1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

We need a new plan to take care of our elders

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by VanityHalfBlack, Nov 28, 2021.

1. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I have an aunt that does all that at a care home in small-town east texas, I think she gets paid like 9 bucks an hour.

jiggyfly and VanityHalfBlack like this.
  2. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

CF gunna take care their own oldsters... um, right?

VanityHalfBlack likes this.
  3. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

60% death tax over 4 million. Let the oldies take care of themselves.

If they can't, let the youngins liquidate their savings so they can buy a house

Fin.

4. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

I’m getting old enough to see the dark at the end of the tunnel. I’m okay if they take me out to the pasture and pop a cap in my head.

5. Invisible Fan

Can I call dibs to your sound system?

Squirtle and B-Bob like this.
  6. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

If you think this is bad have you ever stopped and considered how much of your tax dollars go to pay for the elderly? A hint it’s far more than anything else.

Medicare and Social Security are the obvious ones but 2/3 of Medicaid dollars goes to Seniors because Medicare won’t cover nursing home care. There is an entire legal industry dedicated to divesting elder assets so Seniors will qualify.

Not to mention all the rest of what people consider welfare that Seniors are receiving like Section 8 housing and food stamps.

Really what it comes down to is the American culture of everyone for themselves, kick out the kids at 18, and move far away from each other. Other cultures have multigenerational households where there is support for childcare and elder care saving everyone money and providing a stronger village to raise a child and dignity and respect for our elders.

Good luck shifting this country to see passed whatever the next FB meme however.

jiggyfly, Nook, Reeko and 7 others like this.
  7. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Did we just become best friends?

8. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

9. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

If you're worried about burning through your nest egg that you want to pass on to your kids get long-term care insurance.

10. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

First step in this plan should be paying the important people who do this job more than $9 an hour so there isn't a constant shortage of qualified direct care workers.

gifford1967 likes this.
  11. CCorn

CCorn Member

Squidgame - senior edition

jiggyfly likes this.
  12. droxford

droxford Member

Yes - but surely you must know that your family is never going to say "Well, it's time to just let him die." And just because you're not able to wipe your ass doesn't mean death is ready to take you.

I'm sure you don't WANT to live through that, but you should try to be as prepared as possible for that to happen.

Saving a ton of money for retirement is extremely important. It's also important for our government to NOT try to reduce our ability to save/invest for retirement or for our government to tax us heavier on our retirement funds.

13. Invisible Fan

Soylent Green - A satisfying form of Veganism

jiggyfly likes this.
  14. VanityHalfBlack

Hope bro. All you need is hope. I believe, I'm from alief

15. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

I don't have kids so I hope my nieces take pity on me :D If I get to that point where I cant take care of myself then I hope someone takes me behind the barn and puts me out of my misery.

16. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

another reason I moved out of Texas to one of the blue states where compassionate end of life is legal. (I believe Montana is the only Red State where compassionate end of life care is legal)

Physician-assisted death or "medical aid in dying" is legal in eleven jurisdictions: California, Colorado, District of Columbia, Hawaii, Montana, Maine, New Jersey, New Mexico, Oregon, Vermont, and Washington.

17. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I've met so many older white folk scared shitless about retirement because of the the aspect of long term care. Their children couldn't care less for them and that's a shame but obviously part of "American rugged individualism". It's a culture I will never understand but whatevs.

18. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

It's part of dysfunctional white boomer families.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  19. Roscoe Arbuckle

This. I'm guessing the OP doesn't know about LTC insurance. It is expensive, but there are investment options that provide LTC instead of interest.

20. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

It's always funny thinking about boomers who did nothing to deserve their wealth other than be born after WW2. Must be nice to feel so entitled and yet so judgmental of their children.