1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mark Berman: Astros offering Carlos Correa a 5 year/160 million dollar contract

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by DaBeard, Nov 6, 2021.

1. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

I'm not piling on you b/c like I said- I thought this was fine as a post and I probably misspoke a bit when I said it would be weird if he didn't get that 10/300 as a minimum, but yeah- it was always going to be an upset if he didn't get to 300 million and I said as much.
    Back on another website I've been predicting for 6 years now that Carlos Correa's total career compensation will start with a 4 and be 9 figures.
    That might be a bit aggressive as to where it ends up but if I missed it will be just barely.

2. AznH-TownFan

AznH-TownFan Member

Maybe I don’t follow the Dodgers much but I didn’t think Seager was good enough to warrant a 10 year contract, let alone $325M. But hey, all he need is 1 team to like him. Good for him.

3. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

We've speculated all along a team like the Rangers would have to pay a premium to lure a big FA.

But I continue to look at the market and wonder what team is going to be able to offer Correa $300MM + deep October runs...

Milos likes this.
  4. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

5. Chilly_Pete

Chilly_Pete Contributing Member

Mariners possibly in a few years or sooner.

6. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

Do Phillies have room under LT to give Correa big money?

7. Elienator

Elienator Member

Feel free to pile on. I was not expecting the Rangers to sign another SS and took the Semien deal to indicate they were not interested in a Seager/Correa type of contract. I think my analysis was reasonable, but based on the wrong assumption about what the Rangers were doing.

Nook likes this.
  8. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Yes

9. Gimmmethemike

Gimmmethemike Member

no they don’t

10. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

I am not praising them, but a .500 team with expanded playoffs will get butts in seats.

Rockets FTW likes this.
  11. Elienator

Elienator Member

He’s a little better than Correa offensively, but only average defensively. His skillset should theoretically age a little better and he’s left handed. I think the consensus heading into the off-season is he would get a slightly smaller contract than Correa also in the 10/300M range.

Wulaw Horn likes this.
  12. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

What expanded playoffs??

13. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

Does anyone want Crane to offer correa $320/10 years? I hate losing the guy, but that’s bonkers.

14. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

They are currently projected $39M under the threshold by Cots.

15. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Look- nobody had CC not as getting the biggest contract in FA. If he doesn’t equal or surpass that deal it will be because he played it wrong. Which could happen I suppose. This brings Lindors deal in range for CC if that’s the market for Seager

16. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Nick likes this.
  17. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

The bigger the change, the less likely to see it happen. Not without a renegotiation of National tv rights and larger % of playoff revenue going towards overall salaries.

This does benefit the owners significantly if it goes through… which means they’ll likely have to concede something of major value to the players (earlier free agency?).

18. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

I think owners will increase pay to pre arb players and arb players. I doubt they will go for earlier free agency.

The universal DH and expanded playoffs will happen.

19. Milos

Milos Member

I think they will sign Bryant
    They need help at 3B and LF
    His boy Bryce will lobby hard for him
    And his expected deal ( $100-150M ) fits much better under LuxTax with Harper, Wheeler, JT deals and Nola due next year

20. Major

Major Member

Certainly - but they don't have the luxury of a huge cheap core like the Astros did. So if they want to get competitive without waiting until 2027, this is their option. If the players suck in 3 years, of course it fails - but they are making a bet that these are two guys they can build around, and then they fill in the other pieces later. It's better to take a shot at some point than just be eternally mediocre or just signing a free agent here and there but not doing enough to really make a difference. They had money, they saw players they liked, and they made their move. We'll see how it goes.