1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How good is Tate?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by fattz, Feb 18, 2021.

1. txtodd

txtodd Member

Tate should get no more minutes than his 3pt % going into the game

2. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

He is a forever role player, but a good one. He won’t start for a contender, but he is valuable contributor to any team and above average for our current phase of development.

abaker28 and DaDakota like this.
  3. Bo6

Bo6 Member

No love for his 15 PT / 8 Ast/ 6 Reb / 0 TO game.

Corrosion, Rashmon, saleem and 2 others like this.
  4. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

Of course not, didn't you know Tate is over 19 and been in the league more than a year? We have to trade him for a 1st round pick immediately. Next year if Sengun or Green gets good we'll need to do the same with them, we need to make sure we tank and just have 1st round picks in a spin cycle forever. /clutchfanslogic

cmlmel77, Denovo, fattz and 5 others like this.
  5. subtomic

subtomic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I like Tate a lot but recognize that without a reliable 3pt shot, his days as a starter should be numbered. If this team could get a strong 3 and D at the small or power forward spot, then that person should take Tate's starting role.

However, anyone who replaces him needs to be a much more reliable shooter. So all the calls for replacing him in the starting lineup with Martin are crazy. Martin is barely a better 3pt shooter (I think the stats I saw indicated 29% for Martin vs 26% for Tate) and he's a much inferior rebounder, passer and defender. Plus, Martin has looked like hot garbage the last few games - right now he's a largely ineffective 6'5 leaper who's only offense is open dunks or set threes.

All this being said, everyone on this team shoots way too many threes from the elbows (and nobody hits them from there at a particularly good rate). So maybe the 3P% would go up for Martin and Tate if we limited them to corner threes (like we mostly did for PJ and Battier)

saleem likes this.
  6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

He is our junkyard dog!

Mario Elie part 2.

DD

abaker28, fattz, sydmill and 3 others like this.
  7. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

And the crazy thing is that people are acting like he's peaked and it's only his second season in the league. Dude has potential to be a top-tier defender, has a nice inside game, especially when he plays a physical game and only really would need to add a consistent corner 3 to be perennial starter caliber in his second season. People are actually insane with how much they underrate quality players and then hype up garbage on this board.

Clutchfans: John Wall and Russell Westbrook are garbage tier players who've never positively impacted games (despite one averaging over 10 assists a game in multiple seasons and the other averaging triple doubles - 2 of a VERY small list of players to average 10 assists a game in the last decade, we were lucky to have 2 of the others too.)

Also Clutchfans: Motiejunas and Hartenstein are great players.

Non-insane people: Clutchfans is full of idiots.

Bo6 and vlaurelio like this.
  8. dmoneybangbang

Tate is a super role player and won’t be getting the type of contract Wood will be getting unless he takes a leap forward.

9. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

My favorite part of his game is the driving defense. When he strips someone going at the basket it has the same immediate effect as a blocked shot. It may even have a little of that lasting impact in the offense's mind that maybe they can't drive so easily. It's kind of a 'driving is a trap' poison pill.

Corrosion likes this.
  10. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Super-duper-insane people with narcissism: I'm special and everyone else is dumb. Also, I never listen to anyone else's point because why would I? I'm special.

Corrosion and fattz like this.
  11. Bo6

Bo6 Member

this is what irks me a lot about the current ideas about our roster construction. People seem to think we need to cash in on EVERY asset we have and that no player above the age of 25 is worth keeping.

I mean good gosh, it's like no player in history ever improved after 25 (cough Steve Nash). Just take a look at where Tate has been the past 3 years. Do you think after fighting tooth and nail in places like Belgium and Australia, he might feel a little more comfortable working on his weaknesses after signing a guaranteed contract for the first time in his life? That has to count for something.

Anyways I love this guy and hope he can work on that corner 3. If he does, he will be a REALLY nice player on a great contract. No he will not be an all-star but he could get serious minutes on many contending teams right now IMO.

D-rock, fattz and Dobbizzle like this.
  12. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

He's EXACTLY the type of player a good team needs. He's scrappy, he can stand toe to toe against most guys without getting bullied around, and he can play a little bully ball himself. He's a glue guy. Different play style but he's just like a Battier, Tucker, Ariza, Artest level guy at his peak. We might be lucky enough to get his entire prime and if he peaks in a year or 2 and develops a good 3 whilst being more consistent I'd like him in our core for a long time. He might not always start depending on what other personnel we have or how our youngsters develop (if KJ ever really put his game together for example, he could be one of those starters who borders on all-star for a couple years so you might start somebody like that) but he can be one of those grit guys who steadily produce night in and night out. I'd much rather keep him than let him run around being a journeyman, let him build a legacy here.

13. Bo6

Bo6 Member

Wow not a single person even posted his stat line from the game the other night?

32 PTS / 10 REB / 7 AST / 5 BLK / 2 STL

I know half of ya'll still want to trade him for a late 1st but comon dude is a baller.

14. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Not impressed. Porter scored 50 points and dished out 11 assists in one game.

Seriously, you guys need to stop hyping a dude after one great game.

wlekfjv923n likes this.
  15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

If he could get his shooting to 33% at least, it would be very helpful.

wlekfjv923n and fattz like this.
  16. J.R.

J.R. Member

17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

If he gets a 3pt shot, and no reason he can't he will be a very good starting power small forward.

DD

hakeem94, Hank McDowell, Bo6 and 2 others like this.
  18. D-rock

D-rock Member

Tate stat line has not been seen in Houston since some rando named Olajuwon.

And his assists have gone orbital since the 2 big line up was scrapped.

Bo6 likes this.
  19. D-rock

D-rock Member

20. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

I love the guy, even without a three pointer, but if he could develop one? Dude could be a star...

D-rock and DreamShook like this.