1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

My Public Service Announcement Regarding Dealing With Law Enforcement

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by pgabriel, Dec 6, 2021.

1. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

This isn't opinion it's fact in regards to law. Now isn't the time to argue. You will have your opportunity in court. Arguing is irritating and a waste of time and has no chance of a positive outcome

2. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

They have made their decision, law enforcement is trained to be decisive as it's necessary

3. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Thank you @pgabriel
    You believe Gotham is worth saving

4. tinman

Supporting Member

It would put a smile on my face when law enforcement is handed over to artificial intelligence
    They want pure blind justice? See what happens when AI makes decisions in microseconds
    These fools will beg for humans again
    Because their love for criminality will be destroyed
    is it fiction ? Nah
    It’s already happening

5. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Of course arguing with an LEO is a bad idea. When I was stopped for no reason I complied completely and with courtesy. That doesn't mean though that LEO have free pass to do whatever they want. In several cases where civilians have died at the hands of LEO it wasn't a matter of non-compliance as they were already held in custody in positions where non-compliance was impossible. This was the case with George Floyd, Elijah McClain and Eric Garner. In the case of Sandra Bland there was no opportunity to comply.

VooDooPope and rockbox like this.
  6. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

Yes sir, no sir, respectfully I’d like to remain silent until I’m free to leave or can speak with my attorney.

7. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

ive argued my way out of a ticket on two different occasions. the cop was clearly wrong both times and i politely, but firmly argued so and they had to let me go.

one incident i got pulled over for speeding by a cop going the opposite direction. i was probably going 5 miles over and he claimed i was going 15 miles over. he said he had me on radar, even though he was driving the opposite direction at the time so his radar could not have caught me. i did admit to driving about 5 over but i said i absolutely wasnt going over 15 and he had to let me go.

durvasa likes this.
  8. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I got a ticket in Virginia once at 3am in the morning - the cop refused to tell me what I had done wrong until after issuing the ticket and stated that I had passed 6 cars in 10 secs and had me at a speed I was not going. When I tried to argue they just walked away.

I had to go to court because of the speed, but in the court room I asked the cop if it was true I had passed 6 cars in 10 secs. They said yes.

Then I went through and did the math in court to point out how incredibly fast I'd have to be going to pass 6 cars in 10 secs at 3 am. Either the cars were tail gating one another at 3am in the morning h, or the cop is clearly lying.

The ticket was dismissed.

#8 Sweet Lou 4 2, Dec 6, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2021
    jiggyfly, durvasa and FranchiseBlade like this.
  9. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

My favorite dismissal was the cop who wrote me a ticket with a court date on a Sunday. They had to dismiss it since the court was clearly not going to be open.

10. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

If you "yes sir, no sir" it 100% of the time, you probably won't get shot, but you'll also get your ticket. It's because cops give warnings or let people go (sometimes begrudginly) when they realize they're wrong that citizens argue. The problem is how you do it (evidence, attitude, authority, humility) interacts with the cop (mood, jerk-level, racial bias, professional competence) and can lead to a lot of different outcomes, better or worse. I respectfully argue when I think I'm right, but I'm also non-black with a dash cam and above-average awareness of my rights. It works sometimes. You can also just be a hot chick and get away with almost anything.

11. tinman

Supporting Member

There’s too many factors because they are humans
    Solution
    Non human police enforcement

12. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is true. My dad and I were coming back from the airport late one night - I had to pick him up and feel asleep in the car. Almost home a really bright light - almost blinding - shined into the car from behind. I looked back and couldn't see what it was. My dad thought someone was screwing with us and he ran a stop sign - it was very hard to see anything with that light as bright as it was. Turned out to be a cop who immediately pulled us over after running the stop sign.

My dad was not respectful though as he was mad. He yelled at the cop saying of course I'm going to run the stop sign when you shine that light and scare us as well as make it so hard to see. What do you think?

The cops left us alone. Maybe in different circumstances they would have dragged him out and beat him for that huh?

durvasa likes this.