1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Christian Wood expected to get "significant trade interest"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Nov 29, 2021.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

Seems like a lot of mouths to feed and LaVine(expiring after this year), Wood(FA after 2022-23) & Vucevic(FA after 2022-23; though will be 33 by then) will need to be paid.

Jerry Reinsdorf gonna pay?

Me thinks they’d try to send Derrick Jones & Troy Brown Jr. (Both expiring)

…if they’re even interested to begin with.

saleem, D-rock and jch1911 like this.
  2. sydmill

sydmill Member

You add a Keegan Murray to that group and find minutes for Garrison Mathews, Armoni Brooks and an additional shooter or two and you're cooking.

3. sydmill

sydmill Member

Obviously the Rockets arent trading Wood for expiring contracts so if that is their offer then they arent being serious. The Bulls time is now. They need size for the playoffs. Maybe they arent interested in Wood, but I dont see them getting Sabonis or Turner for less than Williams+ either. In my proposed deal the addition was White whose been supplanted by Caruso and will probably be behind Donsumo by the end of the season.

4. backwardhead

backwardhead Member

I don't know anything about Chicago's team so I'll ask you. Is there a scenario where a trade of CWood with JWall would be worth their expirings? I'll take a bunch of expirings to get JW off the books

5. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Wall needs to be dealt at next year's deadline...as an expiring.

saleem, D-rock, Phillyrocket and 2 others like this.
  6. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

You don’t want to take back a lot of bad contracts. At that point might as well jsut buy him out

theDude, sydmill and dmoneybangbang like this.
  7. Milos

Milos Member

Doesn't this trade create the exact same Center logjam for CHI which we are currently trying to work out?

Wood & Sengun are both best at the 5
    Same for Vucevic

How does trading 2 young, cheap, talents on the upswing for a bad fit at PF improve their chances to win?

Wood excels at scoring and rebounding as a focal point ... of which Bulls already have plenty

He has not shown any propensity to be a glue-guy, dirty work, whatever it takes type of team-first player which would theoretically push the Bulls over the top into contention
    ... And they may have to approach a 4th $25M+ AAV extension on the roster just to make him more than an 18mo rental

Williams seems willing and able to fold his game into whatever is needed alongside his star teammates, and still has a lot of upside, unlike the leaked out CWood

And then on top of that they throw in their 6th man for nothing?

We would essentially be approaching the Bulls with "want to trade us your 2 solutions for our problem" .... Maybe not in raw talent, but certainly in fit for team building

Collecting 5 'stars' and assuming greatness is the type of short-sighted move that derails contenders more often than completes them

If any team is stupid enough to do so, CHI is among the contenders, but Wood is not the final piece for this team ...
    Now the Warriors ...

saleem, jcmoon, theDude and 3 others like this.
  8. sydmill

sydmill Member

Fair points. I guess I see a Wood/Vucevic pairing working due to the fact that both guys can shoot well from distance. And Wood could play the 5 for the 15 to 20 mpg that Vucevic sits. Definitely agree that Williams fits the Rockets better than Wood fits Chicago but I think Chicago is at the point where a healthy, but ill fitting Wood is better than a better fitting but currently injured Williams.

What do you think GSW gives up for Wood?

joshuaao and Milos like this.
  9. Milos

Milos Member

If I'm Stone, I would take Kuminga, Moody and 1 FFRP, ideally in 2024 when Dubs core will be ancient

Grizzlyshark likes this.
  10. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

While that pipe dream would be incredible, i don’t believe in miracles

harold bingo, saleem, xaos and 2 others like this.
  11. Milos

Milos Member

Last year ORL traded 2* AllStar Vucevic
    He was 4 years older, making approximately double Wood's current deal
    Not an exact comp on players, but both are 20/10 Centers on teams still in the infancy of a total rebuild

Magic received essentially 3 FRPs, including 2 guaranteed lotto picks:
    - 2018 top-10 Wendell Carter Jr
    - 2021 top-10 Franz Wagner
    - 2023 FRP

I'd rather have Kuminga & Moody than those 2, but all 4 picks fell between 7-14, so still back-half lotto

Pretty similar compensation for pretty similar players

However ....

The MAJOR difference is that GS runs arguably the smartest operation in all of the big 3 leagues

They are notoriously shrewd and patient, and rarely make big changes midseason

They are also the frontrunner in the West IMO, so the urgency does not exist for a big shakeup at the moment

CHI is on the opposite end of the spectrum as the perpetual rebuilding post-Jordan enters a third decade
    They are also desperately in win-now mode, adding DeRozan, Vuc & Ball to Lavine

If they decided they needed to upgrade C because Wiseman isn't progressing and Looney's not starting caliber for playoffs ...

Wood may be the best C on the market, and his strengths fit into what GS needs - shoot 3s, finish lobs, rebound

But he does not seem like he fits the 'culture' they have carefully crafted of individual sacrifice for team success
    He often appears to play for his stats with little to no regard for his teammates

I would actually take Wiseman in place of either wing rookie, but several other posters on here have soured me on him

backwardhead likes this.
  12. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Maybe, but it needs to fit some specific need for us, too. Any team attracted to Wall as an expiring contract is trying to make a salary dump. They will be trading their long-term contracts for Wall. For me, that needs to be a player 26 or younger. Preferably a wing. Some teams really need to implode between now and then for such a player to become available, but it could happen.

At the end of next season, you potentially have $85m coming off the books. I wouldn’t want to mess with that for some salary filler that net you an extra pick or two. But maybe the Rockets want to delay their free agency windfall for a year or two.

Plowman and saleem like this.
  13. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Kuminga isn't going anywhere in my opinion after his Toronto game breakout.

Milos likes this.
  14. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Toronto once got kawhi for literally negative value (at the time derozen was a massive negative value). Warriors aren’t morons so no, they’re not giving you that absurd deal for wood.

15. sydmill

sydmill Member

End of the day, I think the Rockets need to move Wood and I am hoping that when they do they receive a mix of draft assets and a young 4 that can fit in next to Sengun. Someone that can defend in the post and on the perimeter who can focus on rebounding and is able to hit an open jump shot. A guy like Patrick Williams or Jonathan Kuminga. If they can pull off such a move I think that opens the team up to look at BPA in the draft whereas I think they have to go with a 4 with their first pick otherwise (though, tbh, that is likely the BPA given the prospect presumed to be coming out this year).

Milos and jcmoon like this.
  16. jcmoon

jcmoon Contributing Member

i'd be shoked if we get anything more than a good young player and a first. That's the most i'd give up for wood. He has to play the four on a real team since he can't guard no big man on the other end. We were doomed from the start having eric gordon try to box out vucevic since wood can't, although he did a decent job. if we were really trying to win, daniel theis should have guarded vucevic. But i think we're more concerned about keeping wood's numbers up so that he looks good when we trade him.

backwardhead likes this.
  17. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

BasketballNews.com
    @basketbllnews
    ·
    22h
    With the Rockets reportedly willing to listen to Christian Wood trade offers, where would he fit best?

@NekiasNBA
    thinks the Warriors would be one ideal destination:

Milos likes this.
  18. sydmill

sydmill Member

I just question whether GSW are even in the market for a trade. They have the best record in the NBA and are expecting to get Klay Thompson back for the second half. Why f*** with a good thing? Their roster is obviously set up to win now and with Wiggins, Wiseman, Poole, Kuminga and Moody all 26 andn under they have a brighter future than most teams too. If they are in fact interested then I think the conversation starts with Kuminga and a first (2025 and beyond) along with fillers. I definitely do not see them offering Kuminga, Moody/Wiseman and a pick or picks.

Milos, Sweet Lou 4 2 and jcmoon like this.
  19. RoadWarrior

RoadWarrior Member

I doubt the Rockets trade Wood before the deadline.
    If they do, they will start Theis for the rest of the season.

20. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Personally, Id deal Wood straight up for Kuminga, Pat Williams or even Moody and walk away satisfied.

Grizzlyshark and jcmoon like this.