1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jalen Green “not going to play anytime soon”

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ashleyem, Dec 3, 2021.

1. D-rock

D-rock Member

He obviously has that poster on ignore.

xaos likes this.
  2. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Someone can be both, though. These two things aren't mutually exclusive. A rockets fan would be happy to see him improve and succeed, because that would be good for the team. But that same person is also happy to see him fail, and gets a lot of joy coming online and gloating about his struggles, doing a smug victory lap about being right about him all along, mocking anyone who thought he was going to be good.

People posting "believe me, I'd be happy if he succeeds, that's what I really want!" isn't the disclaimer they think it is. You're still rooting for him to fail.

3. amn779

amn779 Member

that’s fair. I think 17 games is a pretty small sample size, especially for a 19 year old. So it’s fair to expect him to regress upwards on wide open shots, especially as he gets more of them with better spacing. There’s a lot to complain about with Green’s start, but I don’t think any reasonable basketball mind is worried about him being a bad shooter.

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Another poster beat me to it, but he's missing wide open shots, it has nothing to do with "spacing"....he's the spacing problem. Defenders don't guard him on the 3 point line because they WANT him to shoot it.

You have to cling to small samples because he's a streaky shooter, not a good shooter. He'll have random games where he's on fire, then 10 games where he can't hit anything.

I'm certainly not "happy" to see him fail, I'm frustrated by it because IMO it was predictable.

I said before the draft that I thought he had the biggest bust potential out of the "consensus" top players in the class, I said that well before the Rockets had anything to do with him. I don't trust players that are all athleticism and no skill because there's no guarantee that they ever develop those skills....and you just kind of have to hope that it eventually happens. That's what Green is.

Since the Rockets went with him, we're in the position where we just have to hope that he eventually develops the skill and mental side of the game that he almost completely lacks right now. I do like that as the goalposts shift, people start coming more in line with what I've been saying but only because that's a more rational look at things. He's not a good player right now, he might not ever be one, but there's always the chance that he develops into one. He's got the athleticism to be awesome, he just needs to learn how to play basketball.

It's just inaccurate to say that I "want" him to fail.....I'd love nothing more than for him to develop into even half the palyer the fanbois claimed he was, it would be amazing for the team.

hakeem94 and D-rock like this.
  5. amn779

amn779 Member

6. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

538 RAPTOR has Jalen Green as "The Worst Player In The League" and its not even close.

Parameters - 300 minutes or more.

Jalen Green is Dead Last with a -9.7

The next nearest is Terrence Ross with a -7.6

The Best NBA Players, According To RAPTOR | FiveThirtyEight

Garrison Mathews has a n +8.1 total .... good enough for 5th overall.

7. D-rock

D-rock Member

Work on your 3 young man!

8. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Mathews has been playing in the new offense while Green was toiling in the worst offense on the planet because Silas was trying to make a point to Stone about running 2 centers..

come on man.. there you guys go being weird again.

9. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

[​IMG]

10. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

So Garrison Matthews should be in MVP talks?

Corrosion, roslolian and DreamShook like this.
  11. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

He's got my vote

D-rock likes this.
  12. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Contributing Member

Garrison Mathews being 5 is exactly why I don't put too much stock into RAPTOR without any other context, as much as I love Garry Bird.

13. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

[​IMG]

Verbal Christ and D-rock like this.
  14. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

what does being good mean to you? were the suns lucky for getting to the finals or they good?
    thanks

15. palmsnbananas

palmsnbananas Member

Lololololol

In all seriousness he’s definitely going to be better with the new lineups however!!!! He doesn’t do any of the things that GMAT does which is hustle on D and intangibles so that’s where even with the new lineup I don’t see him becoming a positive player. I think his best chance is becoming an offensive beast bc we know he won’t be making even one of the effort plays gmat did last game. Let’s see what happens.

daywalker02 and hakeem94 like this.
  16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

And it probably takes him 1 or 2 games to get into game shape.

One game is enough to end the streak.

palmsnbananas and D-rock like this.
  17. Losmi_34

Losmi_34 Member

I still believe in Green. Yes, he had more bad moments than good, but We have to remember what a clusterf**k of a team We were before the streak. KPJ with the turnovers before the play even develops, Wood trying to be a point center and bogging down our transition game, etc. We now play with so much flow and space, and Green would look so much better in this offense. We need to remeber that he looked a class above everyone else in the SL, and that's because we had space, and he was used properly. Hopefully he'll be back soon so We can see how he looks in this setting.

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

That was the cake you were talking about, know what you did there.

19. MystikArkitect

Im not sure I've used the ignore button as much I have in the last month since being on this site.

20. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Is Salis some kind of offensive coach or something?