1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Student Loan repayment delayed (again)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Bandwagoner, Dec 24, 2021.

1. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

ThatBoyNick likes this.
  2. ApolloRLB

ApolloRLB Member

Game theory question: If you did have the executive power to cancel some/all student debt, when would be the ideal time?

Obviously you can continue the interest moratorium as long as you want. So if you’re Biden, would you be better off cancelling the 10k/all debt just before the midterms? Would additional votes of those benefiting that otherwise wouldn’t have voted exceed the new votes of those that resent the action?

3. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

on one hand liberally available federally backed college loans go hand in hand with astronomical rises in tuition and COL in college towns.
    on the other, DOE should reduce interest rates and forgive interest over last two years.

or nuclear option forgive all loans and get out of the business.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  4. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

The best time is never because you can use it as a political tool for votes. Vote for us if you want money.

I don't think they can continue zero interest forever. These months still count towards months paid for those on forgiveness plans and they were pretty stern about the last delay being the final delay.

5. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If these lazy bums don’t pay back their loans
    Ban them from owning a cell phone and have internet access

Astrodome and Bandwagoner like this.
  6. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Works for me as long as anyone who has ever declared bankruptcy or defaulted on a debt is treated the same.

7. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

[​IMG]

What would Jesus have done

Give us a Christmas miracle

8. Major

Major Member

This is one thing government is really, really bad at - once you've stopped these payments, there's never going to be a "good time" to restart them. The job market is booming, wages are up, etc - but it's still not a good time. The same was true with the foreclosure pause, extended unemployment benefits, temporary tax cuts in 2008/9, etc. There always just needs to be a gradual re-introduction of normal. Instead of a pause or a restart, just do it slowly. For the next 3 months, people have to pay 25% of their normal payment, but interest remains paused. After that, 3 months 50%. Then 3 months of 75% and interest starts accruing again, and then full normalcy. This would let people adjust their lives/budgets back to normal instead of these "on/off" cliff type situations.

9. HTM

HTM Member

Like any large government benefit or entitlement, once given and established, it’s basically politically untenable to take it away.

Dems will suffer mightily for restarting student loan payments after 2+ years of respite and every time they kick the can down the road, such as here, the worse it will be, especially as we get closer to Nov 2022.

10. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Darn I should of not paid them off a few weeks ago. Oh well.

11. tinman

Supporting Member

Blacklist these kids from Coachella and EDC
    They’ll start working to pay back the loans
    And astrow… oops that ain’t happening anymore

Bandwagoner likes this.
  12. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

In the beginning, only the privleged were literate, which allowed them to control the masses through religion. The invention of the printing press allowed literacy rates go up dramatically, which brought in wealth generation. Soon it was established the wealthy were educated. Cost of education continued to dwindle, to the point where the state could burden basic education. Over the last 100 years, a minimum bar of education, provided by the state, was needed to perform moderate labor, leaving advanced education to the wealthy. The state recognized the need for more wide spread advanced education and agreed to burden the risk (through unforgivable debt ... aka debt slavery) . Anyone, regardless of aptitude, could take on this form of debt in exchange for an advance education. Over the last 50 years, the education system has fully taken advantage of this money making opportunity and has enslaved millions of people to this debt slavery.

The advent of the internet, and now lock downs, has lead people to finally accept the reality. Its time to unwind this unhealthy mega business model of debt slavery. Why are young adults paying 10's of thousands of dollars for zoom classes when there are many forms of free education that provide the same information, if not better.

So either the state pays for all advanced education (and lets be honest, most public schools are lacking) or we find a new way to certify people smart. We have established for a couple decades now the current model is seriously damaged.

Ubiquitin likes this.
  13. HTM

HTM Member

Reforming the entire education higher system would be the biggest legislative action in my lifetime. I've never seen anything anywhere near as consequential reformed before. I think it's second only to a shift to a single payer healthcare system in terms of scale of shift. I'll believe it when I see it.

Forgiving student loans by itself (which is all that the President can accomplish (maybe)) doesn't make much sense anyway. The debt just starts accruing again the next semester. Changing the system will take more then just old sleepy joes pens stroke and there's essentially no hope that happens in this climate or any climate we've been in the last 20 years or will be in the next 20 years.

14. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

You are all over the place.

What's your point should he cancel all of the debt or not what is your position?

15. tinman

Supporting Member

Block their access to fortnite
    Then they will take paying loans back seriously

Ubiquitin likes this.
  16. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think we are talking about different generations. Fortnite is middle and high schoolers I thought. Not college graduates. You know the Travis Scott type.

tinman likes this.
  17. tinman

Supporting Member

Don’t let them buy Yeezys or Nike shoes

Ubiquitin likes this.
  18. HTM

HTM Member

I don’t play video games bruh. I’m a grown ass man. I paid back my loans too.

19. HTM

HTM Member

Grown ass men still playing too many video games.

dmoneybangbang and tinman like this.
  20. tinman

Supporting Member

Then it doesn’t apply to you if you paid back your loans
    Also they should block call of duty war zone and madden