1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Time Frame: Coach Growth

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rocket River, Jan 4, 2022.

?

How Long does it take for a coach to become "Good"

1. 1. Either they good or they not! Period

7 vote(s)
    18.4%
  2. 2 - 5 yrs. IF they don't have it by then - run them out the league

5 vote(s)
    13.2%
  3. Has to be fired a few times - learn from mistakes

5 vote(s)
    13.2%
  4. Getting the right roster makes a coach more than anything

20 vote(s)
    52.6%
  5. Other

1 vote(s)
    2.6%
  1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Looking at Bickerstaff now being lauded as a good coach
    knowing that around here he was considered a joke and persona non grata

I cannot help but wonder how long does it take for a coach to become comfortable
    and grow into a good to great coach?
    Are we a little too impatient?

Rocket River

2. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

sengun is worth more than silas...A WHOLE LOT MORE...and hes done nothing with him, just stunting his development making him into a problematic player with a weird tendencies not expressed in europe...

yeah perhaps silas will grow to be the best coach in the world one day .... trade him to kings or send him to g league to help him improve

you dont entrust your entire future, boatload of picks and a lot of young talent to a clueless ****, a son of the record holder in losses in NBA history because some day he could become a good coach... lolololol

aaquaa, Jontro and csc177 like this.
  3. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Fire Silas. Hire Atkinson or Van Gundy.

Imanimal and smoothie like this.
  4. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

Silas might be a good HC one day but he’s a bad match for our roster and situation. If they could steal him away from my Coogs, Kelvin Sampson would be a nice fit for a core of college age kids.

Dacamel, sydmill, Imanimal and 2 others like this.
  5. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Based upon past experience, it seems like they become good once they leave Houston. ;)

6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The right fit would be a start, sounds corny but it works.

MDA was a good fit for then Harden IMO.

7. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

The Rockets are the AAA affiliate of superstar coaches

8. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Same people calling for Silas also called JB Bickerstaff a joke so OP has a great point.

Rocket River likes this.
  9. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

I had to change my vote...

i initially thought 'right roster makes a coach...'

but then i thought... nawwwwwwww.... the right roster might give a coach a better record and thereby making him 'more successful' - but he could still suck...

i went 2-5 years... if by 5 years the dude still aint got it - he never will...

now whether or not he's had a roster or not will certainly play into folks perception of his coaching aptitude...

but he could still be a good coach whose had crap teams and a GM who aint helping him out and an owner cutting costs yada yada yada...

or he could have great personnel and have many 'successful' campaigns - while his own ineptitude prevents what could be a dynasty team from ever reaching their true potential...

and JBB still sucks...

10. csc177

csc177 Member

I don't think Silas is the answer long term - i could be wrong - had he inherited the team he thought he was w/ Harden and crew, I think the narrative is totally different. Instead he entered during a sht show and now has a bunch of 19/20 yr olds. I also think folks around the league like him more than they believe he's actually a good head coach.

Folks loved him during our winning streak - now they hate him again.

Translation: rebuilding sucks

Rocket River likes this.
  11. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I am still Amazed the love JVG gets
    He will be a taskmaster . . .. but what will his results be?
    In Houston he really didn't have much

He had veteran Knicks teams
    Who has he developed

I think that is the big thing for our coaches
    What coach has a record of developing players

Rocket River

12. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Van Gundy is maybe the worst coach for a youth movement. For his own health lol. He was interviewed for the Harden team, not for teenagers.

13. Nook

Nook Member

Bickerstaff has a 19 year old monster that has an incredibly high basketball IQ, almost never makes defensive mistakes and can defend every position on the floor… he is a top 25 player in the NBA already… he also has talent around Mobley and that makes him look a lot better…. I loved JB’s dad and JB isn’t terrible but he isn’t doing anything special… his line up and play calls are okay but not anything special… he is winning because of what he added this off season.

Coaches can improve but by in large personalities are personalities and either you have it or you don’t… or a prickly coach (Kerr/Carlisle) end up in a good cultural fit.

If Silas was special it would be obvious by now and players would not be quitting at half time.

Dacamel and Dobbizzle like this.
  14. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

It’s a tank job people- we understood the assignment.

ico4498 likes this.
  15. juanming

juanming Member

I think someone having 10 to 20 yrs of assistant coach experience should be enough of a "growth period" to be a head coach

Oh wait .......

#15 juanming, Jan 5, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2022
    Nook, Dacamel and Dobbizzle like this.
  16. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

Some of us still feel JB is a joke. Half the NBA coaches aren’t good coaches but are in situations where the talent is so good that they get away with it. We have a bad coach and bad talent so that is where you get his 26-94 record.

Rocket River likes this.
  17. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

A coach is only as good as his players in professional sports.

Rocket River likes this.
  18. Bo6

Bo6 Member

i'd take terry stotts. guy did well in bringing the best out of a super flawed portland roster.

19. Rockets4Life13

I disagree, but let’s assume your premise is right - how do you explain the season of the Atlanta Hawks for example last year? Players got magically better after they changed their coach?

Rocket River likes this.
  20. sydmill

sydmill Member

Agree with the idea that Silas is liked as a person more than he is respected as a coach in the league. I think the Rockets need someone like Sam Cassell. He is young enough to relate to the players and, as a former player, they should listen. Keep Lucas on and bring Elie into the fold and you've got most of the staff in place.