1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jalen Green has played 20 games so far, here is a look at his first 10 games vs. his last 10 games

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by flamingdts, Dec 29, 2021.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Find it amusing because Green is doing better, peeps feel the urge to hit back against Mobley.

Dude is a help defender that can defend up to 3-4 positions, he is not a big scorer (yet).

I guess they wanted a super glue guy who could be fostered to become a star player one day, not now.

Dobbizzle likes this.
  2. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

He's doing well to be fair, good game tonight. I have no problems giving a man his props, I'm just not a fan of people slating players on their own team to continuously bang on about opposition players. If people love him and want to talk about him so much, they really should just go support him and stop crying about a team who he doesn't play for not having him.

Joe Rocket likes this.
  3. MystikArkitect

Mobley is a rookie who's got great defensive upside. He has a lot of offensive warts that are mitigated by Garland and Allen essentially being near All Star level players. Since he doesn't have training wheels on today you can see what a team would look like when he's tasked to shoulder more of the load.

Rookies are gonna rook. To think Mobley just "contributes to more wins" vs Cade or Jalen at this point is ludicrous. He has better teammates and isn't asked to do much on the offensive end outside of bunnies and cleanup.

fchowd0311, vator and Joe Rocket like this.
  4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Defense wins you more games, I am sure I am not the only one who believes that.

While Barnes and Mobley’s WS, and Defensive WS are not otherworldly, they are better than Cunningham and Green's.

Better teammates will make you better. While you believe one has to do it alone, teammates can accelerate progress.

It is also pretty clear that Barnes and Mobley are ahead of Sengun even in the rankings.

It is a good time for Sengun, Green, Christopher, Garuba to show what they are up to.

#144 daywalker02, Dec 30, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2021
  5. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

This is pretty true, generally there is a pretty clear trend between assists numbers versus touches.

Green is 9th among rookies in touches, and tied for 9th among rookies in assists. We can see two obvious standouts among passers, which is Sengun and Mitchell, both of which average more assists than their touches would indicate. There are some that are lower (Mobley, Duarte), but compared to other rookies, Green's assists numbers is in line with what you would expect for the touches he gets.

[​IMG]

One thing that does stand out is the passes made is very low for both Sengun and Green, which likely speaks towards the poor quality offense that the Rockets are running.

6. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

I agree with this. At this point its trolling. We arent going to get Mobley so whats the point of constantly bringing him up. Also our team is a totally different situation. No matter what rookie you bring here they wouldnt be as successful as elsewhere especially with Barnes and Mobley who have much better coaches.

Do we really believe Silas was gonna sit his faves Tate and Theis for Barnes or Mobley? No.
    Would SIlas play Mobley at the 3? No.
    Do the Rockets have Clevelands vets and talent? No.
    Do the Rockets have Clevelands offensive system? No.
    Do the Rockets have two pure point guards averaging high assists to get Mobley easy buckets? No.

Its just stupid to compare rookies of different positions on different teams with a different coach and with different talent 3 months into the league when history shows that these players in two years will have a totally different player ranking than they do now.

Zen Tabak likes this.
  7. finsraider

finsraider Member

I remain convinced that:

1) Both Green and Sengun are “hits”, and we would win enough to drop our draft position to around #10 if we played our best players the minutes they deserve.
    2) The staff knows #1 is true.
    3) The FO will invent ways to make sure we continue losing while still developing our young players.

I fully expect a return to the double big lineup when Wood is traded.

peleincubus and cmoak1982 like this.
  8. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Why should anyone care if he has a 40 point game?

The question should always be does he contribute to winning not how many points he can possibly score.

And you have the nerve to call other posters stupid.

What's your reason for hyping his possible ability to score 30 or 40 yet downplaying the impact to winning that Mobley has had with his all-around stat lines and his defensive ability?

It's amazing that you think if he scores 30 or 40 points in a game that somehow proves a point.

NewAge likes this.
  9. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Where is the Mobley does no wrong crowd?

Can you name them because I have not seen them, you people need to stop getting in your feelings about Mobley just because he is farther along than Green.

Stop hating.

10. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Dude he does not have to take on the scoring load to be an impactful player that team still has plenty of scoring and he impacts the game in so many other ways.

This is a terrible take.

Do you want to use that same thing to judge Green?

How many games did we win while he was hurt?

How many games have we won since he returned?

11. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

Again this is false, why the **** is Wall sitting if what you pay a guy means he should start? How about kevin love you really want me to go down the list? Its made up bs. Theis is not a star he can come off the bench. And if they were going to go with a 2 big lineup which other teams have done successfully it should have been Sengun and Wood not Theis and again that **** was obvious in preseason when half the board was screaming for it.

12. MystikArkitect

Mobley is having a better rookie season than Green in that he has more talent around him. Same thing with Cade. Do you really believe Mobley is a superior player offensively than Green is? They're about as close offensively as they are defensively. One has a long way to go with one. The other has a long way to go in the other. Is Mobley better than Green? No, not yet. And if you haven't seen the constant b****ing of the Mobley crowd every time Green so much as makes a mistake then you haven't been paying attention. Maybe that's the case.

My point is that each rookie has their upside and their downsides. Mobley ended up in the best situation and when he doesn't have good players around him, he'll lose. There's only so much he can do. Same thing with Scottie, Cade and anyone else.

13. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

No he is having a better rookie season than Green is because he is impacting the games much more positively than Green.

The fact that you think it is even up for debate shows you have a bias or you don't know what you are looking at.

This is not to say we would have a winning team if we picked him but Sengun is having a better rookie year than Green and he is on the same team.

This is not about team success.

cmoak1982, NewAge and withmustard like this.
  14. MystikArkitect

You think Sengun is having a better rookie year than Jalen is?

I'm not even sure how to respond to that.

15. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

I rarely jump into other poster's debates, but yes, Senguin has had a significantly better year than Green. Hopefully Green breaks out into the superstar people thought he would, but he's not there yet. Senguin has played much better than Green, but Jalen has thinned the gap a little lately. One could argue that Christopher has had a better year than Green. I'm not saying Christopher is the better prospect, I think he has given better minutes to the team so far.

cmoak1982, jiggyfly and NewAge like this.
  16. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

When you look at all three players they all have the potential to be stars. The ceiling for Jalen is soooo high because of the talent and athleticism. The ceiling for Sengun is high too because he's really gifted especially mentally and with his feet. I just hope he grows another inch or two. JC is more of the hard working type which I highly respect but his hardwork is paying off and he looks like a guy that will definitely reach his potential and ceiling.

I hate to say one rookie is better than another this early and pump one up to devalue another. We will see in time. I know a lot of people love Sengun like he's Rocky Balboa and JG being the next Kobe sounds nice but a lot depends on a lot of different factors. I'm looking forward to all 3 because one thing I know is the Houston Rockets are giving all these guys every advantage there is to grow into that superstar.

17. NewAge

NewAge Member

Yes, excellent points!
    We’ve got three talented rookies, and all three have shown flashes, but also have had rough patches.

There’s no denying however, that Green has been way behind the other two when graded against hype and expectations. Both in term of basketball production and in terms of toughness/hustle/-physicality. The #2 pick, the salary it brings, the marketing it brings carries higher expectations, sorry.

And in that regard for me at least, Green has disappointed and underperformed relative to expectations, while Alpi and Josh have overperformed. That’s why the tone is negative when discussing Green and positive when discussing Alpi and Josh: one is under the spread the other two are over the spread.

Cstyle42, jiggyfly and TEXNIFICENT like this.
  18. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

Sengun hasnt had to deal with the lack of spacing issues that Jalen has had to deal with. The same thing could be said about JC who also struggled and was sent to the g league and came back playing great with Theis out of the starting lineup. The last few games show that if we had a decent coach who recognizes problems early then Jalen would likely be averaging 20 per and leading the rookie race. But I hate when people pit our rookies against each other it really doesnt make any sense. So what? Whats your point if one has had a better season to date than the other so what?

vator and mario_v like this.
  19. Rockets4lf

Rockets4lf Member

He will be another Kevin Martin trash player. Will not make an impact wherever he go.

20. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

LOL. Martin averaged 2 points his rookie year despite spending three years in college before declaring.

Bo6, vator, Joe Rocket and 1 other person like this.