1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Our #2 draft pick "Jalen Green" seems to have a ceiling of . . .Gerald Green

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JCDenton, Nov 2, 2021.

1. PDJACK7

PDJACK7 Member

I just think he should have from the beginning and now, come off the bench. Just be the scorer for second unit, while he's learning the NBA game. Only thing kills me with Jalen is the non hustle. I'm fine with him missing shots, the constant bricks and air balls, but to not be all out on hustle plays, loose balls and defense, thats what has people upset. I think because he has been so up and down on offense, that him not being all out for every other aspect of the game, is what's causing people to call him out.

And rookie Kobe came off the bench, and so can Jalen

DaDakota, cdxiong and D-rock like this.
  2. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

It's one thing to dislike a player bc of his playstyle of lack of, but hating on a person bc he isn't manly enough.

Goes to show u can find shtty peeps anywhere.

javal_lon, Bo6, Sledge187 and 4 others like this.
  3. T for 3

T for 3 Member

Why are there quotation marks around Jalen Green in the thread title?? No need.

4. JCDenton

JCDenton Member

TAB likes this.
  5. spm_fan

spm_fan Member

This has nothing to do with Jalen as a player:
    I was at the game vs the Pelicans lucky enough to sit close behind the Rockets bench. There was a man and his son who possibly looked disabled (doesn't matter either way) wearing a Green jersey. Later on in the game I see the kid getting a picture with Jalen and his dad shaking his hand. Call me soft but I completely forgot about the game and thought of how special that moment was for the father and son and damn near shed a tear. Just awesome.

fattz, D-rock, kubli9 and 10 others like this.
  6. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

For it to happen this soon shows just how bad he's played ..... and "worst starter in the league" might be an understatement.

The odds of him becoming the franchise player we hoped he'd be on draft day have declined ..... significantly.

He's been replaced and thoroughly out played by a guy who went undrafted and is still on a 2 way contract.

Jalen Green isn't playing any time soon is code for We might have whiffed ...

fattz, Downtown Sniper and NewAge like this.
  7. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

trade him while we still can get something good for him...perhaps he can get us banchero or chet even....

fattz and juanming like this.
  8. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

If it turns into significant time on the sideline, I definitely will be likening this to the Warriors holding out Curry when they realised he was not going to get it done on his own and saved the embarrassment.

hakeem94 likes this.
  9. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

It really is front and centre now.

The lack of fundamentals right across the board is shocking for a #2 pick.

Thus the hilarious disparity between Green and Sengun. One could jump over people and run past people, didn't need to do anything else. One needed to combat being ran past and being out-jumped. Night and day.

hakeem94 likes this.
  10. HardenVolumeOne

these hyper athletic guards never last

skill always wins in the end, scola, harden, luka, cp3, jokic, ( and ginobili played well into his early 40's)

sengun is already showing signs of having a super high upside, because he already has the fundamentals down. I would have traded the 2nd pick after cade went number 1.. drafted mobley or acquired more picks

11. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

I think it is pretty clear now that the G League experience he brought in with him might have been slightly overrated. He’s not much more advanced from that time than a good college player might have been coming into the league. Taking him 2nd overall might have been a reach in hindsight, but he’s still an undeniable talent with an extremely bright future. He’s not good enough yet to be an important piece on a good NBA team, but almost no 19 year old ever is. He’s going to be fine. He just has a lot to learn still.

D-rock likes this.
  12. dmoneybangbang

Lol….. what a joke.

Almost as dumb as saying he’s Corey Brewer.

Lots of people only watch the Rockets so they are pretty ill suited to handle a rebuild.

13. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Yeah, this is my big takeaway. This doesn't mean I think Jalen is a bust or anything, but I definitely overrated how immediately ready he was based on the G league, and I think others did as well. To be honest I'm not sure how the G league thing continues to trick people (myself included!), the vipers won it all with Hartenstein as their best player like 2 or 3 years ago, and I think he was finals MVP? If 2019 Hartenstein is dropping 28 and 14 on 60% shooting in the g league, we need to keep that in mind when we rate players based off their performance down there.

14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The New Denton Curse.

15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The Gatorade League previously was named Developmental League, it just serves for 3rd-4th stringers to not go abroad and find their way back to the NBA.

Green is probably looking like Jordan in the G league.

16. csc177

csc177 Member

Yikes, some folks on here have the patience of a toddler. The only attribute I wish JG had was Gerald's height (a true 6'7 vs someone who claimed he was 6'6 but was in fact 6'4).

D-rock and harold bingo like this.
  17. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

What do you mean probably? He played an entire season in the G league. We know exactly what he looks like. He averaged 18 points, did not look like Jordan.

D-rock and jogo like this.
  18. Alleyoopsy

Alleyoopsy Member

Yeah it's not like the greatest player oat was a hyper athleric guard

D-rock and harold bingo like this.
  19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Most rookies do....and giving them something that they have to EARN is a great way of motivating them to work on their weaknesses.

Mathews is a better player than Green right now - let him beat him out.

DD

fattz likes this.
  20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I mean, the stats do not support it but I have no doubt he would have if his body just filled out.

The league consists of NBA rejects, his talent level should encounter no difficulties down there.

He already is a 14-15 ppg scorer at the early NBA stage.

But you are right that he is still somewhat a disappointment this early.

The real problem is that he shot 36% from 3 down there agaist lesser competition, 46% overall FG which is not star material.

#240 daywalker02, Dec 8, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2021
    fattz and D-rock like this.