skills. His passes are not translating to successful assists because our other players aren't making shots and yes there are turnovers but the READS are there and he's making the correct ones. This offense is such a mess, I'm surprised he doesn't actually turn the ball over more.

3. ClearLakeTX

ClearLakeTX Member

When he starts to finish around the rim with a higher percentage he is going to be crazy good

His first step and getting to the rim is showing flashes of a Kobe.

4. roslolian

roslolian Member

That dude said Green is worse than Corey Brewer so dont really pay any attention to him. He a hater since the Rox didnt take his boy Mobley.

5. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

He's really turning it up. I can handle 20+ with efficiency for sure. Once he starts figuring out some dribble/footwork moves to go with that athleticism defenders won't really have a choice. He shoots too well to let him free and pressuring him with the ball will be a mistake too. Then he gets respect from refs and scores 30 a game. Then they double and he learns to dish out 6-7 assists a game too.

He's 19.

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Yeah he was REALLY good tonight on his drives - the team needs someone that is the go-to scorer - and he is looking the most likely candidate.

DD

jcmoon, BonziWellsGOAT, vator and 3 others like this.
  7. Tato1971

Tato1971 Member

The way Green's haters change their arguments is hilarious! First, Green was the worst player in the league, then the worst player on the team, now he's the worst passer on the team.
    The boy's good performances are blowing their brains out!
    Once again, criticizing is not wrong, we are in a forum, what is wrong is being an idiot who only finds comfort in hating a boy who is taking his first steps in the league.

Amel, cmoak1982, vator and 6 others like this.
  8. roslolian

roslolian Member

One thing you can see with Jalen Green is the environment really does a lot for early rookie success.

Sure you got generational talents like Hakeem, Jordan, Lebron and Tim Duncan who can come to a garbage team and instantly be one of the best players in the league, but most rookies arent like that esp the younger and rawer ones they need the right type of team to succeed.

In Green's case you can see his performance at least offensively it is dependent on how much spacing he has. The Rox had 2 centers clogging the lane for most of the season so obv his nos were bad. However in games where he has the space to operate then you see him go off. Rox have been doing him a disservice he got labeled a bust prematurelt cuz of how bad the team composition was. This game is like 4 of last 5 games Green had over 20 pts on good efficiency, its not surprising cuz we had EG at PF instead of a paint clogging big.

It's the opposite with Mobley, he got put into the best possible team with playmakers and another defensive center. When Allen was out and Mobley has to play center he looked like a major scrub. If Mobley landed on the Rox and he has to depend on KPJ or DJ Agustin to get him buckets I doubt he would succeed, Mobley would still play great defense but will put up 4 pts on 40% FG or something and people will say he a bust.

TriumVirate likes this.
  9. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I think one thing that you should take into consideration when you look at things like AST/TOV ratio is that not all turnovers are created equal. Saying he's more likely to turn the ball over than he is to create for others isn't necessarily true. If Jalen is isolating, and drives to the basket, and gets called for an offensive foul, that's a turnover. If he's driving and he gets stripped in the lane, that's a turnover. That shouldn't be placed into the same category as, say, an errant pass when trying to create in the pick and roll.

I used this same argument years ago back when Harden was averaging 25 shots per game and 5 turnovers per game, but also lead the league in offensive fouls. Would you consider him a "better" playmaker if he took 10 shots per game instead of 25? Because I can assure you his turnovers would go way down if he did that, because he got so many of his turnovers while trying to score. But that wouldn't mean he was any better or worse at playmaking, it's a different category.

I don't think this could even be tracked anywhere, and there's some ambiguity in trying to definitively categorize something as a "scoring turnover" vs a "creating for others turnover", but I think the concept is solid. The point of all this is to say that if Jalen Green was allowed more plays as the primary creator, his AST/TOV ratio would turn positive. That's not to say I think Jalen is a point guard, I just don't think AST/TOV is a particularly useful way to look at it.

Convictedstupid and Easy like this.
  10. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Lol thanks for reminding me how much of a joke Bobby is. Do not take this guy seriously

BonziWellsGOAT and roslolian like this.
  11. Da Man

Da Man Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I love the rebounds and how Jalen Green pushed the pace today. He is so damn fast with and without the ball. You can see how he gives the offense a dynamic dimension when he takes off with the ball. It is so much better than watching KPJ jog it up court with the ball.

He struggled defensively in the 4th. But his defense was a lot better in the 1st half. His rotation were much crisper. You can tell he is playing the with more force on both ends.

BonziWellsGOAT and harold bingo like this.
  12. apollo33

apollo33 Member

You guys are still arguing with Bobby? You guys never seen him in D&D and the Astros subforums? Every thread will get ruined.

Amel, vator and mario_v like this.
  13. roslolian

roslolian Member

Lol I think he just wants some attention so he says the craziest crap he can think of.

My issue now though is the Rox have so many good sg prospects but dont have a natural pg. We got KPJ, Green, Brooks, Jaygup and even Trevelin Queen all fighting for the same spot.

Jaygup honestly looks just as good as Green at times and has arguably been more consistent. Just like Kmart Jr though he isnt getting as much pt cuz theres so many guys like him on the team.

14. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Green is getting better by the game. His defense could improve but we knew that. When adds strength and gets his man body, he going to be a beast. Green just needs to keep working. I really love him attacking the basket!

jcmoon, Nook, Dobbizzle and 1 other person like this.
  15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Even with all of those turnovers, Harden had A LOT more assists. He was creating significantly more offense than he was costing the team with turnovers.

Green is a guy who is at his best in transition and scoring off ball, if you force him to be a primary ball handler, he'll hurt the offense more than he helps it.....and given that he's one of the worst defenders on the team, why would you take away from the only thing he currently does well?

Green simply lacks the ball handling and passing ability to be a plus at the PG spot....but he's becoming more and more solid on offense as a SG. Why screw up a good thing?

16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

They keep him here for a reason.

vator likes this.
  17. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

Bobby genuinely sat there crying whilst jerking off to Mobley picks like the sad little neckbeard he is.

18. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Green is actually better than what I thought he’d be as a rookie. Very excited for the future.

cmoak1982 and JayGoogle like this.
  19. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Are you speaking of 19 year old Harden?

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Literally any version of James Harden has more assists than turnovers overall. It's not that much of an accomplishment really, you have to be kind of terrible to have more turnovers than assists.