1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bob Dole, Senator, Presidential Candidate, War Hero Dead at 98

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by rocketsjudoka, Dec 6, 2021.

1. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

A man who epitomized the Greatest Generation. Who great up during the Depression and Dust Bowl. Almost died fighting in Italy. Lived but never could use his right arm again. Served in the Senate for decades including as majority leader. While he had a reputation as a "Hatchet Man" didn't allow ideology to get in the way of getting things done and his legacy is in things the Supplemental Nutrition Program (SNAP) and the Americans with Disabilities Act. Bills which he worked with the other side to get passed.

Also a very funny man especially about himself.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2021/12/05/us/politics/bob-dole-senate.html

Witty and to the Point, Dole Embodied ‘Shared Values’ in Washington
    Bob Dole, a Kansas Republican, brought his no-nonsense manner to Washington, cutting deals during a bygone era. “He was in a sense Mr. America,” the historian Robert Dallek said.

WASHINGTON — When Bob Dole was the Senate majority leader, in the days when Republicans and Democrats at least tried to work together, he routinely walked across the second floor of the Capitol to meet the minority leader, Tom Daschle, in Mr. Daschle’s office.

The reversal of protocol struck Mr. Daschle, who was new in the job, as gracious.

“I said, ‘Bob, I’m really humbled that you insist on coming to my office; I’m the junior guy, so I should come to your office,’” Mr. Daschle, a Democrat from South Dakota, recalled in an interview on Sunday after learning that Mr. Dole, 98, had died. “And he said, ‘No, when I come to your office, I can always decide when the meeting is over.’”

The remark was classic Bob Dole — witty and straight to the point. And the story is a reminder of Bob Dole’s Washington.

Mr. Dole, a Kansas Republican who overcame the poverty of the Great Depression and grievous injuries sustained during World War II, brought his prairie values and no-nonsense manner when he arrived in Washington in 1961. Over the next 35 years — through eight years in the House, 27 in the Senate and three failed attempts to win the presidency — he operated in a city that was conducive to his instincts as a deal maker.

It is perhaps trite to reminisce about and romanticize a “bygone era” in Washington, when politicians of opposing parties fought by day and socialized with one another at night. There was plenty of partisanship — some of it every bit as bitter as what exists today — during Mr. Dole’s time in the Capitol.

But there also is no denying that the climate was different, and the facts speak for themselves: Both as a senator and as the Republican leader, a job he held from 1985 until 1996, Mr. Dole reached across the aisle to help push through a string of bipartisan legislation, such as a bill to rescue Social Security, the Americans With Disabilities Act and a measure to overhaul the welfare system.

Among his proudest accomplishments was teaming up with George McGovern, the liberal Democrat from South Dakota, to completely revamp the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, commonly called food stamps. They continued to work together on nutrition issues after they both left the Senate.

“People believed in working with each other, and they kept their word,” Senator Patrick J. Leahy, a Vermont Democrat who counted Mr. Dole as a friend, said in an interview on Sunday. He recalled the close ties between George J. Mitchell Jr., the Maine senator who preceded Mr. Daschle as the Democratic leader, and Mr. Dole.

“When George Mitchell was leader, he’d go down to Dole’s office two and three times a day and vice versa,” Mr. Leahy said. “And I recall they both said the same thing about the other: ‘He never surprised me.’ You don’t see that happen today.”

Not only that, Mr. Mitchell and Mr. Dole had dedicated phone lines on their desks that let them communicate directly with the touch of a button, one aide recalled.

The button came in handy in November 1994, when Republicans won back the majority. Mr. Mitchell, who had not sought re-election, asked that Mr. Dole be alerted that he was coming to his office to congratulate him. Mr. Dole sent a quick message back that he didn’t want Mr. Mitchell to make the humbling trek and that Mr. Dole would instead go to his office, a gesture that Mr. Mitchell and his team regarded as decent and thoughtful.

“He operated in a different era, when the idea of bipartisanship was very much in vogue and politicians understood that in a democracy you simply have to work, not just with your fellow party members, but with people from the opposite side or the other side of the aisle,” said Robert Dallek, the presidential historian. “He was masterful at that.”

That is not to say that Mr. Dole lacked sharp elbows or conservative ideology. Newt Gingrich, the former Republican speaker of the House who is widely credited with ushering in Washington’s era of partisan warfare, said he worked closely with Mr. Dole to push through tax cuts and to defeat President Bill Clinton’s plan for universal health care.

In an interview on Sunday, Mr. Gingrich likened Mr. Dole to the current Republican leader, Senator Mitch McConnell of Kentucky, an object of loathing for Democrats.

“I think there’s a lot of parallels between Dole and McConnell,” Mr. Gingrich said. “They’re both creatures of the Senate; they’re both very, very good tactically. They both understand how to stop things, and they understand how to get things done.”

Despite their partnership, Mr. Dole could not embrace Mr. Gingrich’s bomb-throwing style. When Mr. Gingrich and House Republicans refused to pass federal spending bills, forcing the government to shut down in 1995, Mr. Dole took to the Senate floor to declare that he had had enough.
    Cont.

2. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Cont.
    “We ought to end this,” Mr. Dole said at the time. “I mean, it’s gotten to the point where it’s a little ridiculous as far as this senator is concerned.”

In Washington, Mr. Dole and his wife, Elizabeth Dole — who later became a senator and ran for president herself — were seen as a power couple, the embodiment of the city’s institutions. Mr. Dole came to stand for World War II and the Greatest Generation, and an earlier era of dignity and honor. He was the driving force behind the World War II Memorial on the National Mall, and could often be found greeting veterans there.

“He was in a sense Mr. America,” said Mr. Dallek, the historian. “He came from the heartland, and he stood for a kind of shared values.”

In 1996, Mr. Dole left the Senate — an institution in which he had served for more than a quarter century — to run for president. Washington was changing. Mr. Gingrich was at the height of his power. Mr. Clinton would later be impeached over his affair with an intern, Monica Lewinsky, exacerbating the growing partisan tensions.

But when Mr. Dole, who at that point was the Senate’s longest-serving Republican leader, went to the chamber to deliver a speech announcing his departure, the old ways of the Capitol were still intact.

“That day he announced he was leaving the Senate, almost every Democratic senator was on the floor,” Mr. Leahy said. “Now, he was going to go out to run against Bill Clinton. And when he finished speaking, we all stood and applauded and applauded.”

Slyonebluejay and tinman like this.
  3. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Damn, one more year and he could have been 99

the greatest number of all

4. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

Really? I swear you say some of the dumbest **** at the most inappropriate time.

jiggyfly likes this.
  5. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

And still too young to run for President.

tinman likes this.
  6. Squirtle

Squirtle Member

7. tinman

Supporting Member

98 plus 1 is 99?
    yes

RIP Bob Dole

8. Slyonebluejay

Slyonebluejay Member
    Supporting Member

Norm Macdonald did a great impersonation of him. RIP. I remember when he ran for president. Didn't really have a chance against Bill Clinton.

ROCKSS, ryan_98 and Andre0087 like this.
  9. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I always liked him, but that SNL skit of him on the real world was hilarious

10. adoo

adoo Member

RIP

this presidential election pitted

• the son of poor farmers from Kansas against
    • the son of a single mom, at times living on welfare, from Arkansas
    they were duking it out on the campaign trail; post election, they became good friends, https://abcnews.go.com/US/story?id=96646&page=1

Slyonebluejay and FranchiseBlade like this.
  11. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Biden orders flags be flown at half-staff through 12/9 to honor the man. His statement below.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing...joe-biden-on-the-passing-of-senator-bob-dole/

A month after being sworn in as President, one of the first conversations I had with anyone outside the White House was with our dear friends, Bob and Elizabeth Dole, at their home in Washington. Bob had recently been diagnosed with lung cancer, and I was were there to offer the same support, love, and encouragement that they showed me and Jill when our son Beau battled cancer, and that the Doles have shown us over the half century we’ve been friends.

Like all true friendships, regardless of how much time has passed, we picked up right where we left off, as though it were only yesterday that we were sharing a laugh in the Senate dining room or debating the great issues of the day, often against each other, on the Senate floor. I saw in his eyes the same light, bravery, and determination I’ve seen so many times before.

In the Senate, though we often disagreed, he never hesitated to work with me or other Democrats when it mattered most. He and Ted Kennedy came together to turn Bob’s lifelong cause into the Americans with Disabilities Act — granting tens of millions of Americans lives of greater dignity. On the Social Security Commission, he led a bipartisan effort with Pat Moynihan to ensure that every American could grow old with their basic dignity intact. When he managed the bill to create a federal holiday in the name of Martin Luther King, Jr. — a bill that many in his own caucus opposed — I will never forget what he said to our colleagues: “No first-class democracy can treat people like second-class citizens.”

Another bipartisan effort, the McGovern-Dole International Food for Education and Child Nutrition Program, provided school meals and food for nursing mothers and young children. It saved the lives of countless young people who would otherwise have died in infancy — and brought dignity to tens of millions of families at home and abroad. This work, for Bob, was about more than passing laws. It was written on his heart.

Bob was an American statesman like few in our history. A war hero and among the greatest of the Greatest Generation. And to me, he was also a friend whom I could look to for trusted guidance, or a humorous line at just the right moment to settle frayed nerves. I will miss my friend. But I am grateful for the times we shared, and for the friendship Jill and I and our family have built with Liddy and the entire Dole family.

Bob was a man to be admired by Americans. He had an unerring sense of integrity and honor. May God bless him, and may our nation draw upon his legacy of decency, dignity, good humor, and patriotism for all time.

Slyonebluejay and No Worries like this.
  12. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

RIP Bob Dole. May you have no shortage of boner pills in heaven.

You realize @tinman is just a trope of a 90s Fox sitcom pilot?

It's sad Bob came into mind months ago when people commented how he outlasted Norm.

Nook likes this.
  13. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Ex President Trump opens the casket and takes a huge dump.

Compare and contrast.

#13 No Worries, Dec 6, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2021
  14. FrontRunner

FrontRunner Member

Tobacco Dole (cont’d)
    SHEILA KAPLAN

15. tinman

Supporting Member

people are now triggered by numbers
    not just Dave Chappelle jokes

@Os Trigonum

16. BlastOff

BlastOff Member

A great man, a REAL patriot. Thanks for your service to America. You will be missed.

Slyonebluejay and No Worries like this.
  17. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

https://www.wsj.com/articles/bob-kn...ill-clinton-11638825084?mod=opinion_lead_pos7

Bob Knew How to Dole Out the Jokes
    He was a tough partisan, but the senator’s humor was warmly regarded on both sides of the aisle.
    By Ronald G. Shafer
    Dec. 6, 2021 6:39 pm ET

Bob Dole, who died Sunday at 98, will be remembered as a decorated World War II hero, a Republican presidential candidate and a legendary U.S. Senate leader.

He also will be remembered for his biting wit.

In a speech on the federal budget, Dole quipped that America is better off when the Senate can’t assemble a quorum: “As long as there are only three to four people on the floor, the country is in good hands. It’s only when you have 50 to 60 in the Senate that you want to be concerned.”

The angry-looking senator had a frosty public image. Vice President Al Gore once joked during a particularly cold Washington winter that it was so cold, people were “huddling around Bob Dole for warmth.”

But Dole was also an old-time politician who could find agreement and friendship with those he opposed. He was regarded warmly on both sides of the aisle for his honor and his humor. Unlike many politicians, his best quips were spontaneous rather than the product of joke writers.

Take the time he lost the 1980 New Hampshire primary. “I went home and slept like a baby,” Dole told reporters. “Every two hours I woke up and cried.’’

Asked about the defense secretary’s response to reports that the Pentagon had paid $600 for a toilet seat, Dole replied: “He hasn’t taken a position on that.”

He often used humor to speak truth. Asked after a White House budget summit if anybody had been courageous enough to propose a tax increase, Dole responded, “Maybe the custodian.”

Dole’s colleagues didn’t escape his barbs. “If you’re hanging around [Washington] with nothing to do and the zoo is closed, come over to the Senate,” he said. “You’ll get the same kind of feeling and you won’t have to pay.”

Many of his self-deprecating quips involved his wife of 46 years, Elizabeth Dole, who also served as a senator. When Mrs. Dole was president of the American Red Cross, her husband remarked, “At least she’s president of something, which is more than I can say.”

When his wife was transportation secretary, Dole said it was easy for her to make a decision on air bags: “She’s married to one.”

After President Clinton took office in 1993, Minority Leader Dole—who often referred to himself in the third person—said of the new president: “The good news is he’s getting a honeymoon in Washington. The bad news is that Bob Dole is going to be his chaperone.”

In 1996 Mr. Clinton soundly defeated Dole in the presidential election. Early the next year, Mr. Clinton presented his political adversary with the Presidential Medal of Freedom. Dole began his response, “I, Robert J. Dole, do solemnly swear—uh, sorry, wrong speech.”

As the president and the audience broke out in laughter, Dole continued: “I had a dream that I would be here, this historic week, receiving something from the president. But I thought it would be the front door key.”

Robert J. Dole was a war hero. He was a great American. And he made us laugh.

Mr. Shafer is a former Washington political features editor at the Wall Street Journal and writer of the Washington Wire.

tinman and Invisible Fan like this.
  18. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Mr. Shafer should've let present Dole dole out the puns in titles.

For shame, wsj.

Os Trigonum likes this.
  19. adoo

adoo Member

President and First Lady visit WWII memorial on 80th anniversary of Pearl Harbor
    and lay wreath honoring WWll hero Bob Dole

A stark contrast from Trump who, as the POTUS, had
    • never visited the WWII memorial not Arlington cemetery
    • while in France, cancelled a scheduled visit to US military cemetery (tWWI memorial) there
    • called soldiers who die in combat "suckers"

20. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

RIP Bob Dole.......I miss the days when the GOP acted liked it truly cared for America, not click bait on the most outrageous things to say

Andre0087 likes this.