1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Christian Wood expected to get "significant trade interest"

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Nov 29, 2021.

1. BonziWellsGOAT

They def might do it for Wiseman but I think they have high long term hopes for Kuminga and I am def not doing a Wiseman only deal. Kuminga will be a tough get I suspect

2. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

None of us expect the team to be better in the short term with all the rookies. But, in this case, trading Wood is literally the only sensible thing to do for the long term future of the team. Our options are this:

1. trade him by the deadline for value
    2. lose him in unrestricted free agency for nothing in a year and a half (which is most likely since he would be unlikely to wish to return to a team that has been in the lottery for three seasons straight at that point)
    3. re-sign him to a max contract when he is not a max player.

#102 Williamson, Nov 29, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2021
    Der Rabbi and Corrosion like this.
  3. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Wood is a high value player. He brings a skill set that very, very few players around the league can match. If you trade him, you better get back a haul.

4. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

If you look at my posts from last summer, I always liked the Theiss signing because cap-wise, he was basically free. I didn't like him as a player but if we can flip him for a second, it's still worth it for the free second. Just had to put up with his play for a few months and got a free second with some bonus mentorship on the side. Sounds like we can get something for him. Bulls would love to have him.

fattz and BallaDoc like this.
  5. MystikArkitect

Anyone who wants to keep Wood and pay him should probably stop watching basketball.

Kings, 76ers, Warriors, and Hawks should all be interested.

fattz and Rudyc281 like this.
  6. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Think?

LOL.
    Why would Simmons be a good idea?

Why would Toronto want Wall?

None of these guys are better than Siakim, a weird trade idea.

7. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Blancheros sounds like a taco bell value meal option.

Htown Legend and cmoak1982 like this.
  8. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Wood for Cam Reddish

KPJ
    Green
    Reddish
    Tate
    Chet

javal_lon likes this.
  9. Williamson

Does Atlanta need a center? Wood thrives at the 5 and Capela is one of their best players. They have John Collins too. Seems like they'd be one of the last teams to be interested.

10. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Damn, guess I shouldn't watch the game tonight. I thought a 26yr old 6'10 PF/C who's avg a double double and who's only played one full NBA season was worth keeping.

11. Mathloom

Mathloom Contributing Member

I said we should wait and with the way things are playing out I'm leaning towards keeping him. He can develop, and if he's already averaging great box score stats then I'm optimistic that experience will add to his winning habits. As far as skill he's got everything he needs already to be a 3rd scorer on a contender.

Just passing and team defense. If we give him to Popovich he'll make a player out of him quickly. I say let's try to do that unless an amazing offer comes in before the deadline (two first rounders or equivalent).

He and Sengun can develop better strength, chemistry, defensive communication and passing by early 2023. To me that's something to look forward to, but again a great offer changes a lot.

anchel likes this.
  12. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Sell High Stone!!!!

i3artow i3aller likes this.
  13. Williamson

You want to pay him the max? Keep in mind we won't be able to sign other free agent stars once we have a max player on this roster. One and a couple guys on mid contracts pretty much means you don't have enough cap room to bring anybody but mid level and minimum guys. So you need to believe that we already have the guys we need to win a championship if you're going to give Wood the max.

juanming likes this.
  14. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Unless he is signing a 4 year 80 million dollar extension tomorrow, he needs to be gone ASAP.

People seemingly dont understand how long it is going to take for us to be relevant.

He doesn't fit the timeline.

slothy420, Der Rabbi, fattz and 8 others like this.
  15. DaBeard

DaBeard Member

It took Memphis only 2-3 seasons to become a playoff contender after they drafted Ja Morant

16. BonziWellsGOAT

Yes think. Obviously they most likely wouldn't but I have no idea how low they are on Wiseman. Though I do think it has more to do with how high they are on Kuminga.

17. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

The goal is not to be a playoff contender.

2/3s of the league are playoff contenders, that's easy.

The goal is to be a championship contender. To be the team Ja Morant demands to be traded too once he gets tired of being in the play in tournament on a treadmill.

18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

What? I think you have to be a playoff contender before a championship one.....

DD

harold bingo and Rudyc281 like this.
  19. anchel

anchel Member

Why doesn fit the timeline? Is not like he is in his prime, he has a long career ahead. Why do we want huge amounts of cap space?
    We have to fill the caproll at some way and Gordon and Wall contracts will expire (they actually don't fit the timeline). Mm.... if you want to be any good you gonna need some good players. Plus rookies have a hard time to flourish onto terrible dynamics.

I absolutely reject the idea of trading him for more freaking draft picks.

D-rock likes this.
  20. Htown's Finest

Supporting Member

Long time D-rock! How are you bud? I do agree that getting rid of Wood would be a tough pill to swallow, but I'm not really sure how much of a choice the Rockets really have here. I doubt he resigns back here and we aren't in a position to let an asset just walk away and get nothing in return. Both scenarios suck but I'd rather at least get something in return for Wood's services. But that's just my thoughts...