1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

F1 Racing Discussion

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by KingCheetah, Jul 5, 2020.

1. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm not sure this is the reason. This was the first in-person F1 event in two years at COTA and was, by far, the most-attended F1 weekend ever. I don't think COTA planned for that after years of declining interest (before Drive to Survive took off in the US) and that was apparent in the staffing.

texanskan likes this.
  2. PhiSlammaJamma

Thought this was interesting and almost ridiculous read, big race on Sunday.

"There is some precedent for this kind of decision. Michael Schumacher was disqualified from the 1997 championship after driving into Jacques Villeneuve at the final race, in an attempt to take both out of the race. The incident backfired for Schumacher, as he retired from the race and Villeneuve finished with the points he needed to win the title.

Schumacher won the 1994 championship after colliding with Damon Hill at that year's final race, but that controversial incident passed without a penalty or punishment.

Ayrton Senna also won in 1990 by driving Alain Prost off the road at that year's Japanese Grand Prix. Senna later admitted he planned to drive into Prost if he got ahead of him on the run from the grid to Turn 1, which is how the situation played out, but he also escaped without penalty."

3. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

oh lord what an epic fkin end to the race, super happy for Max.

Slyonebluejay likes this.
  4. PhiSlammaJamma

Whoa, contraversie. We have drama. But what a finish!

5. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

They are going to celebrate here.

Yung-T likes this.
  6. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

Everyone is mad but there's absolutely no way some lapped cars can decide a title fight in the way Lewis fans wanted it to. Unlucky safety cars happen to everyone

7. Gakatron

Gakatron Contributing Member

Mercedes benefited more than RBR with inconsistent calls in the back half of the year. The big one goes against them but it's poor listening to their whining when if there had been consistency on calls through the season Max likely would have already been champ entering the race.

8. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

True, furthermore Hamilton caught some lucky breaks over the year. So in general Verstappen does deserve it (although yesterday he got lucky).

I am happy. As a Dutchmen it is always great to see a Dutchmen succeed. That being said As a person I have more respect for Hamilton than for Max. Max's seems more arrogant (which is not unusual for a Dutchmen that is excellent in his sport), and I respect Hamilton with his comments on social justice issues. That being said I dispise Toto Wolf. He is such a sore loser, and during the year he was just a bad personality. So I love seeing him lose, and react badly to it. Just love this video:

9. Slyonebluejay

Slyonebluejay Member
    Supporting Member

Seems like Mercedes and Lewis Hamilton have been doing a lot of whinning since Sunday. Glad they withdrew the appeal. Definitely coming off as sore losers.

10. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

I don't think so. They are whining and complaining about FIA and Masi. Not Max. They've congratulated Max, they don't mind Max. It's Masi and his rules application that they have an issue with. I don't blame them. If the shoe were on the other foot do you not think Horner et al would be complaining?
    And like Arno wrote about Max, personality wise, Max would do a ton of complaining unlike Lewis. Maybe that's just age and lack of PR savvy but more likely it's Max's personality and that's how he is.

Yung-T and Slyonebluejay like this.
  11. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

The hype for this Miami GP is off the charts -- COTA does not get the same treatment.

12. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Sainz with his first pole. Man I like qualifying as much as I do race day.

13. KingCheetah

One of the best races I've seen in a long time.

14. KingCheetah

15. Slyonebluejay

Slyonebluejay Member
    Supporting Member

Glad he was okay. It worried me when they wouldn't show what was happening live

Yung-T and KingCheetah like this.
  16. KingCheetah

Alonso in the zone today.

17. PhiSlammaJamma

So many leagues should copy the incredible pre-race production. You feel like you are one of the drivers on the grid. The camera work is phenomenal. They take a boring Grid prep and turn it into a high paced, chaotic, and dynamic event. The graphics are top notch. And the pre-race trailer kicked ass. They got it down. Seriously. You feel like you are part of it.

18. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

Hamilton to replace Sainz at Ferrari in 2025.

Jontro likes this.
  19. Umut

Umut Member

Wow

Jontro likes this.
  20. Jontro

Jontro Member

as a ferrari fan, should i jump ship or naw?