1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mark Berman: Astros offering Carlos Correa a 5 year/160 million dollar contract

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by DaBeard, Nov 6, 2021.

1. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I would agree. I would not pencil in Peña to be an automatic force at least next year. More likely closer to 2023-2024.

HTown2017Champs likes this.
  2. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

3. dkoune

dkoune Rookie

They were dragging his name in the dirt for the last two years! cool let him go be a Cubbie Cuck!

4. HTown2017Champs

Don't forget, Cubs fans were and still are some of the most ruthless against us (aside from NYY and LAD, obviously). Don't forget that Brendan "Astros Shame Tour" Donley is a Cubs fan. F that team and fanbase, now and forever.

5. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I don't base my total
    opinion on war and what makes you think it will not be overpaying for past production?

6. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Because he’s in his 20’s… just 3 years older than everybody’s favorite replacement SS in Peña.

Either you think last year, his overall defense, his leadership, his playoff performances, and his overall abilities are worth it… or they’re not. He’s a core/integral part of this era… this clubhouse. The team likely doesn’t make the World Series this year without his year-long consistency, defense, and ability to actually lead on the field.

At this point, no player will be deemed “worth it” for a big contract based on the current pay structure. Every big money player is going to be injury prone at some point.

The Astros just paid $66 million for a pitcher to pitch 1 game… and will be paying him an additional $50 million at age 40 for post elbow reconstructive performance. Why? Because this team is built to win now and at least for the next 3 years, and Crane is going to optimize the **** out of it and wants Correa for those years at the highest per year deal in Astros history.

Kim and everyday eddie like this.
  7. jayfree

jayfree Member

Those who use WAR as a way of figuring out who's an MVP or not are newbie fanboys that only watch the Game Day versions.

8. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Whatever team signs him get ready for Correa to sit out 20-30 games with a back injury. I put 50/50 odds on that.

9. CinematicFusion

Carlos turned 8 year contract down from Tigers.
    33.7 per season.

Looks like Correa wants 10 years 350 or will wait it out

PiPdAdY33 likes this.
  10. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

I love Correa and everything he brings to the team in terms of defense, hitting, charisma and leadership. I also think there's a high probability of his career following a Ken Griffey Jr career arc where injuries totally derail his production by his early 30's -- maybe even earlier given his history of back injuries. A 10 year contract term is a massive risk that in my opinion, is not worth taking.

jim1961, PiPdAdY33 and studogg like this.
  11. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I think Carlos has earned a 10yr $325+ mil contract

If MLB players were paid based on results how much would he have made the past 7 years?

More than the $27 mil that he has.

How much has he made Jim Crane?

MLB takes a players early years at a severe discount then when it's time to get paid tells them they won't be as good in future because they get old so aren't worth a big contract.

Correa has earned it

That said as a fan I would rather they spend that money on the new generation that will keep the team contenders

For what Correa wants over 10 years the team can extend Tucker, Alvarez, Framber, and Urquidy or Luis Garcia for 6- 7 years.

12. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

LOL, if you think can extend all of them for what we pay Correa, you're crazy. Tucker will get close to Springer money especially since he's young. Alvarez will get in close to 20 a year or more especially if last is as I suspect a down season for him. The pitchers will all get Odorizzi money as the bottom, and if Framber gets his command back, he will get some serious money. If Garcia can maintain the 2 mph he got after his tweak during the playoffs, he will also command a lot of money. There is no way to maintain this team past 2025. Everyone will get paid and we can't afford even half of them.

We would need to get lucky in the farm system like we have been the last decade except we don't have any elite prospects like Correa, Bregman, and Tucker who were all top 5 types when drafted. Even when you have elite prospects, you the chances of them panning out are 50/50. Whitley, Appel, etc

Bregatron likes this.
  13. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

You have to realize that each of those guys have 4 or more years before free agency.

Contracts similar to Bregmans should secure Tucker and Alvarez ( Tucker slightly more than Alvarez)

The pitchers will be much more affordable if signed now

everyday eddie likes this.
  14. jayfree

jayfree Member

TBH, I'm not sold on Bregman being the clutch player in the playoffs like Correa has been (and that's why you pay Correa). He's been injured but he's been in every post season ready to play. I would sign Correa and trade Bregman for prospects if I could, but that would never happen.

I think the Astros are hoping they continue to put up numbers without Correa (like they did this year without Springer), and I think Correa is ready to move on from the scandal and cash in. If he was offered $275 mil from the Tigers then he may think $300+ mil is not far off with a better team.

I want Correa to stay but if he leaves I think nobody wins (Correa or the Astros) other than the Astros save money while Correa's bank explodes.No way Correa wins a title with a team like Detroit and the Astros will miss his production and leadership when we need it in the post season.

Kim and everyday eddie like this.
  15. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I think, more and more, the Astros ownership and front office realize that they don't need to pay for the BEST team.

In 2019 they had the best team l. In fact, one of the best ( statistically) in history.

In 2021 they had a far superior team ( on paper and recent performance) to the Braves.

It comes down to health and luck.

Spend enough to be as sure as possible to make the playoffs then hope.

And the best shot includes having as many bullets ( above average players) instead of one big one ( a super star).

This isn't the NBA.

16. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

In 2025, we Bregman and Altuve are up. Who are we going to sign? In 2026, who are we going to sign? We aren't keeping everyone or most everyone because of Correa because we are going to have to pay someone to replace him. If Pena is that good, we can trade him for something now or keep him until Bregman is up. Correa is more important than Bregman because of the position he plays.

17. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

The MVP in baseball is usually simply the best player, not the one that contributed to the most wins. The Angels have had more MVP’s than they’ve had playoff wins and division championships combined over the last 10 years.

The Astros are in the business of wins… and paying players who contribute most towards that in a window where they’re expected to compete for World Series.

Those worried about what happens 10 years from now are the real newbies who can’t appreciate the present and the opportunity this team has to appear in more World Series and ultimately win one or two more.

18. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Exactly… which is why they’re willing to pay for Correa now, pay for Verlander now, and do everything possible to WIN NOW.

19. jim1961

jim1961 Member

That report smells like all smoke to me. What if the Tigers made the offer knowing Correa would decline it in order to drive up his price? A Hinch Correa wink wink?

Anyway, I could care less what other teams allegedly offer. We do a deal that is what he is worth to us. No more, no less. Period.

RustyHarden likes this.
  20. CinematicFusion

I think we have. 5/6 year deal

jim1961 likes this.