1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How are the Golden State Warriors so good?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Juxtaposed Jolt, Nov 13, 2021.

1. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

My point was obvious and clear. Its about not posting misinformation. Not sure why you mention OKC since i didn't bring it up. A simple google search or going on spotrac would save you from repeatedly posting erroneous information.

You first stated wrote, "Draymond didn't get the max he would walk". That just factually wrong. Draymond signed for less than the max in 2015. Your second statement "he signed his max that kicked in last year." Again that is another factually wrong assertion. Draymond signed a extension for 4 year 99 million that started in 2020. That's nearly 50 million less than his max and much more had he waited to sign the deal the end of the year.

Lastly instead of learning from your mistake, again you repeated the same wrong statement. "He would not have settled for less than MAx the second time. He felt they owed him." Again wrong.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/bryant...es-flaws-with-nba-extensions/?sh=58f5cd844f20

You're entitled to your own opinions (no matter how silly they may be to others) but you are NOT entitled to your own facts.

2. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I like when you can't argue numbers, and Finals MVP trophies, you start arguing things like Gravity and "looks". Well Durant looked more dominant and was was more dominant in every stat too.

Durant was the best player on that Warriors team by every stat imaginable. Curry as great as he is, is a bit like Harden in that he has his up and downs in the playoffs when teams game plan for him.

Why don't you tell me how great Curry's gravity was in game 5,6,7 of 2016 finals when they blew the 3-1 lead. They got physical with him and he can't create shots on his own and just ends up chucking 3's. How did a 73 win team with one of the greatest offense of all time in the regular season blew 3 games in a row with their best player shooting abysmally.

And then the next year they got Durant, they literally ran through the league in the playoffs, and Durant absolutely took a dump on the Cavs and Lebron. I guess being great at 1v1 is better than just having "gravity".

I am starting to think that Curry fans are just like Harden fans. When the numbers go down in the playoffs, gotta argue the intangible gravity pull. The 2018 Houston switch everything offense exposed the Warriors offense, they can't get off clean looks, and had to revert to playing our game. Too bad we only had that squad at its peak in one year.

#202 apollo33, Dec 7, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2021
  3. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Because the whole point of my arguments was OKC wasnt willing to pay and KD was out at a disadvantage. Draymond did get the Max extension so not sure what you are saying and how I'm wrong. Maybe he wasn't willing to play out the last year of his deal in case of injuries. But he took what the max was available to him at that time.

4. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

I literally provided a link for you to see how you were misinformed. Draymond has never signed a max contract with the Warriors. The first was just under the max while the second one was MUCH less than the max.

Here is Spotrac and his contract details. Compare it with beal or dame who were in the same draft class or better yet compare his yearly salary to the cap. A 5th grader can figure out that it is below the 30% max that players with 7-9 years of service time are eligible for. https://www.spotrac.com/nba/golden-state-warriors/draymond-green-10860/cash-earnings/

Lastly why do you keep bringing up OKC. Your arguments (no matter what they are) about OKC does not entitle you to make up facts that never happened.

5. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Dude it was your own article that stated it. Did you even read your own article? The max extension you can sign is 120%. That's exactly what he got. His starting salary was already lower cuz he didn't take the max first time. So yes obviously it would be much lower than Dame.

Here is the excerpt.

Under the current collective bargaining agreement, teams can extend contracts for up to five years, including any years remaining on the deal. However, the starting salary in an extension is limited to 120% of what the player earned the previous year (up to that player's max salary).

Since Green will earn roughly $18.5 million in 2019-20, that meant his maximum starting salary in an extension is $22.2 million. With 8% annual raises over the course of the extension, he'll receive roughly $99.7 million through the 2023-24 season.

6. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

the best things about warriors is they defied expectations and broke all the rules...

NOBODY SAW THEM COMING....expert opinion doesn't work in nba...now people deify what warriors did and make new rules of how success should be achieved...and they are wrong again... there is no rules....

7. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

The extension was the max the warriors could offer him, it wasn't a max contract, which is the flaw in the structuring of the CBA regarding extensions at the time. There's a difference between the max a team can offer due to specific cases and CBA restrictions and "max contracts" which refers to the highest % of the cap a player can get. The point of the article was
    So your assertion that he wasn't willing to forgoe money is wrong. He literally gave up 51 million at the least and 100 million maximum.

#207 blahblehblah, Dec 7, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2021
  8. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

I literally said he signed a max extension. I didn't say he got the max he could get. maybe he was afraid of injuries. Good thing he signed jt too cuz he was god awful last year. He wouldn't have gotten close to it.

9. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

You are confusing factual reasoning with excuses. They aren't the same thing. Yes, GS won in 2015, when they faced an injured team in every round of the postseason. Yes, they lost the following year when they didn't face an injured team in the Finals. Yes, they immediately went superstar chasng for more help to beat that team. Yes, they lost once the superstar they recruited wasn't available to play anymore. This is all fact.

10. Icehouse

It doesn't matter, because at that point they didn't have to pay him the max. He was still on his rookie deal for another season and woulda been a RFA the following summer. They tried to win on a budget, which is the exact opposite of what GS has been doing.

11. wekko368

wekko368 Member

What was GSW's payroll ranking when they won in 2015?

12. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

Just as the rest of what I wrote which you ommitted was also all facts.

Facts - warriors won the title in 2015 and faced injured teams. Warriors lost in 2016 when curry was injured, lost bogut to injuries and Draymond suspended.

Facts - rockets won two titles when Jordan was retired and didnt play 2 full seasons.

Rockets would fail to win the title any season when Jordan wasn't retired.

Factual reasoning seems awfully inconsistent when you selectively apply facts to certain case and ommit them from certain cases.

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I rather have an asterisk championship than no championship at all and only a Finals appearance as consolation.

verysimplejason likes this.
  14. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

Same. Many if not most championships can be assigned asterisks for one petty reason or another. But aside for those few detractors no-one cares about those "factual reasons" or "excuses." Instead they celebrate the achievement and remember the joy of reaching it.

daywalker02 likes this.
  15. verysimplejason

There are no asterisk championships. I don't believe in such things. You win or you lose. Luck is just a part of why you become a champion. To be a champion, you need to win in the regular season and several rounds in the post. Luck had got something to do with it but you can't discount any of the hard work that the team puts into winning it all. Hard work isn't accidental. The 82 + playoffs gruelling games says it all.

blahblehblah, Easy and daywalker02 like this.
  16. Icehouse

Are you referring to when they had players like Klay and Green on rookie deals, and spent as much as they could to bring Iggy in? In case you missed it, we are discussing teams spending all they can to win. It’s beyond clear which team did that (and still is) and which one didn’t.

And as I previously mentioned, it’s a moot point because Harden was still on his rookie deal when they traded him.

verysimplejason likes this.
  17. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Not really; try to keep up. RHU and I were discussing a team's willingness to hand out big contracts after winning a title versus not winning a title.

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

There is no deification, Worriers are just the natural successors of the Spurs, Bulls and MDA Suns....

They have a system that is fun to watch, have the league and refs in awe.......

Kerr has been on those teams. Nash was on GSW.

They also take in upcoming coaches like Willie Green, like Nash.

Ex coaches like Kenny Atkinson, Mike Brown.....

NOBODY saw them coming is probably not the right approach, I think people who were basketball experts did see them coming, not the ordinary fan......

#218 daywalker02, Dec 9, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2021
  19. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

Warriors currently have the best defense in the NBA by a wide margin. A big reason for that is the Warriors holding opponents to just 32% 3 point shooting. They allow 38% on "wide open" attempts (146 out of 383 attempts) and just 29% on "open" attempts (127 out of 437). Whether this is sustainable remains to be seen.

My guess is that at least some part of that is luck and the randomness of small samples.

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Think the Jazz will edge closer. They are a very good regular season team with Gobert but flawed.