1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

John Lucas on Alperen Sengun

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ashleyem, Dec 16, 2021.

1. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

Coaches are supposed to critique players, the **** is wrong with you people? I swear at least half of this forum has no idea at all about how sports work. Imagine b****ing about a coach saying a rookie has a long way to go on d when that rookie usually averages a foul every 3 minutes? Sengun is a great player, unlike y'all b**** ass hoes, he probably values the feedback.

2. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I bet Silas was pissed that Lucas left him in so long.

3. TimDuncanDonaut

To me 'long ways to go' doesn't mean putting someone under the bus. It means just that there's room for growth. Nothing wrong with the coaching staff have high standards and hope the the players will reach.

For things like minutes and other players also still developing, I don't disagree with the evaluation per se, but reporters didn't ask those questions, so Lucas didn't comment on them.

There are coaching approaches that maybe the fans see different. (myself included). And yes I personally would like to see Al-p get more minutes. I believe it will come.

---
    Gentle reminder that things that we do like about Sengun, the coaches did help foster. Sengun in the high post making reads and setting his teammates up or scoring. That's not an accident.

A) Sengun is good at it.
    B) Coaches recognized it too and have plays run through him.

---
    Lucas comment was not that bad. And second, Cavs handed us a blow out loss. Yes there are reasons, but in a blowout, any players who played is not above constructive criticism. It's better to be encouraged and challenged than coddled.
    ---
    This is coming from someone who has liked Sengun and will continue to support him.

4. crenshaw

crenshaw Member

I guess theyd rather baby these supposed professionals and handle grown players with kid gloves. If players get hurt by the truth and throw tantrums instead of responding positively, then basketball will be the least of their problems.

5. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

He doesnt say there's room for growth. Long way to go and room for growth are two different things. Long way to go is usually used as a negative and room for growth means you're there but you can be better. Lets not change his words he said what he said.

aaquaa and Ankara1923 like this.
  6. bj3175

bj3175 Member

That's Lucas he once said David Robinson didn't know how to play center until he coached him. That's the old school way. Last week he was chastising Giannis after the Bucks game. Thats his way trust me he Loves Sengun

majicdonjuan, aaquaa, Nook and 2 others like this.
  7. TimDuncanDonaut

Joe, even if you and I think Sengun might be a bit better than what Lucas think, doesn't mean he's an a-hole.

I don't have Sengun's defensive numbers in front of me; alykhan bikani covered it recently. It's something like it's decent (not terrible / but not elite).

The coaches likely know what defensive sets were supposed to run and how well the the team actually executed. Team-wise, we gave up 69 points at half. Not every game can be the Hawks miracle comeback.

89-124 loss, everyone can be better.

8. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Lucas is doing it right. He knows Sengun can be great...

9. 18pbr

18pbr Member

Welcome to Lucas University. Lucas is hard on everyone. Espn had an article about Lucas last month and pointed how the Rockets organization will tell Lucas that he is being too hard on Green sometimes, and he replied he is not hard enough on him. He said its not his job to kiss his ass but to put his foot in it lol I am sure that his approach with all the young players.

At first, when I read the post-game comments from Lucas regarding Sengun, I felt some type of way about it. But seeing it in full context its not a big deal. I disagree about him having ways to go defensively but that's my opinion. Its funny because I have seen a lot of people criticize Silas for being too nice, and now we are upset because we have a Coach that is being too hard. Let's all take a deep breath and enjoy Sengun's impressive game.

majicdonjuan, Deckard, aaquaa and 2 others like this.
  10. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Sounds like something Popovich would say

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

Certain fans upset when you say Green’s been awful
    Certain fans upset when the coach says he has a long way to go

Y’all soft
    [​IMG]

Hopefully the players themselves have thicker skin.

Not their fee-fees! Gonna hurt their fee-fees!

#31 J.R., Dec 16, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2021
    majicdonjuan, Deckard, Nook and 6 others like this.
  12. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

Okay I apologize. I only saw the tweet and didn’t read the full context. I am sorry, Mr Lucas.

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

14. juanming

juanming Member

If sengun was black....

/Thread

hakeem94 likes this.
  15. plegus

plegus Member

This tweet is all about cherrypicking comments out of context. Thank you for the full transcript.

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  16. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

external-content.duckduckgo.png

majicdonjuan, Deckard, aaquaa and 7 others like this.
  17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Correct.

Long ways to go - that is just a standard saying for things to come.

The mob will interpret it the way it wants.

TimDuncanDonaut and Dobbizzle like this.
  18. Tato1971

Tato1971 Member

Come on pal!
    The only thing that Lucas is doing is managing the expectations so that the fans understand that the processes of adaptation to the NBA are long and difficult, and do not destroy the boy before the first bad performance.
    Calm down a bit!

19. Chasing_Chase

Chasing_Chase Member

The fact that some people didn’t particularly like the wording is proof that he said something that was kind of strange after sengun had a strong performance. That being said, I HIGHLY doubt Sengun was offended and like y’all are saying, maybe he prefers this type of coaching.

majicdonjuan, aaquaa and Joe Rocket like this.
  20. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Sengun can't speak English. Of course he wasn't offended. :cool:

aaquaa, Nook and Chasing_Chase like this.