1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mark Berman: Astros offering Carlos Correa a 5 year/160 million dollar contract

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by DaBeard, Nov 6, 2021.

1. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

So.... 75% of MLB, LOL?

To me, the viable candidates are: Astros, Yankees, Phillies, Angels, Mariners. They can offer success + money.

The dark horse may very well be the Mets, who seem unhinged.

I really don't see any other team being able to offer him the two things he wants.

2. Elienator

Elienator Member

Money talks when the difference is tens of millions or more.

Any team willing to spend what it takes on quality players is probably a reasonable sign they have some shot of winning over the next 10 years.

awc713 likes this.
  3. Hey Now!

Why would the Dodgers pay Correa $300MM - or whatever - when they have Turner and Lux? They certainly can, obviously. But it doesn't feel like a smart allocation of resources, knowing they need pitching.

4. Elienator

Elienator Member

Mostly because they just lost Seager and they have shown willingness to spend big. The remaining free agent pitching options are getting thin and trades are a way to get pitching as well.

5. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

They’d probably have been more aggressive with Seager if they didn’t already have Turner ready to go.

The Dodgers also still make some rational decisions… they’re not just going to bid on everybody like the Mets are or spend just to spend like the Rangers are. They still have a quality farm system, they still are a force in the international market, and will devote resources to all phases of team building which will keep them in the hunt every year.

Angels or Mets would be the most likely options to give Correa the most money.

Elienator likes this.
  6. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

The remaining impact or semi impact bats will be interesting to follow - story, Chris Taylor, bryant, anyone else? (I’m assuming freeman returns to ATL). So long as there remain less expensive/shorter duration options, I think Correa has to keep waiting and the market continues to shrink.

it’s hard to guess which is more likely: 300+/10 or 7/250ish w Astros with opt out after 2 years. Honestly I think it’s even money.

7. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Could the Tigers pull a Rangers-like move and add 2 guys? Baez has played a lot of 2B.

I'd be shocked to see Correa with the Dodger/Yankees/Phillies. I always figured Trevor Story would end up in Philly. The Dodgers/Yankees don't need a SS, but that hasn't stopped those organizations before from making big splashes.

Giants & Cubs are the big markets with plenty of payroll flexibility. Angels could still fit him in under the Luxury cap. Will Derek Jeter look to make a splash? The Diamondbacks did it once with Greinke, so we know the owner has been willing to spend money in the past. The Nationals have paid Strasburg and Corbin big contracts, but I doubt they'd make another big deal rather than trying to retain Soto when he hits FA, granted by then Corbin will be off the books, so they'd have space.

8. Hey Now!

Generally, the teams offering outrageous, market-shattering contracts are... not good. Exhibit A: the Texas Rangers. Correa has built his brand on winning. I just don't see him chasing paychecks.

I could be wrong - and, you're right: money talks. But I would be shocked if he ended up on a team like the Rangers.

Again, most teams paying that kind of money are not good at developing talent and are desperate to get better.

9. Nook

Nook Member

Don't rule out the Mets.... it sounds absurd with their spending and Lindor, but it is something that the Astros are aware of.... the Mets have at least kicked the tires.

10. Hey Now!

Have they, though? They've watched two pretty significant free agents leave already.

If they were willing to pay Correa ~10/$300+ - why didn't they just offer that to Seager? Again, I'm spitting into the wind here - but I don't think they're in on Correa at all. They have to replace Schrezer, possibly Kershaw and May won't be ready to start the season. They need pitching and have an elite SS already.

The Beard and everyday eddie like this.
  11. Hey Now!

The Mets seem unhinged - and I wouldn't necessarily count the Tigers out, either. Unlikely but I don't think Baez knocks them out.

Nook likes this.
  12. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Agreed and mentioned earlier.

They’re paying an ace pitcher 43+ million dollars a year for 3 years… at that point, if they’re not trying to win it all costs, then they’re wasting everybody’s time and money.

Their new owner wants to be as aggressive as possible now. That may change if/when this all fails and the team finances are in shambles (despite his huge net worth), but for now this is all Monopoly money for him.

13. Major

Major Member

If it's anything you know/can share, do you get the sense that the Astros still think they have a shot at Correa? Or do you get the sense they've moved on?

14. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

MLB history is littered with teams that spent big and never won.

And yes, for a large large large majority of these guys they will just go where the biggest offer comes from

It's certainly possible that Correa is a little different though. Certainly he has been vocal about the fact that he expects big big money and long terms....but he does come across as that guy that isn't going to go to certain places. I have no doubt he made the comments on Jeter to let the Yankees know he has no interest in playing for them.

15. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

[​IMG]
    Who doesn't want to pay Correa?

16. Marteen

Marteen Member

Genuinely curious what a guy like Elon Musk, if he was an MLB team owner, would spend in an offseason.

17. The Beard

So let a guy who was WS MVP for your team go to give that much or more money to a guy who is absolutely HATED by your fan base, and to a lesser extent some of your players?

18. The Beard

Would Lindor be willing to change positions? Cause if you sign Correa you are extremely likely to be using him at SS, and i'm not sure he would sign with someone who is planning on moving him

19. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Successful businessmen don’t invest in ventures where they would possibly lose money…. Even if they were the biggest fans on the planet.

Cohen is going to run the Mets to make profits. Sure, these guys are in better position to withstand short-term losses, as the team is not their sole source of income, but the thought process that billionaires just give blank checks out to sports teams is a fallacy.

Most of the big market teams have huge budgets/operating revenue based solely on their media deals. Owners aren’t having to put a dime of their own net worth into the day to day budget. And at the end of the day, any of these owners could cash out and typically sell the team for more than what they paid. They’ll never lose money.

jiggyfly likes this.
  20. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

For $350-400 million dollars, I’m sure they’d figure it out. Lindor and him are close… PR legends. Both hungry to win.

In the shift era, there are more than enough times where the 3B is the SS, and vice versa. That’s exposed Bregman more than enough to show that he can’t be a full time short stop.