1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off-Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Nov 3, 2021.

1. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Greinke not gone officially yet.

2. raining threes

I guess not liking some of Click's moves and comparing them to Luhnow is off limits in your world and you put what the media thinks above doing everything possible to win a championship?

3. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

I have seen this trade idea before, I think they call it the PUPU platter at the Chinese restaurant my wife favors.

raining threes likes this.
  4. cmlmel77

cmlmel77 Up all Night Watching Houston Sports

Not at all. We're just tired of reading about it ten times per page in every thread.

5. raining threes

I'm only replying to posters, just like I'm replying to your post.

Are you tired of me disagreeing with some of Click's moves, or comparing him to Luhnow? Because if it's the latter there's really no comparison.

6. cmlmel77

Good lord man. I didn’t say a word about either Click or Luhnow. My only point was that you are beating a dead horse beyond recognition. And your response was to compare them yet again (despite there being “no comparison”).

Everyone knows your opinion and has heard your arguments in detail twenty times over. Let it go … or go scream at the clouds somewhere else for a change.

7. Deuce Rings

Deuce Rings Contributing Member

And the MLB lockout has officially started so that’s it for free agency for a while

8. ktex

ktex Member

Fun's over.

9. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Well what the **** are we supposed to do now?

10. cmlmel77

Maybe I was wrong. Perhaps there is nothing better to do than debate James Click vs Jeff Luhnow after all?

I'll start ... "Jeff" and "James" are very similar - call that a push. But I'd argue that "Luhnow" is clearly better that "Click".

Granted, it is a ridiculous spelling ... it should be Loono or maybe Looknow. As written, it should rhyme with "duh, now." But nonetheless it is a fun name - unique yet simple.

On the other hand, "Click" is just boring. You can't really hate a name like Click, but it doesn't have any upside or creativity either.

I hope you agree. If not, I'm happy to tell you about it again every few minutes.

jiggyfly and awc713 like this.
  11. Squirtle

Squirtle Member

More like LOSE-now amirite? ;)

jiggyfly and cmlmel77 like this.
  12. Smacktle

Smacktle Contributing Member

I'm clicking on Click. Can't click on a Luhnow

13. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Again, I'm not sure he's a prize *on this team.*

If Jeremy Pena, right now, can't muster a ~.660 OPS (Andrus' the past four seasons), there really isn't anything to mentor. You are significantly better off letting Jeremy Pena play everyday than you are wasting a single MLB plate appearance on Elvis Andrus.

2019-21:
    Urquidy: 124 ERA+; 4.13 FIP; 1.019 WHIP; 7.4 K/9; age: 26; '21 salary: $~575K
    Bassitt: 128 ERA+; 3.80 FIP; 1.128 WHIP; 8.8 K/9; age: 33; '21 salary: $5+MM

The improvement, if any, is minimal and certainly not worth the $5MM.

You don't invest in fiery passion because it's a make-believe thing that has no impact on wins & losses. What has all that fiery passion from Laureano gotten the A's? And the Astros made the World Series without George Springer's vocal passion.

I just don't see the fit, and you didn't answer the central question: where are you playing Matt Olson on this team? You've committed to Yuli and Yordan is your primary DH in '22.

I would absolutely upgrade Yuli - but I'm not going to pay him $8MM to be a back-up whose only defensive position is 1B.

ETA: Sorry; I'm not trying to be a dick, and this sure reads like I am. I love debating good/bad trade proposals. This one just doesn't make sense to me.

If Correa does leave, the Astros are going to have to find ways to upgrade existing positions to try and fill the giant Correa void. I would love Olson over Gurriel. CF is a position they could upgrade, too. And they will need a competent SS. I just don't think this trade really addressed that direction.

#1633 Hey Now!, Dec 2, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2021
  14. Squirtle

Squirtle Member

[​IMG]

Snake Diggit and Nook like this.
  15. Nook

Nook Member

[​IMG]

SWTsig, Bregatron, awc713 and 8 others like this.
  16. Squirtle

Squirtle Member

Must. Keep. Checking. CF.

Nook likes this.
  17. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Beat another 100 dead horses.

jiggyfly and raining threes like this.
  18. DaBeard

DaBeard Member

19. raining threes

I'm just responding to your post.

I'm also asking if it's fair to compare the 2 GM's and look at their track records.

Obviously the answer is no IYO. Now let's get back to the fruitless is Correa going to re-sign or who is he going to sign with talk.

20. raining threes