1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Windhorst - Dec 2021] PHI, HOU, SAC, MIN discussing Ben Simmons deal

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by joshuaao, Dec 17, 2021.

1. withmustard

withmustard Member
    Supporting Member

Tate was never part of the conversation? This started with a hypothetical T-Wolves starting 5. If your point is spacing, then I'm even more confused because Towns, Edwards and Russell are all solid shooters. This was just a hypothetical, but your original post insinuated that Barnes and Simmons couldn't co -exist?

2. sirjesse

sirjesse The Udoker has spoken!
    Supporting Member

Four way discussions continue. Morey playing rockets against kings for who will take on 50 million in salary for a 2048 2nd round pick.

D-rock likes this.
  3. D-rock

D-rock Member

Their games are too similar.

Tate is a tiny less skilled version of both of them as well.

Why is this hard to comprehend?

hakeem94 likes this.
  4. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

People who are not fans of Simmons and dont want him on the team aren't looking at the big picture. IMO, Simmons wants to be great. You put him at starting PF of this team and he becomes great. It really is just that simple. You get the best of both worlds. You get a plus defender/shot blocker next to Wood/Sengun. Plus you get another good post player with good passing skills. The team can only get better with the addition.

5. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

i was anti simmons initillaly cause of no shooting and cancer potential, but witnessing all the silas sabotage i guess it cant be worse that that...better to play simmons than thesis or nwaba

coachbadlee likes this.
  6. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

To make a trade work, it's going to have to involve either Wall or some combination of EGo, Augustin and Wood. In two years, when all of those contracts expire, having Simmons on the team will not hinder our ability to either re-sign Wood or offer a max contract to another player. And Simmons' contract will expire before we have to make a decision on Green, Sengun, Christopher, etc. So, while there are concerns about Simmons, salary is not something anyone should be worried about.

ArtV and Ankara1923 like this.
  7. IvanLCPM

IvanLCPM Member

To me, the team getting better with Simmons isn’t looking at the big picture at all. We may get better for now, but what realistically is our ceiling with this core + Simmons? Also, singing him hinders our flexibility cap wise and, as others said, it also hinders our flexibility in lineups/signings, he’s pretty much like Westbrook in that sense. It’s super hard to find a team that fits him, I would much rather stay flexible, develop our core and pick high the next 2 drafts.

jayhow92 and hakeem94 like this.
  8. mightybosstone

I like Simmons' jack of all trades' game, but I just don't see how adding him won't result in exactly the same issues with spacing offensively that Philly has dealt with the last few seasons, especially in the playoffs.

Playing him at the 4 sounds great, but in today's NBA, any position you play him at will make him a liability on offense because of his lack of a jumper unless he's surrounded by four shooters.

And that's before you consider his contract, his piss-poor attitude and the pathetic way he's forced himself out of Philly. So if Houston is involved in a Simmons deal, I truly hope it's just as a facilitator to move Gordon, Wood or (by some miracle) Wall.

9. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I’ve been trying to figure out how those 4 teams could come to a deal that would satisfy everybody. All I could come up with was to take SAC out of the deal. So it would look something like this:

76ers - Wood, Russell
    Hou- Niang, Prince, 2022 min frp, 2024 min frp, 2026 frp
    Min - Simmons

peleincubus and hakeem94 like this.
  10. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Yeah Simmons’ attitude and lack of work ethic isn’t gonna fly here for me. We already built around a Diva once.

hakeem94 likes this.
  11. bmelo

bmelo Member

Morey still thinks he finnesin people lol **** off fatman you got what you deserve

REEKO_HTOWN, Dobbizzle and hakeem94 like this.
  12. hakeemthagreat

Ben Simmons is a bonafide CRYBABY with horrible work ethic. You're basketball IQ isn't very high

REEKO_HTOWN and peleincubus like this.
  13. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That looks like a reasonable trade, but I wonder if it will be enough for Morey. You would think that pressure has to be mounting to make a move with the team at .500 and in 9th place when they were in 1st last year. He made the threat that he would drag it out for 4 years, but I would be surprised if it goes past this trade deadline.

hakeem94 likes this.
  14. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

We can easily predict it. We won 65 games and every year at the deadline we traded first round picks to save salary cap. You know how this is gonna play out. He wouldn't pay when we had Harden and CP3. What makes you think he will ever pay?

15. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

*Your. "You're" means "you are." Maybe don't criticise other people's IQ if you spell like a 6 year old child.

16. Bo6

Bo6 Member

Wall would actually be a good for philly.

I could see something like Ego + wall + rando nets pick. Maybe we get back hield and something from the Kings.

Phily could go for a run with a Wall/Gordon/Harris/Thybulle/Embiied lineup with scorers Curry/Maxey off the bench.

Dobbizzle and D-rock like this.
  17. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Idk hoe Simmons plays at all going forward unless it’s at PF/C. He cannot be a perimeter player anymore

18. Landsdale

Landsdale Member

No way we get 3 fr picks for Wood

Dobbizzle and Der Rabbi like this.
  19. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Not that I'm advocating a trade purely for draft picks, but the Magic got two picks for Vucevic, and Wood is younger than Vucevic.

20. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I doubt it as well, but I don’t trade Wood for 2. I don’t think the Rockets want to trade Wood, but would for 3 frp.

Landsdale likes this.