1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

We have to get rid of KPJ

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by htownfan_9210, Nov 7, 2021.

1. HeyBudLetsParty

Give Christopher his starting spot till he matures, kid isn’t the best yet but he always plays hard. Not willing to cut KPJ yet but this is ridiculously unprofessional, and childish behavior. I’ve never heard of a player leaving in the middle of the game, can’t give this kid keys to the team unless he earns it.

2. mightybosstone

I think cutting him completely sends the wrong message. KPJ had long seen Houston as his chance for redemption and a saving grace, and Houston added him knowing he was a reclamation project with baggage.

If you come out and publicly punish him, while acknowledging you want to work with him and that you believe in the kid, that's good PR for the team as it tries to build itself up as a pro-player organization.

At the same time, dude has to be on super thin ice now. This was a huge breach of trust and a slap in the face to the team. Anything like this happens again, and you have to cut him.

And I say all this as someone who's not particularly high on KPJ as a player. But if you add a guy like this knowing the backstory, you knew what you were getting into. You have to give him time and be willing to ride the roller coaster a bit.

3. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Problem is the image is we let stars and now wanna be stars control things and have things they think their entitled to without earning it.

csc177 likes this.
  4. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

He needs to be suspended and hit with a heavy fine at the bare minimum. He also needs to lose his starting spot. I’d be totally fine with cutting him from the team, but if they do decide to keep him he needs to be forced to work to get back what he quit on.

5. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I'm OK with simply being a bad basketball team, it's obviously part of a rebuild.

But an ugly atmosphere in the locker room can start infecting everything. Porter's play hasn't been anywhere near good enough to tolerate his crap. I don't want him around Green, Sengun, Martin and Christopher.

I simply don't see enough from him to think he'll ever be more than a good scoring combo guard who helps off the bench, and that's if he ever gets his s**t together, which I see no reason to think he will.

Richie_Rich, aaquaa, Patience and 5 others like this.
  6. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

I'm with this. We really don't know what was said or why. Of course the perception from the outside looking in isn't great but this isn't the end for me. Honestly, I consider Wood's actions and attitude entirely more problematic than Porter's. Whatever it is, I hope they get things straightened out quickly.

glynch and mightybosstone like this.
  7. PatBev

PatBev Member

Like I said if he starts getting arrested or this becomes I regular occurrence

It seems like most coaches & players knows his issues so it’s not like it’s what the organization is known for. We are actually starting to be known for trying to help the kid. Hopefully he realizes soon he doesn’t look tough doing this type of **** and it’s only embarrassing for his image

8. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Yeah I just never agreed with him starting this year right off the bat. He should have earned it over Wall and Jalen Green should have earned it over Gordon.

9. TimDuncanDonaut

It's mid season report card. Hopefully Rockets org has gotten the KPJ starter PG experiment out of their system. KPJ's performance is up and down, but last night should be nail in the coffin. Shift the PG duty to Christopher and Sengun. Rebuild time is precious don't waste too much time.

Sengun and Wood together only averages like 3 minutes a game. The two big might not be good lineup-wise, but it's much better to know that now then later for data points. That way team knows what to do with Wood at trade deadline. Sengun one week injury and Wood for discipline issues, this might have to wait a bit.

10. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

I am kind of sad this happened to KPJ. I did not like his attitude but he seemed to pull it together slowly. I have similar feelings about not letting him go. But I don't think there is a way of keeping him without him showing a drastic change of attitude starting now. And probably this is not going to happen.

11. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

You don’t just do something like Porter Jr did ( LEAVING THE ARENA?) on the first strike. I’m sure there have been signs leading up to this internally. Additionally, this kids contract is up in the near future, do you pay him? If you do, you’re validating all of his BS behavior. Money makes you more of who you are, if you’re an a**hole, you’ll be bigger a**hole with money.

I’d cut bait & save my 4 rookies because the team culture is at stake. Stone & Silas has to show a firm hand or there could be chaos with as many young guys as the Rockets have.

Richie_Rich likes this.
  12. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

This didn’t “happen to KPJ” , he’s done it to himself AGAIN. Time to move on. He’s just not smart enough to take advantage of the opportunity in front of him. It’s his own fault.

13. koby1868

koby1868 Member

Forgot how toxic this **** was now I remember why I left

14. vator

vator Contributing Member

So what you’re really saying is when you don’t like what people say, you just quit too huh?

sealclubber1016 and TEXNIFICENT like this.
  15. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

lol

Patience and TEXNIFICENT like this.
  16. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Yes i agree. Him and Wood just don’t fit and it’s getting more apparent everyday. Not fitting in terms id determination, effort, spirit to win. Character has plagued them their whole careers and it’s shown its ugly Head again. It’s time to cut ties. Hopefully they can be successful elsewhere.

Ramo$e likes this.
  17. Ramo$e

Ramo$e Member

Nice analysis. I have come to the same conclusion. KPj and Green are cool to an extent but definitely are competing for coaches "green light".

I'm glad Lucas is around to give them some prospective mostly KPj. Green seems pretty agreeable and needs the opportunities. KPj on the other hand has had opportunity even at his late draft pick in Cleveland he was given time to show his potential. We all should known better we have had plenty of guys come through here with the right body type, size and all the tools only to sabotage their career with poor mental attitude.

I can see teammates not wanting to give it back just so he can dribble the air the out or either jack it up or pass when the clock is low. I would be more understanding if he was mad Wood didn't give him the ball to bring it up.

Leaving solves nothing. Does he get paid for half the game??? Lol Throwing stuff shows he hasn't matured.

#617 Ramo$e, Jan 2, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2022
    Stephen_A likes this.
  18. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

Sure. I guess I feel bad because I was too harsh on him and now I think Wood is a bigger problem and should be the first guy to go. I am completely okay with cutting him today. he was lucky to have been given the chance and did not use it properly.

Kpj was unlucky to have another toxic player Wood and no one to really mentor him. Since he is young I hope he gets a chance somewhere else but needs to start from the bottom with a different attitude and start over. So what I was saying, if he gives an indication of this kind of attitude change and is ready to go the second unit and come on time, practice hard, comply to the coaches completely, he can still be given a chance. I hope this incident is something to remind him his talent will not get him anywhere with this attitude.

as i said the more likely thing to happen is this will not happen and probably better for him anyway if this happens somewhere else.

19. csc177

csc177 Member

Exactly right, the league is watching.

Ramo$e likes this.
  20. varughese.arun

I agree with everything ur saying. KPJ along with WOOD is a foundation to locker room malignancy. KPJ also hinders Green and more importantly Christopher's development. Get them out

Ramo$e, AroundTheWorld and aaquaa like this.