1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How are the Golden State Warriors so good?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Juxtaposed Jolt, Nov 13, 2021.

1. cdxiong

cdxiong Contributing Member

Don't really understand why there defense is so good(#1 in the league), they don't have any good center, people are worrying about C Wood got abused by big centers.

2. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

Their defense is good mainly because Draymond is one of the best defensive bigs in the league and everyone on the team is not only exerting effort but just as importantly - know where to be on defense. They're really active and rotate well most of the time. Anticipation and effort goes along way in having a good defense.

That said, I don't think their defense is as great as the numbers currently indicate. In the playoffs when almost everyone will be exerting maximum effort/focus I'm betting there wont be such a big gap between the Warriors defense and the other contenders.

cdxiong likes this.
  3. roslolian

roslolian Member

Isn't it due to Wiggins and Draymond? Wiggins was dubbed the next Lebron for a reason, he had all the talent just didn't have enough drive and passion for the game. GSW motivated him so he is now a legit 2 way star.

4. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Thus far, Wiggins has a negative RAPTOR rating this year for both offense (-0.3) and defense (-0.1).

palmsnbananas likes this.
  5. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

First of all you disrespect CP3 by saying this. If the Rockets had Chris Paul in those other years we played them without KD we woulda won. CP3 and Harden is greatest backcourt the nba has ever seen. Bad luck and timing, and cheap ownership blew that up. It was not even close to the same team and Capela got better, we benched Ryan Anderson and got PJ Tucker and Luc, Warriors got KD but lost Bogut and other key players like Livingston etc. You can't just say dang they added KD and got worse... If they added KD without losing a single other piece they probably go 82-0.

Secondly KD never won cuz of circumstances. Curry lucked out being drafted by the Warriors and a team willing to spend well beyond the luxury tax to win championships. KD on the other hand had to deal with an owner so cheap that he traded their second best player to the Rockets for nothing. Would Curry have won a thing if Klay got traded for Kevin Martin and Steven Adams?

Even this year the Nets are out here dumping salaries and contracts to avoid paying luxury tax. Owners make a huge difference on winning and losing some teams don't have good ones. No matter how great you are as a player if you keep losing top end talent from your team you will never win.

6. HardenVolumeOne

Highest payroll in the league most of currys prime years

BigShasta likes this.
  7. palmsnbananas

palmsnbananas Member

Lol how am I disrespecting CP3 wut

KD was on the SuperSonics Okc for years and that team was ass garbage. KD had the most stacked team in the league in OKC for several years and failed to win. KD will never win another championship, we can wait and see. Curry won a championship without KD and was one game away from having the best season in nba history. KD was broken and was literally added to that team without having to give up any pieces except an old ass bogut. Lol if you’re trying to figure out if KD is the reason for the dynasty you’ve lost your mind lol. Your curry haterade is really showing. Lol imagine if a team beats you so badly you give up on your own team and go ADD yourself to that team.. ADD not TRADE.. and people think you are the reason for their success! Lol even KD isn’t that delusional that’s why he left bc he realized no one respects him they know he just piggy backed on someone else’s dynasty. Lolololol

8. palmsnbananas

palmsnbananas Member

Im sure Clyde drexler sits at home thinking “I’m the reason for the Rockets success in the 90’s”

LMAO

9. wekko368

wekko368 Member

When you make false claims like this, what's your thought process? Do you think people are too lazy to fact-check you?

10. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

Wiggins is a "star" on either end but he has been a good defender the past two season. He is really long and athletic. When he commits the effort (which he is doing most of the time now) to playing defense, he is a + defender. For the Warriors he is their point of attack defender (he guards the best guard/wing) of the opposing team.

That said, he isn't Prime Kawhi or Dort out there shutting guys down. GP2 is the warriors best defender when it comes to ball-pressure and steals. JTA is the second most versatile defender behind Draymond. Old man Iggy is a great defender IF & WHEN healthy. Curry is a very good team defender and tries hard individually. Looney is a very good defender despite moving around the court like a WW2 veteran.

The Warriors aren't exceptionally athletic, long, big or talented compared to other teams, but they function exceedingly well on both sides of the ball as a group. Having every player on the floor working hard and knowing what to do and where to be is extremely valuable/important on any team. For the regular season this is often enough to trump talent (best example is the Knicks last year in the regular season vs playoffs).

#170 blahblehblah, Dec 6, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2021
  11. wekko368

wekko368 Member

When the Warriors won the title in 2015, they had the 14th highest payroll in the league. Given that, don't you think it's logical that the ownership would spend money on the them? There's nothing wrong with investing in a proven commodity.

12. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Yes I get it most of them on rookie level deals, but had they been in OKC would Bennet have still paid? I doubt it. Considering the Thunder just came off a finals appearance and he decided to break that team up.

Keep in mind Bennet worth comes from Oil and Gas and the market completely cratered those years. Even if they win I still think he trades one of them.

#172 RHU525, Dec 6, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2021
  13. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Because you said we only had a chance to beat the Warriors cuz they added KD. Which is pure garbage cuz we only really had a chance cuz we finally got Harden a complementary piece to compete.

I get it KD made an all time b**** move by going it GS. I hated it for him but all you that think they woulda won without him are just crazy.

Kd wasn't on close to the most stacked team
    In the league. They were all under 25 years old when they got to finals. And they played against Lebron Dwade and Bosh in their prime. GS doesn't beat that team.

14. wekko368

wekko368 Member

Bennet absolutely would've paid had they won a title the previous year.

And do you remember how Harden played in those finals?

15. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

like I said in my previous post. Bennet makes his money from Oil and Gas. The market completely cratered that year. A lot of the Harden trade had to do with Bennet basically being broke. Situations matter he's a business man before an owner.

Harden was like 22 that year you don't trade a 22 year old off one finals appearance at that age. Not to mention the finals was in Miami so Harden was probably drunk the whole time,

16. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Draymond literally shets out other centers for dinner even at this age. Remember how he made Capela his child every time we played in the playoffs. He's one of the smartest defensive players in the league that can legit guard all 5 positions.

17. palmsnbananas

palmsnbananas Member

Let me guess this straight, we are crazy to think that the team that almost won back to back championships and had a 73 win season may have won more championships with the same roster???

Um ok that’s a pretty wild hypothetical there

18. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

edit from IS.

red5rocket likes this.
  19. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah cuz the first one they won was pure luck and everyone they played was injured. All the teams around them got better. If they don't sign KD I don't think they woulda won again. I don't think its a reach. Not to mention the wear and tear on the bodies for making soo many deep playoff runs. maybe klay gets hurt even sooner.

If KD woulda came to Houston instead I think we beat them. Or if he went to Boston they probably win too.

20. wekko368

wekko368 Member

If memory serves, didn't OKC offer Harden a contract?