1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jalen Green “not going to play anytime soon”

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ashleyem, Dec 3, 2021.

1. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

At first I started to laugh at the thought of this ..... then I remembered the crowd chanting MVP while Mathews was shooting his FT's the other night.

He really has been that good on both ends of the floor but the biggest difference between him and the guy he replaced is defense. His defensive RAPTOR has him #11 overall and I think that's sustainable even if the offensive number comes back down to earth ....

No , he wont be in the conversation for league MVP but he could damn sure be the Rockets team MVP.

D-rock and Verbal Christ like this.
  2. jdjd

jdjd Member

I want to see Green earn his way back on to the court.
    Give him a couple of G League games to learn how to play basketball again. (humble him a little)
    We spent the entire year last year tanking to get him, and now we're playing better without him.
    I hope they don't just give him his spot back just because he was the #2 pick. GM is just better.
    I also hope Green somewhere lifting weights right now.

3. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Being completely honest , I was on team Green right up to the end and I was never on team Mobley.

The last couple weeks leading up to the draft I started looking hard at Scottie Barnes ....

I'm still hoping for the sake of the team that Green improves .... but the fact is he has a long way to go and the real scary part is that he's struggling with what was suppose to be his strength - Shooting.

GotGame15, D-rock, sydmill and 3 others like this.
  4. Squirtle

Squirtle Member

:eek::eek::eek:

5. NewAge

NewAge Member

Yeah, me too. I trusted the Front Office, liked the highlights, and bought the whole "superb athlete+great work ethics=Kobe 2.0" equation...

Media Day was the 1st disappointment. The whole giggling Valley Girl act, that was nothing like Kobe/MJ...

Media Day was when I soured on the team for this year. 1. The whole John Wall weirdness, with Stone coming across as a total douche. 2. Green's persona 3. House rambling about his rap career. I was counting on House to have his head straight in a contract year.

So Wall/Green/House, three players I was counting on to contribute this year were "uh-oh"... Thank goodness for Gary Bird, Sengun and the other bright sparks...

Tuckankhamun likes this.
  6. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

He literally is improving. 60% ts his past five games before going down.

harold bingo likes this.
  7. fchowd0311

Can you elaborate on persona for Green and what you find wrong with it?

BonziWellsGOAT likes this.
  8. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

His shooting should be the last thing you worry about.

9. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Disagree .

dude is superbly athletic and from what I saw actually tried hard on D . He just is raw .

If he can shoot that puts his floor pretty high .

harold bingo likes this.
  10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Suggesting that a streaky shooter shooting well over the course of a few games is necissarily "improvement" is a bit ridiculous. It's far more likely that it was just a hot streak....like the ones he's had before that fooled the willing into believing he was a good shooter.

11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He fooled them with dunk highlights, his 36% from 3 in the GLeague was not really noteworthy.

It would be a success if he shot at average efficiency.

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It shouldn't have been noteworthy, but there were people here citing his g league 3 point shooting as evidence he was going to be a 40% 3 point shooter in the NBA.

Again though, they were willingly fooled.

13. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

I was sure you would see I was being facetious - I love your content just that going those extra lengths to use certain stats to further divide a polarized topic is kind of needless. Matthews is a nice find and in his moment he has seized it and played GREAT! He’s not the 5th name picked when you start thinking of “best” players in the league in the same way it’s easy to say Jalen Green is not the worst player in the league - it’s almost comical. It’s just crazy to see this fan base so fickle and flip floppy. Just a month ago Scoot was worthless too.

14. solid

solid Contributing Member

Green gives off some weird vibes. His performances on the floor have been generally disappointing with some exceptions. It will be interesting to see what Clutch Fans thinks about him by the end of the season. Highlight vids can be very misleading. Being in during the losing streak and out during the winning streak doesn't help his image with the team.

GotGame15, D-rock, NewAge and 2 others like this.
  15. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I had looked at his shooting numbers just the other day , I could have sworn they hadn't changed much ,.... I'll have to go back and check the box scores for that period of time.

16. fchowd0311

He had a cold shooting game for one of them but he went to the line a lot for that game so that helped his ts%. But getting to the line is part of his improvement also. That's how Harden was still efficient on bad shooting nights.

BonziWellsGOAT likes this.
  17. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Well he's only played 18 games. 6 games is 1/3rd of his total NBA games. That means his poor shooting stretch is only 12 games. How long would this have to continue before you stop looking down on people as "ridiculous" for considering it as an improvement?

Dobbizzle and Squirtle like this.
  18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

LOL, see that's the problem though, it has to be only a 5 game sample to show what the fanbois want you to see, if you make it a 6 game sample, that TS% drops to .558. It has to remain a SUPER small sample so the hot streak looks like more than it is......and even during that "hot" streak, he was only shooting 30% from 3.

Like I said, it's certain people going out of their way to willingly be fooled by ridiculous narratives. They simply NEED to believe, no matter what the actual evidence suggests.

If Tate, someone we know isn't a good 3 point shooter, shoots 40% over 5 games, is that evidence that he's all of a sudden gotten better.....or is it just a random hot streak that likely means nothing?

To suggest a player that isn't a good shooter has truly become a better shooter, you need to see sustained success. I'm thinking at least 20 games. Till then it should be assumed to be a fluke.

19. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

i'd start him off the bench first

GotGame15, D-rock and NewAge like this.
  20. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I'd send him to the G league for a couple weeks , then when he's shown progress bring him up and play him off the bench.

He's gotta earn not only the starter role back but the spot in the rotation too .... See how he responds.

NewAge and cmoak1982 like this.