1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

Hollinger & Duncan rank Rockets organization 23/24 of 30

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by napalm06, Jan 3, 2022.

1. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

2018:
    Rockets assemble a 60 win juggernaut team with a quick defensive anchor at center, 3 high-IQ NBA all-defense level 3&D wings who can guard 4 positions, a 6th man of the year guard, a HOF shooting guard and an HOF point guard. They take the "unbeatable" Kevin Durant Warriors cheatcode dynasty to a 3-2 brink.

Tilman Fertitta buys team.

2019:
    Carmelo Anthony (clearance rack signing to WCF team)
    Michael Carter-Williams (clearance rack signing to WCF team)
    Kenneth Faried (clearance rack signing to WCF team)
    James Ennis (Great Value brand Trevor Ariza/Luc Mbah a Moute replacement attempt)
    Terrence Jones 2.0 (clearance rack signing to WCF team)
    Austin Rivers (discount sale signing)
    Ryan Anderson (burned D'Anthony Melton to dump)
    Marqueese Chriss (spent 2019 first and 2022 second to dump)
    Brandon Knight (spent 2019 first and 2022 second to dump)
    Iman Shumpert (spent 2nd round pick to acquire, another desperation Ariza/Moute replacement)

I don't even know what this group was doing on an NBA roster, except costing nothing:
    Gary Clark
    Zhou Qi
    Chris Chiozza
    Vince Edwards
    James Nunnally

Which 2019 move was the winningest move by a brand new owner who acquired a championship caliber roster?

Onward to 2020 (this is already painful to relive):
    Bruno Caboclo (....)
    Thabo Sefolosha (Dollar Tree atempt to makeup for Ariza/Moute, 2.0)
    DeMarre Carroll (clearance rack signing for warm big man body)
    Tyson Chandler, the corpse of (clearance rack signing)
    Luc Mbah A Moute, the corpse of (clearance rack signing)
    Chris Clemons (who was 5'9)
    Jeff Green (clearance rack signing)
    Ben McLemore (clearance rack signing)
    Michael Frazier (who?)

Robert Covington!!
    Oh, nice! An NBA rotation player. But wait, there's more.
    We traded Clint Capela and a first round pick.
    The trade generated $12M in cap space for Houston.... it went unused.

Finally...
    RUSSELL WESTBROOK FOR CHRIS PAUL..... AND TWO FIRST ROUND PICKS AND TWO PICK SWAPS WHAT IN THE NAME OF ALL OF THE GODS

This is not NBA level talent scouting. This is someone who bought a country club membership and is furiously shopping at Dollar Tree to try and get dressed for it.

Anyone else have questions?

2. dmoneybangbang

We had a pretty hard fall from the top in 2017 until today. Can't really argue with being 2nd tier from bottom based off everything. I think passing on Mobley will hurt us (I wanted Green predraft and was wrong) but how much will be an ongoing question. We will really need to come away from this draft with some great talent and continue the rebuild by hopefully moving Wood, KPJ, and EG.

3. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

This organization deserves to suffer as long as the clown is in charge.

4. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

I honestly find that first sentence absolutely hilarious.

"he might be a little more willing to spend now than he was when he first took over the team"

Translation, he might be more willing to spend now that he has arguably the worst team in the entire league, than he was when he first took over the team that won 65 games and was a hamstring injury away from a championship.

Richie_Rich and Zboy like this.
  5. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Hard to rank us other than anything in the bottom.

We are a third rate organization.

Tilman and his family are a joke.

6. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

Don't worry we already made a huge mistake by drafting Green instead of All-Defensive team and future dpoy Evan Mobley. Probably because Tilman was influenced by social media and fans alike, wanting flashiness to sell tickets.

daywalker02, awc713 and juanming like this.
  7. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

The owner is among the worst but Stone has done an incredible job, we already have multiple potential all star rookies. I think people forget how long it takes to get to that point usually.

This draft is going to be transformative for us and the reason we become a long term contender. Stone has set this up so that our cap flexibility mimics the warriors prior to Durant. The contract decisions come at the right time and all the high potential players become restricted FA’s. Wall and Gordon expiring and coming off the books at a perfect time.

Adding a top 5 pick this summer along with 8 total fist round picks in the next 5 years makes us one of the best rebuilding teams in the NBA.

Bo6, napalm06, burlesk and 3 others like this.
  8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Lol, I give you a summary of what you wrote without embellishing it.
    Breh, you got the most flowery language that is so impractical.

(Got rid of transformative...... best .......multiple allstars......incredible.....perfect time..... long term contender)

#28 daywalker02, Jan 4, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2022
  9. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

The R.E.S.P.E.C.T is gone

10. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I’m just more optimistic than you based on what I’ve seen, nothing to worry about.

11. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Surprised that the collapse of the restaurant industry isn’t mentioned here. It makes him a huge liability as an owner because his lifeblood financially is tied to restaurants, and his restaurants are particularly based on old school theme park style or chain concepts.

I’m sure the nba regrets selling to him because the Rockets have probably lost some value for various reasons, but I guess we won’t know how bad it’ll be until the Rockets have a star level player again and we see how serious Tillman is with winning vs avoiding bankruptcy.

Yet Houston is still a town that should be sought after by free agents and the market would do well with a growing population and the Texans creating a vacuum for the Rockets to grab fans when they’d normally be football first. So it’s a big case of we’ll wait and see if Houston can weather the storm of Tillman Fertitta/pandemic plus whatever players the rebuild puts into the lineup over the next couple years that’ll brand the organization for the next generation.

napalm06, burlesk and daywalker02 like this.
  12. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

....the Nuggets are a "Tier 2" team by the above rating and Stan Kroenke routinely puts his family in high ranking org positions on the various sports teams he owns. I think you'll find nepotism (or hiring ex-players for their pedigree rather than actual front office skills) is VERY common in sports organizations among owners and execs alike - it's changing for sure thanks to the shift to analytics and metrics based evaluation, but it's still a thing. It's one of the reasons having a GM based on merit is such a competitive advantage for most teams because for every Daryl Morey there are several people in positions of power who got there through connections to other high ranking members.

burlesk and RayRay10 like this.
  13. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

And, looking at a Houston organization that has been doing quite well, the Astros, Jim Crane replaced Reid Ryan with his son In 2019.

14. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

This is a fantastic post. Tilman penny pinched a contending team and that was the beginning of the downfall with Harden leaving, wanting to be on a contending team. Nets BTW are paying the LT that Tilman would not.

End of story.

burlesk likes this.
  15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Would want someone from the tech industry and favorably with no kids or kids doing their own thing, not interested in the business of their dads.

16. dmoneybangbang

Save us Michael Dell!

Desktops ftw!

17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I believe Duncan had Cleveland at Number 30, then changed it several times, to 27 finally.

His reasons being Dan Gilbert and KLove's contract.

They did the podcast one month ago, before all that Wood and Kevin crap and the recent losing streak.

napalm06 likes this.
  18. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

I don't think them on the whole as an organization is bad. When they make moves they aren't terrible. My main issue is they take too long to figure out what to do and let stuff go sour.

Quicker more decisive moves and getting rid of Silas will put the team on a right track. Trading Wood this year and trying to improve their wings with hopefully better, more taller defenders will go a long way.

The main thing that made the Theis signing a bad deal is because they made one of the best deals in getting Sengun. If Wood is traded this year the Theis signing looks a little less bad.

I think they played the asset flipping of LaVert and Allen pretty bad though. I think they could have done much better deals with their contracts, especially the Allen one.

All in all getting rid of Wood and Silas should be their top priority moving forward.

napalm06 likes this.
  19. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

To be fair one of their primary metrics is willingness to spend. They talk about how the Nuggets traditionally haven't been willing to spend but seem to be rewarding home grown players recently, perhaps too much. But your point stands.

Yeah it gets muddy, I tried to get the tiers right but even that was confusing. :cool:

Not sure the current record matters, remember they have OKC pretty high and the Lakers pretty low. They said they're trying to measure whether a franchise is in good hands in 5 years.

glimmertwins and daywalker02 like this.
  20. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Tilman stans will gaslight u with who could we have gone for? Poor ole tilman was bullied by Harden to trade cp3 for westbrook bc he had to pamper his superstar.

very well done though, sadly only those who already knew that tilman is a cheap ass will read it, dem tilman stans will consider this Harden fanboi slandering tilman