1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Alperen Sengun Experiment Is Over

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Zen Tabak, Nov 14, 2021.

1. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

the master of fluff has fluffed the fluff... nice job covering all the bases Iko...

2. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

aaquaa likes this.
  3. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

if silas were half offensive genius hes claimed to be hed make wood- sengun big lineup work... too bad the hype was just a hype....

i get it if avg cf member cant make 2 bigs lineup work or an average coach cant do it,
    but the offensive genius? lololoololoolol
    [​IMG]

aaquaa likes this.
  4. aaquaa

aaquaa Member

Thank you for the 50th time for this. I am all for having both of them on the floor for at least 15 minutes. They can both play inside and outside, so they won't be in each other's way.
    I can see our rebound, assist and block totals go way up:
    Sengun boxes out & Wood cleans.
    Sengun passes and Wood finishes.
    Sengun chases and Wood swats.
    Etc etc etc...
    I can't believe they never try this with so many possibilities!..
    Unless some teammates don't pass the ball to Sengun on purpose, they're showcasing Wood because they already cut his ticket, Silas is offended by being outcoached by a 19-yr-old, they need wins asap to keep up the morale and attendance, or they're simply waiting for Sengun to learn English.

CHAMPBOY, hakeem94 and jch1911 like this.
  5. conquistador#11

Silas on the Sengun experiment :
    [​IMG]

6. vator

vator Contributing Member

Maybe it is over. Only averaging 14.5 minutes over the 4 game winning streak.

aaquaa and xaos like this.
  7. xaos

xaos Member

Smdh

GotGame15 and AroundTheWorld like this.
  8. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

He's making those minutes count, picking up 4 fouls in his first 9 minutes tonight.

That's rookie Yao level of production.

Also, rebounding needs WORK. I think the last rebound he got was when the league gave him one to take away Porter's triple double despite playing for 10 minute-ish stretch tonight.

hongxingli and gfab-babyboi like this.
  9. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

There was a stretch in the 4th where the entire offense was running through Sengun, first with the bench players and then the starters until about 7 minutes left and Theis came back in.

The movement and cuts were beautiful, and I thought to myself that if this was what the future looked like then it looks very nice indeed

10. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

It’s ok to bring guys along slowly . Sengun came back strong tonight after a weak first half and lowered playing time.

I’m just happy to see him do well . I think we will try to move wood, but when you look at woods contract there aren’t great matches .

sengun and green and Garuba and JC should continue to come on stronger next season

11. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Let me throw a curve ball here.

Sengun is -6 tonight in a 4pt win. Looks bad, right? BUT, he had House on the floor the whole time he played. House is also -6. And he shot 1-6 with 4 TOs.

I think the question isn't why Sengun doesn't play more. The question is why House is playing so much.

12. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Why is this guy so miserable?

Squirtle likes this.
  13. xaos

xaos Member

Rockets shooting themselves in the foot trying to help House's nonexistent trade value

Easy, aaquaa, hakeem94 and 6 others like this.
  14. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Well Sengun played bad in the first half. But he was instrumental in the comeback with Christopher in the 4th.

He like other rookies does do dumb frustrating things like rotating wrong, or committing random fouls out of frustration

Easy and D-rock like this.
  15. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Yeah I noticed this too. It's not just House though, he also has to share the floor with Christopher. And I'm not trying to crap on him, he's only 19, and he does a lot of good things, but he just NEVER sees Sengun. I see Sengun constantly have open lobs, get open under the basket, or get in a great spot after a roll to the basket and his teammates can just never find him, it's so frustrating. I think he could be averaging like twice as many points if his teammates could just hit him with timely passes in these spots and it would lead to a lot of easy buckets.

Easy, aaquaa, hakeem94 and 2 others like this.
  16. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Josh also didn't see Garuba...

17. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

There were also moments where OKC's entire offense was running through Sengun as well. :D

SamFisher and aaquaa like this.
  18. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

So Wood get's injured and Sengun plays less.... Just amazing. Especially when your "pg" also gets injured. At that point Sengun is the best play maker by far. He can and does create for others.

We do not need to win we need to develop our young players, and we do that by actually playing them, And so far Sengun has shown the most promise. I understand not playing Christopher and Garuba many minutes. But not playing Sengun is just mind boggling. Yes, he is not perfect. He fouls to much, and is not a good 1 on 1 defender (although he is a good team defender) but the best way to improve is to play.

Another thing that annoys me is that Sengun is best used when the offense goes through him and he plays with players that move and make smart cuts, but he often has to play with players like house that just are not smart. Also why let House or christopher go one on four when you have Sengun in the game. You see that Sengun plays well with ves like Gordon or Augustine.

19. Sean Dr34ms

Sean Dr34ms Member

Sengun could easily be a 10/8/5 guy if he got 25 minutes every night.

aaquaa likes this.
  20. D-rock

D-rock Member

25 minutes is tough when he collects 4 fouls in 9 minutes.

But at this point just play him until he fouls out.