1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can former Rocket Eric Gordon and the Suns bounce back against the Timberwolves? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[Official] Astros Off-Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Nov 3, 2021.

1. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Maybe they feel good about the adjustments they made with him before he got hurt. Small sample size with the Astros....

6 IP, 3 H, 0 ER, 2 BB, 5 K, 0.00 ERA, .833 WHIP, 2.50 FIP

2. awc713

awc713 Member

3. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

In 2019 and 2020 combined, he had a WHIP a hair under 1.00 and better than 10 K/9 over about 50 innings. That’s what got him the closer job in Seattle to start the season.

A Mariners fan site had an interesting article on him - he may not have been as good in 2021 as he was in 19/20, but he also wasn’t as bad as the numbers seemed to suggest. https://www.lookoutlanding.com/2021...onsidering-rafael-montero-unlucky-batted-ball

I view Montero similarly to how I viewed last year’s Ryne Stanek signing - upside is a legit setup man while downside is a DFA candidate. Maybe they have a handshake arb agreement already in place for 2 million or so?

Starters (5): JV, LMJ, Framber, Luis Garcia and 1 of Urquidy/Odorizzi/Javier

Bullpen Locks (7): Pressly, Neris, Stanek, Maton, Urquidy/Odorizzi/Javier, Baez, Blake Taylor or other lefty,

That leaves 1slots up for grabs + injuries for: Urquidy/Odorizzi/Javier, Montero, Enoli Paredes, Bryan Abreu, Josh James, or any of the other minor leaguers (Solomon, Dubin, etc.)

Injuries will happen, but either roster consolidation is on the way, Montero is beloved by Click and co., or they’re willing to burn a couple million on a potential DFA candidate.

Htown Legend likes this.
  4. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The 30k millionaire way!:cool:

awc713 likes this.
  5. raining threes

I like a win at all costs GM, it's why the Stros are where they're at today. I also dont care much for the media and do thinking for myself.

The truth can sometimes be irritating.

jklb and Wulaw Horn like this.
  6. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

I loved luhlow but I do think he got lucky a few times and missed quite a bit too
    He missed on 2 draft picks big time, the Gomez trade was horrific and he let go of/traded some great players esp Martinez and Hernandez
    He got lucky bc I don't think he was going to trade for jv but then got pushed into a corner with Dallas calling the out.
    He also inherited altuve, Dallas and I think maybe even Springer.
    Great moves were drafting Correa, lmj and hiring Strom who turned some low risk moves into gold like with Presley.

7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Given how the Cole trade turned out (both his performance, and the pirates getting almost nothing from the prospects he traded to them), that was pound for pound one of his best trades ever.

Signing Yuli and Brantley also paid off big time.

and even though the Verlander trade was completed late, those prospects also haven’t really amounted to much.

And now we are seeing the benefits of the international scouting they oversaw in Garcia, Framber, Urquiddy.

he certainly got much better at being a MLB GM after the Gomez trade, and the overall results speak for themselves. Rare that a team gets top level results from every category (amateur draft, international FA, domestic FA, trades).

8. IslandB.O.I.

IslandB.O.I. Member

9. Squirtle

Squirtle Member

Eh, it's something. Kinda.

Nook likes this.
  10. Squirtle

Squirtle Member

LOL.

11. awc713

awc713 Member

I don’t see the scandal as a deterrent to Correa getting his big contract…if anything it’s just not the best market for him given the teams who need SS right now. Maybe he should’ve signed with the Rangers on whatever their offer was…kind of crazy that Seager inked a decade deal and Correa may have to fall back on a shorter deal. Maybe a 5/6 year deal with opt outs after 1st and 3rd year can get it done?

12. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

He made a previous comment that he thinks Houston will sign either Story or Correa. Surprising and interesting.

Squirtle likes this.
  13. J.R.

J.R. Member

MILWAUKEE -- After blazing a trail for the Brewers, Sara Goodrum is leaving the organization to become one of the highest-ranking female executives in baseball as director of player development for the Houston Astros.

Neither team has announced the move, but it was communicated internally to Brewers staffers this week and two sources confirmed Houston’s hire. It’s not the first time Goodrum has made news for a promotion; she was 27 in January when the Brewers elevated her from their sports science department to roving Minor League hitting coordinator, a promotion believed to make her the first woman in baseball history to fill that job.

Goodrum, who played Division I softball at the University of Oregon before getting a master’s degree in exercise and sports science from the University of Utah, had an extensive portfolio in her most recent job with the Brewers. She oversaw the hitting program throughout the organization, managed hitting coaches at the team’s affiliates and traveled around the system to assist in player instruction, including a stint with the big league club in Milwaukee at the end of the regular season.

"We weren't guessing when we gave her that title,” former Brewers Major League hitting coach Andy Haines said. “It wasn't a token title by any means. Sara's really good. She's talented. She has a great way about her and a lot to offer."

#1593 J.R., Dec 1, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2021
    JeeberD, jiggyfly, mikol13 and 6 others like this.
  14. Elienator

Elienator Member

That falls into the Correa wanted to take his time bucket.

15. Htown Legend

Htown Legend Member

That’s pretty badass

16. H-Town Info

H-Town Info Member

Let's goooooo

mightybosstone and MadMax like this.
  17. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Unfortunately when it comes to the Astros, Buster talks out of his ass more often than not.

Nook likes this.
  18. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Looks like the tweet was taken down? Who said what?

19. IslandB.O.I.

IslandB.O.I. Member

Terry is still there. Olney says that in his reading of the market he thinks Correa’s best offer will come from the Astros.

The Beard likes this.
  20. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I'm trying to figure how arbitration numbers are calculated that would possibly pay him that much.