1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Windhorst - Dec 2021] PHI, HOU, SAC, MIN discussing Ben Simmons deal

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by joshuaao, Dec 17, 2021.

1. Rocket Guy

Rocket Guy Member

Just my pipedream:

Simmons/Tobias for Wall/Wood/Gordon. Im sure picks would need to be involved as well.

Simmons
    Green
    KPJ
    Harris
    Sengun

Bench: Tate/Martin/Matthews/Theis/Brooks

To me thats a young fun team to watch that would be better defensively. You can always flip Tobias for a true 5 as it would probably be a little easier to move than Wall, which would slide Sengun to 4.

Philly would really benefit from the depth as well, while not wasting a healthy Embiid prime year.

Wall
    Curry
    Green
    Wood
    Embiid

Bench: Maxey/Gordon/Niang/Milton/Thybulle/Drummond

hakeem94 and xtruroyaltyx like this.
  2. sirjesse

sirjesse The Udoker has spoken!
    Supporting Member

Joey chestnut

upload_2021-12-17_19-50-27.jpeg

DeBeards likes this.
  3. sirjesse

sirjesse The Udoker has spoken!
    Supporting Member

Is that Danny Ainge or Michael Dukakis running for President?

upload_2021-12-17_19-51-51.jpeg

4. D-rock

D-rock Member

Simmons AND Barnes???

In same starting 5?

hakeem94 likes this.
  5. VivaChelseaFC

VivaChelseaFC Member

Of course its Rockets legend Joshua "Four Sandwiches" Smith...
    [​IMG]

6. Jontro

Jontro Member

oh shiii... we finna get salmons!

@hakeem94 is celebration time breh!

hakeem94 likes this.
  7. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

[​IMG]

Jontro likes this.
  8. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

how much years tobias has left on his deal?

9. clos4life

clos4life Member

Morey always tried for deals but GMs were scared of dealing with him. Ainge was always over valuing his guys and was not willing to ever part with any significant players. Different reasons and styles.

D-rock likes this.
  10. razorback88s

razorback88s Member

All 4 teams involve Darryl Morey protegés, so there may be a chance that they trust each other enough to pull it off. They probably at least have similar Intel/philosophies about the value of each player involved

D-rock, clos4life and jch1911 like this.
  11. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

All I can imagine is Morey trying to move Tobias's contract for Green, Sengun, and Gordon.

peleincubus and pippendagimp like this.
  12. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I can not freaking wait until I never have to read another trade proposal about a player that can’t shoot in the year of almost 2022 in the modern nba on a max contract coming to ruin what the rockets are trying to do. Good riddance to every single damn one of them.

astrosrule, s3ts and Pat like this.
  13. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Ditto.

Pat likes this.
  14. Rocket Guy

Rocket Guy Member

Why are people so locked in on if a single player can shoot 3's or not? It's easy to just throw out what every lame debate show does...."He can't shoot". Its more than just him shooting the ball, it is everything he brings to a team. For example, I will take the teams offensive rating from the season before Simmons played up until this season:

2017-30th (No Simmons)
    2018-12th
    2019-8th
    2020-13th
    2021-13th
    This Season-19th (No Simmons)

Then people say he messes up the flow of the offense if he can't shoot. Last year the Sixers were 11th in pace...so far this season...dead last at 30th. Simmons is a fast break player and we have young athletic players that would compliment that extremely well. Offense is his weak side of the ball. Lets look at the defensive rating during the same time frame:

2017-17th (No Simmons)
    2018-4th
    2019-15th
    2020-8th
    2021-2nd
    This Season-20th (No Simmons)

Again, when Simmons did not play the Sixers were in the bottom half of the league in defensive rating, and when he did play they were in the top half and even getting as high as 2nd last season.

When Simmons plays since 2017, the Sixers are 178-97, which is a .647 winning percentage. When he does not play they are 17-17 and a .500 team, which is the same for this season...15-15. Bottom line is he adds wins and is a year younger than Tate, so it is not like you are adding an old guy like Wall/Russ. He would be here a while.

I say all that to say this...our alternative right now is KPJ as our main creator, whether you like eFG or TS% is 53% and 56% to Simmons 53% and 57%. So essentially they are a wash overall. So at the end of the day my belief is our young guys need a better playmaker to put them in the best position to improve their games on both sides of the ball. I believe Simmons gives us a better chance at their development than the status quo.

15. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I don't think Sac is or should be so attached to Fox. He hasn't progressed in his defense or playmaking. I see him as a 6th man bench scorer. Kings give up 99 points per 100 possessions when Fox isn't playing; they give up 118 points per 100 possessions when he is playing.

16. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I'm still a fan of Simmons's game with the the understanding that he is not a superstar player and under those expectations. But his head ain't there, he's paid like a superstar, and he wants to he treated like a superstar. Just say no.

No Worries likes this.
  17. Juxtaposed Jolt

Can't speak to others' opinions, but I don't like Simmons' contract. He's a great NBA player but his contract significantly handicaps team building. If Simmons was on Christian Wood's deal (3yr/41M), a Jerami Grant deal (3yr/60M) or a Draymond Green deal (4yr/100M), Simmons would easily be one of the most valuable...values in the league.

But with such a large amount of money tied up in one player, it's hard to entice other good players to come. And because Simmons is such a zero on shooting, defenses can work harder to lock down one of your other 4 guys who can actually score from outside.

tl;dr? Some don't like Simmons because he can't shoot. Some don't like him because he seemingly won't learn how to shoot. Some don't like Simmons because of his contract. And some don't like Simmons because of a combo of 2 (or all 3) of the 3.

18. Rocket Guy

Rocket Guy Member

I respect that.

xaos and D-rock like this.
  19. D-rock

D-rock Member

THIS^^^

So many fans just do not understand the game.

Rocket Guy and JayGoogle like this.
  20. D-rock

D-rock Member

The best FA's are not coming to the Rockets.

In 2023 or 2024.

So why worry about the money?

If this team jettisons Wood and EGo, it may not win another game for YEARS while developing our young players.

Shoupd that happen get ready to pay another Ryan Anderson type player when Wall comes off the books because no legit All Star wants to play on rebuilding black hole.

Rocket Guy and vjohnson like this.