1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets 2025 Draft

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SamFisher, Dec 10, 2021.

1. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Thinking of doing a PhD thesis on this upcoming draft possibility:

2025 - 1-10 Own or swap for BRK; 11-30 Own or swap for BRK if HOU 11-30 is less favorable than LAC; or more favorable of (i) BRK and (ii) less favorable of HOU 11-30 and OKC then other to BRK; and more favorable of HOU 11-30 and OKC to OKC if HOU 11-30 is more favorable than LAC (via OKC swap for HOU 11-30 or LAC; via HOU swap of HOU or OKC for BRK)​

Jontro, xaos and dmoneybangbang like this.
  2. Tuckankhamun

Tuckankhamun Member

is this the draft LeBron's kid will be in?

3. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Lebron's Kid ain't Lebron. Sorry

RasaqBoi likes this.
  4. Sen89

Sen89 Member

The real question is whether Garrison Mathews' son is in this draft

Jontro, Patience, crose and 6 others like this.
  5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Didn't he get into E-Sports, or is that another son?

6. dmoneybangbang

Quantum mechanics is weird. Best of luck to you and your thesis.

Jontro likes this.
  7. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

One thing is for sure. 2025 BKN’ pick should be golden.

RasaqBoi likes this.
  8. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

for real. His dad Maloney, Matthew’s paved the way for him.

9. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

I can see his son demanding a trade by whoever he’s drafted by. Lebron will make sure his son is in La or NY

10. HI Mana

HI Mana Member

It really isn't that complex, just worded confusingly.

1. If the Rockets are in the top 10, then their pick is protected.

2. If the Rockets are outside the top 10 and are the worst team out of the Thunder, Clippers, and Rockets, they swap for the Thunder's pick. Otherwise they keep their own pick.

3. No matter if they have their own pick or the Thunder's, they have the option to swap that pick for Brooklyn's.

You could construct some pretty weird scenarios with this chain however. Imagine if the four teams finished the year in the following lottery positions:

1. Brooklyn (Worst team in the League due to Durant forcing a trade, Harden injuries, and Kyrie retiring to found a new settlement for unvaccinated folks on the dark side of the flat earth)
    10/11. Houston tied with another team.
    12. LAC
    30. OKC (Wins the Championship behind league MVP Poku and finals MVP Giddey)

As bad as it was trying to win the coin flip this year to keep the Jalen Green pick, I can't imagine how stressful this would be as a Brooklyn fan.

First, you'd have to hope that the Rockets won a literal coin flip and secured the #10 position, protecting their pick, and ensuring that the lowest you'd pick is #10. If the Rockets lost the flip and ended up #11, you'd then be picking #30 (OKC's slot after two swaps). That's a heck of a drop off...

Second, even if the Rockets won the flip and finished 10th, you'd have to hope that the #11/13/14 teams didn't win a top 4 slot and push the Rockets out of the top 10. If the Clippers won, you'd be ok, since OKC would then swap with them instead of Houston.

No matter what, you'd be in the somewhat odd position of actually rooting for Houston to win the lottery rather than your own team.

11. xaos

xaos Member

12. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

xaos and Williamson like this.
  13. conquistador#11

Trade the 2025 rookies. They don't fit the timeline!

14. Tuckankhamun

Tuckankhamun Member

I could see LeBron pulling a Dale Earnhardt and playing till he's 40 just to play with his son.

Likely by that point he'll sign or trade to wherever his son is, not the other way around.

RasaqBoi likes this.
  15. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

I’ve always said the same. Lebrons just in the nba now to break kareems point record n stick around to play a year with his son. Indiana okc etc. he will do it for a year.

16. Jontro

Jontro Member

i no longer see letters and words. i see a pic of gersson mathews. am i the chosen one?

17. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Thanks for the post. I really hope the Rockets hold on to these picks. The only way I would be ok with them trading is if the Rockets have 2 young all stars with good role players having success on their own. You could maybe then trade them for a top 10 player in the league that is hopefully fills a position of need. Otherwise hold those mofos. It would so sweet to have a good team and at the same time watch the Nets lose and good players being added to the team still.