1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chris Mannix SI - Rockets Need a Culture Reset

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Amel, Jan 4, 2022.

1. Zen Tabak

Zen Tabak Member

It has changed. The team is now a lot younger which comes with its own set of challenges. With such a young team the culture is a work in progress. It doesn't need a "reset", that is just hyperbole

2. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Quitting on your team is basically a death sentence. I don’t know if you can come back from that, it’s one of the very worst things a player can do. For two of them to do it during the same halftime is mind boggling. That implies a much deeper problem.

Richie_Rich, Nook, clos4life and 3 others like this.
  3. MystikArkitect

I'd like to think it's isolated to just those two players. But if you look a little deeper you'll run into Eric Gordon liking a post where someone complained about Silas and Sengun's dad also doing something similar.

It's probably something to do with Fertitta and baby Fertitta.

clos4life likes this.
  4. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

I’d like to think that too, but I don’t think it’s that simple. There must be more going on behind the scenes. None of this feels right, there’s got to be more to the story.

5. anchel

anchel Member

¿? What happened there?

6. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

Culture reset? Sounds very familiar. Oh right, we needed that so we traded Harden away. Who knew after two years we needed another culture reset?

Hope it doesn’t become my 15 yo PC that resets every other day.

clos4life and PeterKingX like this.
  7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Player only meetings.

It is a cycle of turning corners.

Then having fallouts and players barking at each other, coaching staff.

Rinse repeat.

Os Trigonum likes this.
  8. anchel

anchel Member

Mannix doesn't know the day-to-day stuff to assert culture issues. I've seen improvements on every of our young guys; we recently had a good winning streak... I wouldn't dare to assure that there exist issues with the culture (there were with the Harden's Rockets), maybe with an specific player/s.
    Rockets are just bad because the roster is not good enough.

Mannix is reaching to write a tabloid article. In reality he doesn't know a sh*t about the players' behaviour nor the day to day of the team. Coaches do. I trust more them from what I've seen and heard so far.

And BTW, enough with the "poor Silas" stuff. I felt bad for him last year, it was certainly a nightmare. But the organization trusted him and he's now experiencing an standard year on a rebuilding team. There use to be issues with young players at these kind of teams... on the other hand there is absolutely no winning pressure. Being a professional coach implies to be able to manage these situations.

Nook, clos4life, Htown Legend and 2 others like this.
  9. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Çulture is a blanket term for anything bad in this world.

Every rebuilding team has, "bad culture" until they aren't bad.
    Then they become alrite....until something bad happens again

fchowd0311 and hakeem94 like this.
  10. jim1961

jim1961 Member

The desperation for NBA writers to find something, anything to write about might be at a all time high.

Anyone who weighs such opinions as being anywhere near unbiased is high also.

Zen Tabak likes this.
  11. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

12. Tuckankhamun

Tuckankhamun Member

That's because news writers are paid to write on a 5th grade reading level.

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Harden quit on the Rockets
    Tmac quit on the Rockets
    Maxwell quit on the Rockets
    Hakeem faked an injury to get a new contract

I mean - players have had beefs with management for years......they either get over it, or they move on....nothing new to see here.

DD

14. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

Before anyone jumps on me for saying this, just we to start off by saying I do not like what kpj did or think one game suspension is enough. To label him disgruntled due to one incident though is a blatant attempt to fab the controversy flame. I think past statements by kpj show that he is anything but disgruntled. We also don't know if it would have been worse had he stayed around.

You knew what you had with kpj and you took him on despite it so I think if you give up on him due to one incident then you really didn't know what you were getting into.

Easy and Zen Tabak like this.
  15. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

Those guys quit on the team which resulted in them staying 5hey didn't want to be in their situation for the long term. Kpj is diff. He left the game for a half (still wrong). But to my knowledge he still wants to be part of the team. He had a bad moment and made a bad decision. This would be analogous to mad max punching a fan

16. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Forgive KPJ and ship out Wood.

eliefor3 likes this.
  17. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Wood is getting traded it’s just a matter of when. KPJ likely gets one more chance.

As for culture we seem to have some good character guys outside of our two troubled dudes. Team is going to continue to evolve after the trade deadline, draft, and off-season. Nothing to reset yet.

Richie_Rich, Easy, clos4life and 2 others like this.
  18. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I thought we were trying to find a culture. We're already trying to reset it? Damn, and here I was thinking we really just needed some talent.

Dobbizzle and Easy like this.
  19. htownborn34

htownborn34 Member

1. I was under the impression that the culture was reset when Fertitta got rid of Morey and MDA.

2. We’re still trying to build a culture with these young and up and coming players

clos4life and PeterKingX like this.
  20. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Silas needs to go too.

clos4life likes this.