1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets.Com - Season in Review - Bostjan Nachbar

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Stack24, Jun 11, 2004.

1. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

http://www.nba.com/rockets/news/review04_nachbar.html

2003-04 Notes:
    Averaged career highs of 3.1 points and 1.6 rebounds in 45 games (three starts) ... made 36.5 percent of his three-point attempts ... set a career high with 12 points at Chicago on Nov. 3, making a career-high 4-of-4 three-point attempts ... tied a career high with 12 points and set a career high with six assists vs. Dallas on Apr. 14 ... scored 11 points in a career-high 41 minutes at Seattle on Apr. 12 ... grabbed a career-high eight rebounds on Mar. 24 vs. Toronto ... recorded a career-high three steals at Seattle on Apr. 12 and vs. Dallas on Apr. 14 ... set a career high with seven free throws made at Sacramento on Nov. 28, finishing with nine points against the Kings.

Rockets fans got a few more glimpses of Nachbar after a rookie season in which he appeared in just 14 games and played a grand total of 77 minutes.

Nachbar played in 45 games in 2003-04, moving in and out of coach Jeff Van Gundy's rotation with inconsistent playing time. Surprisingly the 6-9 second-year forward fared better from beyond the three-point line than he did from two-point range.

Nachbar knocked down a respectable 36 percent of his three-point attempts while shooting just .356 from the field overall. While his minutes increased significantly from his rookie season, Nachbar's lack of consistent playing time was primarily due to his deficiencies on the defensive end.

Apr. 25, 2004 - Nachbar provided one of the few highlights in an otherwise dismal postseason for the Rockets with his hard foul of Karl Malone in Game 4 of the Western Conference first round playoff series with the L.A. Lakers.

After a driving dunk by Nachbar and extra hard foul by Malone in the second quarter of Game 4, Malone found himself all alone seconds later on a fast break situation. Nachbar caught Malone from behind and as the Lakers forward went up for the layin, Nachbar returned the hard foul to prevent the easy bucket, much to the delight of the sold out Toyota Center crowd.

The knock on most European players upon entering the NBA is their lack of defensive skills. There is little question that Nachbar's playing time in his pivotal third season will depend on how much of an improvement he can make defensively in Van Gundy's system.

The Rockets forward did show improvement on the defensive end as the 2003-04 season wore on, so there is hope that he will be ready to make a bigger splash in 2004-05 with increased playing time. The low shooting percentage from 2003-04 could be a product of inconsistent minutes. The encouraging sign was his improvement from three-point range.

It may be time to give the third-year player a chance to show what he can do. We've seen periods of explosiveness along with glimpses of a reliable long-range shooter. The question is whether or not he gets the opportunity on a consistent basis. If Nachbar improves defensively, we may finally get to see whether this former first-round pick is ready to put it all together with a breakout season.

2. Hmm

Hmm Member

FREE BOKI!!

3. rocketloaf

rocketloaf Member

i like boki, he plays really well for the nba. i didn't think that the other rockets players passed it to him very much when he was on the floor. truthfully, there were times that steve and cuttino seemed to only want to pass to each other or mo taylor. it's like an old boys club there and boki hasn't become a member yet. when he did get the ball, the last game of the regular season for instance, i thought he played really tough. driving the lane and finishing, sticking open jumpers, getting up into people's faces on defense. personally, i think this kid is ready to contribute. assuming we keep the same lineup that we have now, he should be the primary back-up at the 3-spot. he's better than piatkowski (who was probably a mistake) and he's much more offensively versatile than adrian griffen (not to mention athletically gifted). all he needs to do is to build some chemistry with the rest of the team so that they can sense when he's running out for a three or cutting into the lane. the only knock that i have on him at this stage is that he's overaggresive to the point of picking up lots of fouls quickly (i.e. that game against the lakers when he had like 4 fouls in 10 minutes). it's definitely better than the timid and shy boki that we saw when he first got playing time, but he should find a way to be aggresive without being reckless.

4. HotRocket

HotRocket Contributing Member

The third season is usually considered the breakout season for most players.

If he gets the minutes, he will have a great chance to explode onto the scene. Hopefully Yao will do the same...

5. sums41

sums41 Contributing Member

I hope we don't trade him, this has been my primary consern when it comes to trades, I don't care if we trade Francis or Mobley because we know that if the Rockets do trade them it will be for other good players. I am concerned that the Rockets will trade Boki for an old guy or a mediocre player because i truly believe that Nachbar and Yao will be the core of the Rockets in years to come, that's just my opinion though.

6. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

I have the same feeling when it comes to yao and boki. They already have a little bit of chemistry off the court and all we need is boki to get his minutes to get the chemistry on the court and it will be a good fit.

7. sonique15

sonique15 Contributing Member

if we trade nachbar i will refuse to watch the rockets.........

8. Zacatecas

Zacatecas Member

Nachbar was dubbed as the Futuer SF for the Rockets. But so was Terrence Morris.

Hopefully Nachbar can fullfill his early role. Considering he has had a hard time getting on the floor in TWO seasons, I'm thinking Nachbar won't emerge out of his shell.

But, if there is any time for him to make the splash and finally become the guy everyone here was so excited about on Draft day; then this up coming season is the one.

Because if Boki can play the way he did in the playoffs, then I think that Boki will have a bright future and Jackson will be coming off the bench after the all - star break. But Boki's play in the post season just seems to me like something so foregin because I really never saw boki play that way during the season.

Either way, Go Boki. Make the Yao draft one of the best the Rockets have had. And let's all forget about the Griffin-Morris draft class.

9. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

If you respond to the survey on rockets.com, you will see that fans are very satisfied with Boki despite his bad stats.

10. speedball

speedball Contributing Member

I have the same shoes (same type, i mean--not the actual ones he was wearing, just the same make and brand)that boki was wearing when he put da smackdown on the postal employee. i will keep them forever...no garage sale can defeat my rocket POWER!!!!!

11. DJ

DJ Member

I developed a lot of respect for Boki when he did that foul on Karl Malone. I just wished that after that foul he would have stayed and let Malone attack him and then give Karl a dose of his own medicine by faking as if Karl hit him hard.

12. Hmm

Hmm Member

Nah, it'd take a coward to pull of such an act. And Boki's no coward. ;)

13. lowbudget

lowbudget New Member

If you watch some of Boki's old tapes from Europe (downloadable from Clutchfans.net), he cuts to the basket hard and dunks in people's face. He's known to have gotten rough out on the court.

This guy's just trying to fit in. He was a star in the European league, and he knows that he has yet to make a name for himself here... and with that, he defers to the other players on the team.

With more playing time, more buzz around this guy, he'll start being more aggressive... but if you yank him out of the lineup, well... no telling when he'll develop.

14. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

I was about to say the same thing.:D