1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is anyone else terrified of a win streak?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HROZ, Mar 31, 2021.

1. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Terrified, no longer.

#181 No Worries, Dec 2, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2021
    daywalker02 likes this.
  2. Denovo

Denovo Member

Winning with a young core is a good thing.

There is a big difference between being young with upside like Atlanta or Memphis and being stuck in mediocrity like Indiana.

If you can actually make the play in with a core age of 21, 19 ,19 and 25, do it with no hesitation.

Dobbizzle likes this.
  3. Corpusfan

Corpusfan Member

Terrified? No. If they're good enough to have a significant win streak, that's a good thing for the team. If they're not good enough to have a significant win streak, that's also a good thing for the team.

4. dmoneybangbang

Lol no…. We are barely winning and have only blown out OKC.

We will be back on the tank train soon enough.

5. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Yes I want another high draft pick. But we also need to see demonstrated progress with this team. This win streak is good for everyone. And no we are not in danger of killing our chances of a high draft pick. We are not that good yet. Happy to see the team progressing.

Dubious and Dobbizzle like this.
  6. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

Or, we can play sports the right way, instilling a competitive culture in our youth. You don't deliberately throw games and make everybody on the team want to leave or kill themselves with depression. We got Sengun at 16, is he **** because he wasn't a top 4 pick? Where was Jokic drafted? This notion that you only get good players with a top pick is ****ing idiotic tbh. Play to your best, every time, all the time. That's how sports works. If we draft 1st or 30th I don't give a flying ****, any team that deliberately throws games deserves no fans and to perpetually fail.

7. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

I'm glad u aren't part of upper management. Short term thinking like that where forcing meaningless wins just to miss the top picks is dumb as fk. Our team is clearly not good enough to make any noise in playoffs y deny the best chance to grab the best player in draft.

Not every draft we will hit a sengun type player at 16. There is no right way to play the game. Your suggestion Is basically pre harden days where we tried our best and literally went no where drafting at double digit.

This is our first time in years drafting so far up. Your odds of hitting a franchise altering player is greater at top 5.

U don't see a donic, at pick 16.

8. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Winning boosts morale around the team and inside the locker room. Let them enjoy it while they still can. Who knows what this team will look like after December 15th or after the trade deadline.

Corrosion likes this.
  9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

We have 4 rookies, 3 of which seem to be developing fine....we don't need another high draft pick....

DD

10. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I pull for the Rockets to win, or to execute winning plays that shows development. But I would be lying if I didn't say I want that guaranteed top 5 pick by being the worst team and to be honest, I'm not sure they're going to be that now.

Nick_713, Corrosion, Deckard and 5 others like this.
  11. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Need or want

Because I want Banchero

12. sydmill

sydmill Member

I am not terrified of a win streak. I dont think it is the wisest move out there but there is a benefit derived from guys actually winning some games. As i said last season, given the protections on their pick, the Rockets had to tank. This season is different. I want them to try and win games but I expect that they will lose a lot organically. If, after the all star break, they are a mile away from being competitive than I think it would be foolish to keep the vets to try and win games that only serve to depress their pick. If they are winning then the kids are progressing and that is the most important thing. But I still think the smart play is to get one more high pick this summer. The Rockets are truly fortunate to be rebuilding in years where there is actual talent in the draft.

Corrosion and Dobbizzle like this.
  13. clos4life

clos4life Member

Plodding center? Not how I describe Mobley, guards PGs all the way from the perimeter to the rim.

mikenm268 likes this.
  14. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

**** off mate, we're bad enough to lose without resorting to deliberately doing so. Just go play the lotto and quit watching sports, they're not for you.

15. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

While I agree that a top pick in next year's draft would be nice, there's also something to be said for instilling confidence and a winning culture among this current group of young players. Now, the real downside I see to winning right now is the fact that Jalen Green isn't a part of it. Hopefully he's watching, learning, and understanding the things he needs to work on to start contributing to team wins.

16. clos4life

clos4life Member

No guarantees of course, but I'm happy to have another roll of the dice on top talent.

17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

No, but Giannis was at 15th. I agree the American elite were mostly taken earlier.

You could get an international prospect with massive potential at that spot.

If you are lucky.

18. palmsnbananas

palmsnbananas Member

Best case scenario were like the 4-7 worst team and still get the number two pick!!

Corrosion likes this.
  19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I don't want that - if our Front office can't get the number 2 pick right, and I don't think they did, then I don't trust them to get another high pick right, would rather roll with the 4 rookies and young guys we are developing and add lower lottery picks to them.

DD

20. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Playing the Thunder a disproportionate amount of times has skewed our perception of this team, I think. :cool: