1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off-Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Nov 3, 2021.

1. CinematicFusion

MLB fans think Correa is one of the biggest cheaters of all time. It is what it is. It’s his legacy, will never go away.
    So, if he had a bad year or gets hurt early in his contract. Teams like the Dodgers and Yankees(if he signs with them) will unleash unholy hell on him the likes few players outside Philadelphia have seen. This is a fact. Many of these fans want to hate him.

On the other hand, Correa averages .280 with 30 bombs a year and all is forgiven.

The Beard likes this.
  2. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Na, the rangers are their own bucket of crap

Elienator likes this.
  3. jim1961

jim1961 Member

So far, we have lost Greinke, Y. Garcia, Raley and Graveman and added JV and Neris.

https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/free-agents/houston-astros/

Hope Click isn't through clicking because if spring training started tomorrow, I would say we have a net loss here. But fortunately, the off-season isn't over yet although transactionally, it on hold.

How much more (when he is allowed to) do you all think Click will do?

4. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Sure, that's what fans think but not players or front offices.

Even the Yankees and Dodgers would jump for joy to add Correa.

I just don't know how Correa could play for all those fans that spewed venom at him and his "brothers" ( his word) making all road trips miserable.

5. right1

right1 Member

That is the projected arb # from mlb trade rumors. Mariners paid him $2.1M in '21. I'm not sure how they're getting that # after he had such a bad year. They suggested the Astros would only sign him if he agreed to less. He first broke into the majors in '14 and has pitched 288 innings in the bigs to a tune of a 5.18 ERA and a 1.56 WHIP.

6. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Spring training doesn't start tomorrow.

7. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I would like to see the Astros make a blockbuster deal with Oakland.

It would work because they are looking for young, pre arbitration major league ready talent rather than top prospects. And they have traded within the division often.

(MLB pipeline team prospect rank)

We send; Abreu, Yainer Diaz(#13), Ivey(#12), Taylor Jones, , Kessinger(#23), McCormick Joe Perez(#9), and Urquidy

For Andrus, Bassitt, Laureano, and Olson.

Abreu is talented but out of options and just part of a crowd.

Urquidy gives them a solid SP not yet arb eligible and Ivey adds pitching depth for 6 years.

Yainer Diaz is a good catching prospect but buried behind Kerey Lee

Taylor Jones gives them a pre arbitration first baseman

Kessinger is nearly MLB ready and can fill in at SS for Andrus

McCormick gives them a young starting outfielder to replace Laureano.

Joe Perez gives them a good young 3b/1b prospect.

Andrus has full no trade rights, so could block it. And they need to keep his PA under 550 or else he gers a $15 mil option for 2023 but he is a good bridge and insurance for Pena in 2022.

Bassitt is a better rotation piece than Urquidy ( as much as I like him) and slides in as #3 or #4 starter.

Laureano can be a solid CF or 4th OF who has a fiery attitude that this team is missing. Not a FA until 2025.

Olson is the prize. They simply must extend him if they make this deal but he takes over at 1B 2022 and 2023 with Yuli being a top utility guy in his final season.

What do you think?

8. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Seeing Brooks Raley get 2/$10M, maybe $3M isn't that insane.

prospecthugger and Nook like this.
  9. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

That prospect package is laughable. Urquidy is a good trade chip with real value. Perez, Abreu, McCormick, and Diaz are secondary pieces. Kessinger and Jones have very little trade value. That entire package might get one of either Laureano or Bassitt but Olson is a superstar level hitter; he is going to require multiple elite prospects. To acquire 3 star level players with a combined 6 years of control you’re looking at a massive prospect haul. Something like Pena, Leon, Urquidy, and Brown, and even that probably wouldn’t do it.

SWTsig, travfrancis and IdStrosfan like this.
  10. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I guess I have the typical fans view of trade value.

I'll work on that.

Thanks

11. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

It’s not bad logic and it’s all about the fun of speculating/discussion/playing fantasy GM. That’s why this site exists. And my opinion certainly isn’t the end all be all.

Madmanmetz, jiggyfly and IdStrosfan like this.
  12. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

If Olson is the prize, why are you adding two mediocre everyday players and a soon-to-be 33-year old pitcher with, I believe, one year of club-control left? Seems like an awful lot of chair-shuffling for a minimal ROI.

ETA: I would much rather give Pena and McCormick/Meyers/Siri those spots and spend that $ elsewhere.

Also, they've locked in a F/T 1B and DH for '22 so where is Olson going to play? I would love to see the Astros be aggressive upgrading positions - and 1B is a prime one, for me. But unless they can flip Yuli, I don't see Olson as a fit.

IdStrosfan likes this.
  13. Marteen

Marteen Member

14. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I still think there could be a deal there.

How about we replace Abreu, and McCormick with Santos(#6) and Whitaker (#8)?

That gives them a couple young major leaguers plus our #6, #8, #9, #12, #13, and #23 prospects.

Olson is the prize, sure, but all 4 of the players serve a purpose in my opinion.

Andrus serves as insurance and a mentor for Pena. Plus taking the salary makes Oakland more likely to do the deal.

As much as I like Urquidy, he is a #4/#5 starting pitcher. Adding Bassitt improves the rotation even if just for one season. And the salary/control difference is a big reason Oakland makes the deal.

Laureano is a fiery passionate player. This team has lacked vocal passion since George left and even More so now that Carlos is gone.

I was thinking Oakland would be looking for MLB ready players to replace them =Urquidy, Jones, McCormick, and Kessinger ( as close as we have for shortstop other than Pena.)

Plus a few mid-level (#9-13) prospects

I guess I would need to swap a couple of those guys out with top 10 prospects to have a realistic shot.

#1614 IdStrosfan, Dec 1, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2021
  15. raining threes

Just look at all of the players he added to the Stros he inherited. It was hardly luck. Even the Aiken, Bregs thing wasn't luck. Aiken was supposed to be the next Kershaw. Luhnow and company did their due diligence and backed off when they got the test results. That's smart, not luck.

IdStrosfan likes this.
  16. Htown Legend

Htown Legend Member

17. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

This.

Tactful and succinct.

crose likes this.
  18. Htown Legend

Htown Legend Member

Interesting. Renfroe was a big piece of Boston’s success this season. I wonder if there will be a small flurry of moves before the lockout starts in a couple hours.

Jackie Bradley Jr back to Boston attached with the number 16 and 17 Milwaukee prospects to get off JBJ salary.

another bullet we dodged.

#1618 Htown Legend, Dec 1, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2021
    HTown2017Champs likes this.
  19. H-Town Info

H-Town Info Member

Why the F did Boston did that deal? Renfroe had a solid season and JBJ stinks and a bad contract

raining threes likes this.
  20. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

We can't all be reviled by journalists but it is a worthy goal.

Wulaw Horn and raining threes like this.