1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If Sengun gets more minutes, where do they come from?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by harold bingo, Nov 25, 2021.

?

If Sengun gets more minutes, where do they come from?

1. Play him with Wood, figure out how to make two bigs work

31 vote(s)
    30.7%
  2. Take minutes away from Wood, more Sengun at the 5 with no other big

19 vote(s)
    18.8%
  3. A combination of the two options above

43 vote(s)
    42.6%
  4. I don't think he needs more minutes

4 vote(s)
    4.0%
  5. I have another idea, which I will post in the thread

4 vote(s)
    4.0%
  1. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

The Bucks were a mean 6-16 from midrange per game in the NBA Finals for 38%. They were 11-31 for 34% from 3.

Checks out. I'll take any and all of your bets going forward.

Tuckankhamun, HP3 and cmoak1982 like this.
  2. gfab-babyboi

gfab-babyboi Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

They took 16 which the Suns had to defend (Middleton) and they won the ring … Rockets don’t even shoot 5 a game .. proves my point

3. Tuckankhamun

Tuckankhamun Member

Considering their horrendous percentages from mid-range (38%), more likely the suns defense forced them into these shots late in the clock.

D-rock and cmoak1982 like this.
  4. gfab-babyboi

Supporting Member

or you could of watched the game … and actually know and not guess

5. juanming

juanming Member

Well looks like nobody answered the op's question correctly.

The answer to the op's question is god.

Let's say for the sake of argument that Silas or Jeff Van Gundy or any other coach gives sengun some minutes. Where did that coach come from? Who put the voice in the coaches head to put sengun into the game? Who created human beings? Who created Rockets basketball and our city and our televisions to watch the team? You think the Japanese created everything because they make Electronics? No. The answer is simply God.

Have a nice day

In fact the answer to everything in your life or anybody else's life is God.

Why did you get married how come you can't get laid how come the Rockets are terrible how come your girlfriend cheat on you with five men while you're at work? How come you keep getting fatter??

God

6. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I feel that both sides of the 3pt debate are shooting over each other's head.

The 3pt crowd points out the simple math efficiency. The midrange crowd points out the winning teams that shoot midrange. Neither side's argument negates the other side's.

The fact is, you need to create open 3pt shots for the most part. But you need the midrange to keep the defense honest.

When the opponent is defending your 3s well and the shot clock is running down, you have a choice of shooting an extremely low percentage off balanced contended 3 or shoot a fairly (but not extremely) low percentage midrange. In those situations, the simple efficiency math doesn't apply because the 3pt shot you take is nowhere near the normal 3pt%. If the opponent knows that you almost never shoot midrange, they can put all their defensive focus on making your 3pt shot difficult and you have nothing to counter.

D-rock likes this.
  7. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

The only issue with this being close outs to the 3 point line open up lanes to the basket. It literally spreads the floor out. Far better than midrange shots

D-rock and Tuckankhamun like this.
  8. Tuckankhamun

Tuckankhamun Member

If the Bucks were running their offense to generate mid-range looks and only shot 38%, then they won in spite of their offense.
    The Bucks won that finals because nobody could do anything on offense against them. Didn't hurt that they had a nearly 30% OREB rate, compared to the suns 17%.
    Giannis can keep up with the fastest guards on the 3-point line and brick-wall the biggest centers on the block. Ayton and Booker looked like children against him.

9. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I’m not even against midrange shots, I believe if you can shoot, shoot. But in today’s game if you can’t shoot the 3, you can’t compete.

Tuckankhamun and D-rock like this.
  10. SamFisher

Yeah no this is just both sidesing and, well, wrong.

If you look at the trend lines from about when this debate started - maybe a decade or two ago - it's insanely clear in terms of how the league has gravitated. 10 years ago when we started arguing this the average team took 18 3s a game. It's now up to 36!

Even the midrangers favorite tactic of "see this one good team here takes some mid-range shots" fails because even the most anti-midrange, pro 3 team from back then would be hailed as a throwback mid-range squad today.

Even if there's a few holdouts here it's pretty clear wherr those with skin in the game went.

#130 SamFisher, Nov 30, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2021
  11. SamFisher

They took about twice as many which they had to defend from deep and got 3x as many points from them. But yeah, sure, it was important in the holistic sense.

Honestly ascending mount mid-range leads to some real strange places. You're always arguing that the empirically smaller thing is more important than the empirically greater thing in every conceivable context based on no evidence.

D-rock likes this.
  12. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

May get the Rockets pinstripes throwback jersey. Which player should I get ?

Sengun
    Green
    ?

cmoak1982 likes this.
  13. gfab-babyboi

Supporting Member

My whole argument is to keep defenses honest the threat of taking the midrange shots has to be there - not that they need to be the majority

Rockets best season was with CP3 midrange and Harden floaters … they stepped up and it caused lobs to Capela… when teams know you won’t shoot them … it makes you easier to defend (especially in playoffs)

but folks don’t read to comprehend they read to argue

14. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Folks don’t read to comprehend? That’s a two way street my friend. You can’t assume you’re right and everyone else is wrong.

15. SamFisher

Yeah but so what? The best offensive season the Rockets ever produced was 2019. I think it was 3rd or 4th best all time (though last year a bunch of teams broke it)

They took 4.8 mid range shots per game - one of the lowest ever recorded, i think. Way lower than 2017 with no CP3 (7)

Now, i guess you can argue that those 4.8 kept the defense honest. But, for any quantity where midrange > 0, the midrangers will always make this argument, but like i said - the trend lines here overall are pretty clear.

16. gfab-babyboi

Supporting Member

That's you, I proven my point .... instead of trying to understand it, you try and nitpick stats to fit your narrative which was then disproven by shot charts.

17. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

And you just proved you aren’t interested in learning. You haven’t proven anything, the numbers say you are clearly not correct. There’s really no way to go around that.

18. gfab-babyboi

Supporting Member

Trend Lines? You missing the whole point

19. gfab-babyboi

Supporting Member

Watch winning basketball....you act like Im advocating for long 2's ...and thats the biggest problem...like I said my point has been proven...hell its being proven in the NETS / KNICKS game currently

#139 gfab-babyboi, Nov 30, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2021
  20. SamFisher

You don't have to nitpick stats - when you aggregate them, the league wide trend to a paint &3s scenario is just absolutely undeniable over the last 10-15 years.

Every little fluctuation gets hailed as "the midrange is back", but on average it's just not.

Again as long as midrange theoretically exists you can always wave your hands and point to its influence but, who cares? I'd prefer to focus on what's actually happening

cmoak1982 likes this.