1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

Sengun is a black hole

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ashleyem, Dec 23, 2021.

1. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Teen violence all up in this thread( Green vs Senguin.. Black vs European) ... When will it stop? Lol

aaquaa likes this.
  2. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

He appears to have a fixation with holes.

roslolian likes this.
  3. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Wow, a lot to dissect here.
    You can project and miscast me any way you would like. It doesn’t affect me in the least. Preconceived notions and stereotyping people by opinions is most likely the reason you have Sengun pegged like you do, while simultaneously asserting Green the epitome of “upside”.
    That’s the problem with most people. They are enamored with physical assets instead of actual skill. A player that can run fast and jump is the only tangible criteria most people can attach themselves to. They (you) simply lack the knowledge to see anything else.

Sengun is in no way undersized. 6’10 with 7’1 wingspan is right at the average for a modern center. The hypocrisy is Green is actually undersized compared to his predraft projections.
    Sengun is fluid, coordinated, flexible and has the dexterity of a much smaller player. Couple that with average to above average quickness and leaping (you can find this in multiple highlight including an in game 360 dunk) you have the makings of a hybrid era player.
    He combines the skill of big men of the past with the ability and upside of modern NBA by men.
    Bottom line is you can go down the list of all time NBA greats. The list of elite athletes, in terms of run and jump, isn’t as big as the list of elite skillset. Specially in big men.

But you go ahead and continue to perpetuate the stereotypes and feed into that ridiculous narrative. It suits you, specially after that sanctimonious post you just replied with.

4. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

To add to that @34to11
    I am in no way a Green hater or critic. I do think he has a ton of potential, but he’s much farther away than Sengun is to being a high level player at his position. He’s a potentially elite scorer, but at this point he offers little else. Defense, ball handling, facilitating, consistent shooting, rebounding and hustle are all areas of either weakness or lack of attention.
    I think he has the right mindset to get it done and he and Sengun can be a version of Jokic and Murray.

roslolian and aaquaa like this.
  5. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

The only reason I do not write this is that I can't express myself in English this well. You are the voice to millions who want to say this :).

AroundTheWorld, aaquaa and cmoak1982 like this.
  6. aaquaa

aaquaa Member

... But he lacks athleticism!

AroundTheWorld and cmoak1982 like this.
  7. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Does he turn the ball over too much? Sure
    Is he a foul machine? Possibly
    Is a a terribly switch defender? Looks like it.

Is he a ball stopper? Get the **** out of here with that nonsense.

Dude has a lot to work on, he's young, and his lateral defense is well, scary bad. But he's also 19. 19.

Remember. 19.

Dobbizzle and roslolian like this.
  8. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Black hole when used as a way to describe a basketball player, I think of a selfish ball hogger

Sengun is one of the most unselfish player I have seen as a rookie.
    If u want to criticize his defense, u could say he's the weak link on the team. but even then his d is better compared to a lot of players on the team.

black hole is a bad term to describe sengun, weak link is debatable.

At the young age of 19, he isn't instant hall of famer material, but if he hones his craft he will b one of the best european/turkish player to grace the court barring any injuries.

He has weaknesses, but man is he fun to watch. not everyday u see a rookie that has such a crafty playstyle

clutchdabear, Bo6, roslolian and 2 others like this.
  9. roslolian

roslolian Member

So you feel like at age 19 Sengun will never improve for the rest of his career?

I could honestly say a couple of choice words but since it's Christmas and all I guess I'll refrain just this once.

This is a dumb thread though this should be closed. Sure Sengun is more "advanced" due to his professional background and his own bball IQ but even if a kid has been playing basketball in the womb he can still improve as he grows older. There is no limit to the peak of basketball you won't wake up and say oh yeah I have reached my level limit there's no way I can improve anymore.

clutchdabear, Bo6, Dobbizzle and 2 others like this.
  10. 34to11

34to11 Member

Interesting diatribe, especially given that I DID NOT MENTION Green one single time in this thread about Şengün.
    Once again you have revealed yourself.

It's even more telling that you perceive even honest and constructive criticism as an attack and cause to retreat further into your identity protective cognition.

Sadly, none of that is surprising to me. Thinly veiled narratives like yours rarely stand up to even the slightest bit of scrutiny.
    The funny part is that while half of the Şengün zealots are denying the ball gets sticky with Alperen, the other half are busy trying to justify why the ball sticks with him.

Like I said before, we can disagree but the facts speak for themselves.
    Plus, honestly I don't give a crap about the blinded opinions of those who unduly foist their hopes and dreams upon a 19 year old rookie just to abate their own insecurities. I've seen that movie before.
    I'm here to cheer the Rockets.

Verbal Christ likes this.
  11. hakeemthagreat

DMo, Sengun, Lin, Yi etc...Were ALL medicore at best, but are still the most celebrated guys here. Wonder why?

Being a athlete alone can't score points or pass. Green can do both at a very high level

12. Sengun

Sengun Member

I told you not to smoke that hash so much.

AroundTheWorld, cmoak1982 and aaquaa like this.
  13. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

One thing I worry about or expect with all rookies is
    the rookie wall.

College season may go about 32 games while the Euro leagues
    and others go around 30 games as well.

I saw Sam Dekker shoot the 3 decent up until around the 30 game
    mark and then was scared to shoot the 3 as it just left hm.

Sengun was a 40% three point shooter up to 21 games into the
    season...... 07.7% from three since (span of 11 games)

Teams are picking up on this.

snowconeman22, DeBeards and aaquaa like this.
  14. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

never mind, most turks flied pretty stable, easily past their rookie walls and landed safely into the bowls,
    Hedo Turkoglu
    Mehmet Okur
    Ersan ilyasova
    Cedi Osman

just now i googled, almost all turks incl turkoglu, Okur, ilyasova etc played in Europe league or Turkey league before entering nbadraft,
    as long as they got no problem, i dun't think Senguin'll be an exception.
    happy holidays buddy!

#134 DeBeards, Dec 25, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2021
  15. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Really? Hakeem, Maxwell, Harden, and many others have been celebrated greatly on this forum. You are the one that is worried about the pigment in skin cells and can’t ever get past it. The only pigment we should care about is Rocket Red. It’s ok to celebrate Sengun and Jalen without regard to the false narratives negative people like you bring to the board.

16. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Facts do prove a point. Your interpretation seems to be off. I may have mixed you up with another poster for Green takes.

Either way, you have your opinion and I’ll have mine.

Merry Christmas

17. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Green is literally the definition of mediocre right now. I’m giving him a pass because of his upside.
    Literally every advanced metric has Sengun as one of the best rookies in the league.
    Your hate and bigotry can’t let you see past skin tone.
    And Green is neither a great shooter and definitely not a great passer……yet.
    He’s shown some flashes of shooting and a few nice passes.
    You hate on Sengun yet he has better shooting splits and passing percentages.

You’re a weird dude.

18. omgTHEpotential

Does the OP watch actual games? Or just boxscores.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  19. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

There are exceptions. I'm not saying trade the guy he will be another Dekker career-wise

I'm saying on paper it looks like rookies can play 200 straight games
    with no days off and be just fine......but games are not played on paper.

Clint Capela had endurance issues his initial first years

Merry Christmas to you as well, my brother

P.S. Ersan Ilyasova averaged 14.7 minutes per game his first NBA season.

#139 ApacheWarrior, Dec 25, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2021
    snowconeman22 likes this.
  20. DeBeards

DeBeards Member

then just face the music, it is what it is.

ApacheWarrior likes this.