1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Movie] THE MATRIX 4 : Resurrections

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Jun 25, 2019.

1. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

You can't be into The Matrix and not at least accept/enjoy/appreciate some of the meta. I'm all for less meta in dumbass movies, but Matrix requires it. This was satisfying. Felt more satisfying than 3. It didn't have too many jump out of your chest moments in intensity, but I don't how much of that is due to the home vs. theater experience. Guess I'll have to finish the home theater and try again.

2. nacho bidness

nacho bidness Member

I watched

not the worst movie ever made but it just pales in comparison to the original by a lot

to sum it up

It's just really really corny

3. VanityHalfBlack

I’m not liking these new characters. I’m only 10 mins in. I’ll pass.

4. VanityHalfBlack

Why does every movie have to be 2 hour plus? Remember when movies used to be 90 mins?

5. Entropy

Entropy Member

This is exactly what I was hoping for. Lets be honest, they'll never top the original, but if it's just slightly below it's quality thats a huge win.

ROCKSS, clos4life and Squirtle like this.
  6. Squirtle

Squirtle Member

All glory to Christ. **** the haters.

ROCKSS likes this.
  7. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

I miss the dark, serious, cyberpunk tone of the original trilogy. I understand what Lana W. was going for but I’m just not feeling it. Too much Cloud Atlas for my liking.

VanityHalfBlack and tinman like this.
  8. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

Apparently the actors hardly rehearsed and from what I’ve watched it’s obvious.

VanityHalfBlack likes this.
  9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Not hearing much greatness in this show

Rocket River

VanityHalfBlack likes this.
  10. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Pretty sure he doesn't have a producer's credit on this film.

Ubiquitin likes this.
  11. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Only 30 minutes in, but this film is weighed down by its own self-reverence.

Ubiquitin and VanityHalfBlack like this.
  12. Xenon

Xenon Contributing Member

Saw it on HBO Max. I enjoyed it. Not as great as the 1st but definitely better than the forgettable 2 and 3. Those were awful.

13. Entropy

Entropy Member

I loved every second of this. The meta nature of the story was great. We finally got a true sequel to the original. The emotion, story, and the characters were A+.

Nook and clos4life like this.
  14. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I don't think it's bad...6.5

It's as reverential as the SW JJ Abrams reboot. Kind of needed because this touched on what the first promised 20 years later.

I would've liked this more if they didn't dumb down the action with 3 seconds or less zip cuts. It's like a different director handled it.

They should've dug out that wire fu guy from the original from cold storage and give people some prime rib compared to the ground beef we got. I get the actors are old and are slower than molasses but I would've cg'd their faces if it came to having a coherent fighting sequence like the original.

It would've been a true homage, and would've made me consider watching it in theatres.

Good enough for HBO Max.

15. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Post movie discussion
    Smith is way too overpowered in the first trilogy. Gotta wonder about his new goal but I think it's pure nihilism from his disappoinment with the machines. I mean he can take over any human and download his code so they'll have to give a good reason why he doesn't do that anymore.

Expected Trinity to be The One again. Director couldn't leave that untouched.

Took awhile to remember faces from Sens8

Interested in seeing reactions of shooting the zombies who sometimes acted like suicide bombers.

Bit ironic how wachowskis are hardcore fans of Sartre where suicide bombing or violent rebellion (V is for Vendetta) is the pinnacle of earning one's freedom but you see mindless idiots plunging to their deaths not knowing the impact they've done. That nighttime zombie trope was deliberate (and damn blurry).

You might then argue that "they're bots" but what about the sentient AIs who helped the humans? They're sentient because the good folk told us so... I mean Morpheus 2 considers himself sentient except his Daddy considered him and the sim world (inside a sim world...my head hurts Rick!) he created as "a joke", so the lines drawn for sentience/existence/conscience in terms of machines or "real people" are very murky here and in real life.

We know Morpheus "has consciousness" because he took the red pill despite Agent programming but the connection between him and his Creator doesn't feel real or warm. In fact, it's closer to what the audience has with him...a cheap copy of the original who serves as the Guide/Protector role for Neo rather than a new self individualized personality. Should've paid Larry Fishbourne and deep faked his face, dammit!

At first, I thought Smith zombified all the humans with his seed to attack them but apparently he controlled "the bots" instead like a good Hitler wannabe instead? I guess he makes up the Trinity but the philosophy vibes aren't as strong with this one.

This movie seems more of a rushed postmodern critique of the postmodern fatigue the US has been in for the last 30 years. It airs some frustration we all have thought of over the years but doesn't begin to resolve it other than the True Love path. Well for all those hopeless romantics... How would the outcome have been if Neo and Trinity were united all along and had fake kids along with their privileged elite Silicon Valley life? Would they have chosen the Red Pill then, or would they have looked the other way when homeless people started ******** on the floor of their favorite hipster coffee shop?

Cool toys to play with, what now?

#215 Invisible Fan, Dec 23, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2021
    OmegaSupreme likes this.
  16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I'm genuinely shocked to see that some people actually enjoyed this, but I'm happy for you guys.

17. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

Second best matrix movie. The meta commentary was fun. Enjoyed it overall.

clos4life and Entropy like this.
  18. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

First thing I thought of an hour into the movie was Wes Craven's New Nightmare and a quick Google search shows that I wasn't alone in that sentiment. It's literally the same thing.

Resurrections was a good flick and I don't think there's a question that it's worth seeing if you've seen the others, but as far as it being as re-watchable as those... imo it's not. Seemed more spin-off-ish than a sequel, but maybe keeping the green filter would have made it feel more in tune with the trilogy.

19. Entropy

Entropy Member

I watched Reloaded and Revolutions in theaters once, then never had a single ounce of desire to ever watch them again. Resurrections I'll be rewatching plenty of times alongside the original.

OmegaSupreme, Sajan and clos4life like this.
  20. clos4life

clos4life Member

I would rewatch resurrections. I've watched the original many times. I've even watched 2/3 a couple times but didn't enjoy it.

OmegaSupreme and Entropy like this.