1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

Case for Trading Up to get Alperen Sengun

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Medicine N Music, Jul 3, 2021.

1. dmoneybangbang

Agreed. I don’t think the Rockets are thinking Sengun is the future of the team not even halfway through the season.

I fully get why people are attracted to Sengun, especially after losing our franchise player last season. But pump the brakes.

2. dmoneybangbang

Yep. Conversely, John Wall is on the bench paving the way for KPJ and Green getting minutes.

Ankara1923 likes this.
  3. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

No one wants John Wall. The worst contract in basketball. Wood is young and even if he may not be in our future, he is valuable as an asset. Sengun is getting plenty of minutes to develop. 20 minutes is plenty for a rookie big.

Christian Wood and Clint Capela didn't get more than 20 minutes until they were in their 3rd season. He will get more minutes when he abuses everyone.

Dobbizzle likes this.
  4. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

youre being positive and thats nice... however mediocre player teams and practices cant be your role models..

also if denver nuggest gave nikola jokic 18 minutes per game in his rokie year it doesnt automatically mean thats a recipe for MVP development and the gold standard

its like sayin oh Michael jordan took only one 3 pointer per game so its ok if jalen green does the same...lololol

you guys are just helping rockets stay mediocre and bad forever by justifying silas and stone malpractice

sengun is once in a decade player and now that you have lucked your way into drafting him now you do everything to stunt his development??! because of an aditional frp or srp you could get if you give pt to a vet youd like to trade....phahahahahahahahah
    loololol
    they are just holding him back, and if he somehow still develops into mvp player it doesnt mean they were right, it just means he could be even greater or reached the height sooner...NOT PLAYING IS NOT GOOD FOR BASKETBALL PLAYER

5. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

JG JC Nwaba KPJ house augustine did this a lot:

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  6. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

At least he tries on the defensive end. That’s more I can say for some other players. I’d rather him foul and let the opponent earn it from the FT line, then give them a free lane for dunks/layups. Need to avoid those AND 1’s of course. If you want to foul, foul hard and make sure they don’t put up the shot. But with more experience and film watching, that’s easily fixable. That’s least of my concern.

slothy420 and AroundTheWorld like this.
  7. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

OR... we are not silly / stupid enough to believe we somehow know more than professionals hired to coach and manage a professional franchise from the comforts of our armchairs and never having sniffed a second of being in charge of even a semi-professional team.

8. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

That would be worst case scenario for Rockets

9. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I mean, they did trade two firsts to move up for a player that was widely considered a top 8 talent.
    He’s been the best rookie in the league, and by far the best on the Rockets.
    He’s a more complete prospect than Green right now and that’s not even debatable.
    And these defensive “obstacles” don’t even make sense. His metrics are some of the best on the team and far better than rookies in the team.

Do you hold Greens defensive liabilities in the same light? He’s a minus defender right now. Facilitating could be a plus but not at the moment. Non factor rebounding. Potentially elite scorer but most likely is going to be a streaky shooter.
    That is more upside than Sengun? Makes no sense

10. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Th
    Then the Rockets are idiots, you don’t trade that much for someone that you don’t think is the a big part of the future

11. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

This is a stupid take. By your standard, all we can do is singing praises here. We can’t criticize the coach because we’ve never coached a pro team. We can’t criticize players either of course because we’ve never played pro basketball. So why are we even here?

12. dmoneybangbang

I just can’t get behind this so early. If Sengun’s contract was a NBA game, then we wouldn’t even be at the 6 minute mark of the first quarter.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  13. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

[​IMG]

14. chenjy9

Supporting Member

I never said you couldn't criticize management, just that you are wholly under qualified to do so. That would be like me telling a doctor his diagnosis of my sprained ankle is wrong. At the end of the day, what the hell do I know compared to the doctor? For us to sit here and criticize things like minute distribution is dumb when we have no idea of what is going on with the team or even having coached a second of professional teams. The smart thing is to watch the kids play and enjoy the things they do good and if you have to, lament the things they don't.

15. chenjy9

Supporting Member

• We traded up to get him because we wanted him, yes. That doesn't change the fact that we wanted Green MORE as we grabbed him at #2. If we really wanted Sengun more than Green, we would have grabbed him at #2.
    • He has NOT been the best rookie in the league, though he has been the best performing rookie for the Rockets.
    • "He’s a more complete prospect than Green right now and that’s not even debatable." Why the hell does this even matter?!? Development is a journey, not an instant thing. Just because Sengun is more complete now, does NOT mean he will end up that way.
    • Try re-reading what I said again.
    I value great offense over great defense all day, every day. A great scorer is infinitely more valuable than a great defender (which Sengun is definitely not) and imo Green has far more potential to be a great scorer than Sengun does. You want to harp on Green's defensive liabilities, fine. What about Sengun's inability to stop fouling? I would say that is just as bad as it can quickly put the entire team in foul trouble.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  16. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

On several occasions, I have told doctors about medicines that would help a condition and they did the research and said I was correct and they learned something. Multiple people on this site were crying that Theis and Wood did not work together, and, lo and behold, they were right. Sometimes, fans have good takes about coaches that management only realizes later (Buttchin?). I can’t stand it when people say fans should just shut up when the team is being stupid. I haven’t written Silas off by any means, just like I haven’t written any of our rookies off. This year is about patience. I am extremely pleased with the way KPJ, Green, and Sengun have progressed. I watch every game from Nashville, where I live now, and have had a great deal of admiration for that progression and the job Stone has done. We are in a fast re-build in my opinion.

17. chenjy9

Supporting Member

Ever heard the saying that even a blind squirrel can find a nut or how a broken clock is right twice a day? You can be right and still be 100% under qualified with your opinion. Like I said, people can criticize, just that they are not qualified to do so and almost always come out of it with egg on their face. This is not even considering what development goals and plans that Silas and crew might be following. Maybe they promised ahead of time to try and see if Theis and Wood can coexist as part of the reason to get him to sign with us, similar to Asik and Dwight where we told Asik we would try out Twin Towers despite the fact that it absolutely killed spacing. Not saying that is what happened, just saying that none of us have the team knowledge or the professional acumen, so who the hell are we to call these guys stupid, incompetent, busts, or whatever fanrage crap we want to spew on keyboards behind monitors.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  18. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

[​IMG]

aaquaa likes this.
  19. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

[​IMG]
    that cant be right, no? I ve been told doctors have every right to kill you if they doing it for your own good...

20. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

You have a 19 year old rookie who leads the team or is second in offensive rebounds, deflections, shots contested, charges drawn, steals in per36 and you don't want to play him more because of the and 1s. Even he was average or bad in the stats above, 19 year old rookie is giving away some and 1s and that would bother you. And if he did not give away the max 2 points on the and 1s where would Houston be? Still at the bottom of the conference!

Silas makes tons of decisions. If we were to make them, we would be so bad that we would be fired in a week. But to point out mistakes in some of these decisions after seeing the results is much easier. This is what we are doing. Not playing Sengun more is a missed opportunity, bad for the rebuild. Same for Green. Any improvement on these guys must be the priority.